PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Read "Networked Machinists: High Tech Industries in Antebellum America"?

Tuckerfan
11-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I was just poking around on Amazon and stumbled across it. (http://www.amazon.com/Networked-Machinists-High-Technology-Industries-Antebellum/dp/0801884713/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194982065&sr=1-35) Based on the title and the only blurb on the page, it looks interesting.
"An excellent book about the origin of antebellum machinist networks and their profound effect on U.S. industrialization across a wide range of industries. In focusing on the machinists and not just the machines, it advances our understanding of technological change." -- Ross D. Thomson, University of Vermont, author of The Path to Mechanized Shoe Production in the United States

moldmonkey
11-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Looks like a interesting book. It's amazing how interconnected the early machinists, designers, and company founders were. Often having worked at the armories and moving on and making the journey. The Cope books have reprinted histories and letters that are full of these examples. One that sticks with me is John Grant (founder of what became Greenfield Tap & Die) talking about when (Samuel?) Morse, who he had worked with, came out with twist drills. The toolmakers laughed at them but he said they never made their own drills again. He had worked at Brown & Sharpe up to 1859 and also talks of being friends with both Mr. Pratt and Mr. Whitney.

Al Messer
11-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Well, at that price, I'll have to see if my local library can come up with a borrowed copy.

lwalker
11-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Or you can ask them to buy it. Seriously. I have requested it in the past and if the librarian considers it a worthwhile addition to their collection, they will usually purchase the book and call you when it's available.

I love libraries :-)

My last job went one better than the public library. If you asked for a book the company library didn't have and a manager approved it, they would buy two books and give one to the requesting employee and keep one in the library. Gotta love working for a $4Bn engineering company!

Well, at that price, I'll have to see if my local library can come up with a borrowed copy.