PDA

View Full Version : How not to remove a lugnut

wierdscience
11-13-2007, 11:34 PM
SOUTHWORTH, Wash. - A man trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut blasted the wheel with a 12-gauge shotgun, injuring himself badly in both legs, sheriff's deputies said.

The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln Continental for two weeks at his home northwest of Southworth, about 10 miles southwest of Seattle, and had gotten all but one of the lug nuts off the right rear wheel by Saturday afternoon, Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson said.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said.

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the wheel and was "peppered" in both legs with buckshot and debris, with some injuries as high as his chin, according to a sheriff's office report.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

Okay, now somebody please tell me at what point does the thought “Well, the WD-40 isn’t working… so I guess what we really need here is shotgun” flash through a man’s mind? I mean, other than in prison.

Seriously though, what the hell would possess someone to use a shotgun to try to repair a car? And why, oh why, are we rendering medical care to people that are that stupid? In the wild, if a squirrel decided that the best way to open a nut was to crush it between a bear’s jaws he would be summarily eaten and thus his mentally inferior genetics would be skimmed off the gene pool. In ancient Sparta, the unfit were tossed off of a cliff. In America, they’re given a Chilton’s guide, a box of ammo, and Medicaid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just too funny,sad part is I know people like that:D

S_J_H
11-13-2007, 11:49 PM
but whut ah's hankerin' t'knows is did he git thet dadburned lug nut off?

jmm360
11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Yes, that made all the papers around here. At last report the shotgun was unharmed.

That's in Forrest's neck of the waterfront, maybe he knows something.

Carld
11-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, that shows that all the rednecks aren't here in the South.

He's due for an anger management and common sense course.

Had he taken those courses he would have known to get a 10' length of 1 1/2" pipe, aimed the pipe at the offending lug nut at an angle, stuck the barrel of the shotgun in the pipe and blasted the nut.

Now that's how a smart redneck in the South would do it:rolleyes: .

ProGunOne
11-14-2007, 01:19 AM
he would have known to get a 10' length of 1 1/2" pipe

I agree, standing way too close. :p

uute
11-14-2007, 04:33 AM
--- what year is the Lincoln?? :D

Tuckerfan
11-14-2007, 05:25 AM
Having owned a 1988 Lincoln Continental, I completely understand why the man shot his car. They should have called those things Edsels. No, wait, the Edsels were better made than my Lincoln. Perhaps Pinto would be more accurate.

Your Old Dog
11-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I think I got a pretty good idea where he was coming from. I use a hammer much the same way as he used the shotgun! It seems with me, on just about every project I tackle there is always one screw or bolt that won't go on or off. In my case it's become laughable :D I have a large collection of hammers!

laddy
11-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Bet he got a Bang out of that!! He didn't just go off half shot, he set his sites on an idea, better than a Barrel of monkeys!

speedsport
11-14-2007, 06:32 AM
actually I had a Pinto, not a bad little car at all. I had been mad enough at cars before to shoot them, but I don't have a gun.

dalee100
11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Hi,

It's those kinds of people that disturb my sleep when my pager goes off in the middle of the night.:rolleyes:

dalee

Barlow L
11-14-2007, 07:36 AM
actually I had a Pinto, not a bad little car at all. I had been mad enough at cars before to shoot them, but I don't have a gun.

Paid Inspector Nicely Too Overlook :D

Seriously, the man went about it the wrong way. He should have gotten out the 3006 and shot the stud from the nut.

Lee

Dawai
11-14-2007, 08:07 AM
Perhaps he planned on the ambulance attendants to loosen the nut?
Them are big ole boys that work in them ambulances.

Randolph
11-14-2007, 08:27 AM
This demonstrates why I have said that having my computer in my shop in dangerous proximity to hammers and torches is a disaster waiting to happen.

Your Old Dog
11-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Perhaps he planned on the ambulance attendants to loosen the nut?
Them are big ole boys that work in them ambulances.

That ain't true David. They just look big when you're laying flat on your back in some bar room after a brawl :D :D

andy_b
11-14-2007, 12:52 PM
while i have never taken a shotgun to a lugnut (at least not on a vehicle i later intended to drive), i did one time have the bright idea of trying to remove a tire/wheel stuck on an axle by taking a 3# sledgehammer to the tire, the tire being fully inflated. in such an instance a tire will act as a perfectly elastic material with 100% conservation of energy. my leg was sore for a week. :)

andy b.

lugnut
11-14-2007, 01:05 PM
This all proves that you should treat ALL Lugnuts with tender, loving, care.
Mel:D

x39
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Years ago one of my running partners was a big Norwegian guy. One day he was driving along and came upon a woman with a flat tire. He was a pretty good guy and stopped to offer assistance. Maybe someone can help me out here, was it Chrysler that used to have left handed lug nuts on one side of the vehicle? Anyway, he got on his four way and twisted all the studs right off in the hub. Not being able to offer any assistance beyond that, he apologized and went on his way.

BadDog
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Yep, that would be a Chrysler (and a few other old school brands).

Carld
11-14-2007, 01:45 PM
It's good he left after twisting them off and extremely fortunate she didn't have a shotgun or pistol.

Michael Edwards
11-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Guns don't kill people, lugnuts do. :D

ME

Alistair Hosie
11-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Once when I was in the states I rented a lincoln town car ,it was very springy but a nicely made car. I prefered the new lincoln town estate car that's a beautiful car.I bought a new car myself pick it up next friday a vauxhaull verctra estate in black nice and roomy for the big guy:DAlistair

Alistair Hosie
11-14-2007, 01:58 PM
How many pinto's do you guys have in a Gallon?seriously petrol/gas is over a pound per litre here now thats about $10 a gallon Alistair

mlucek
11-14-2007, 02:50 PM
I had been mad enough at cars before to shoot them, but I don't have a gun.My sentiments with computers .... and I do have the means to shoot them :D

bigbill04
11-14-2007, 02:52 PM
Maybe someone can help me out here, was it Chrysler that used to have left handed lug nuts on one side of the vehicle?

In 1990 I started working as a tech in the Sears' Auto Center in Kingston, NY. I had never used air tools nor used a tire changing machine. After a few weeks of minimal training, I was on my own. I had a Chrysler something or other that I needed to remove all the rims from. One side of the car the lugs came off no problem, but when I got to the other side they seemed like they were frozen on. One of the allegedly knowlegeable tire guys tried to give me a hand using his heavy duty Ingersoll 1/2" impact gun. I stood there a watched him work his butt off trying to remove them, but with no luck at all. I did a lot of reading while on lunch break and all of a sudden it dawned on me that the stud had an "L" marked on it and I remembered reading about what it meant. I told him to reverse the gun and off they all came without any damage. To remove stuck lug nuts we had numerous ways to do it other than using a shotgun. If it was a steel rim sometimes the air chisel would work, or sometimes we just drove on with a BFH a smaller diameter 12 point Craftsman socket on the damaged lug nut, hit the airgun's trigger, and off it would come. Sometimes MAPP gas heat worked too. If the rim was a mag style with a small lug nut hole, we would have to break out Sears' best tools. A 3/8" cordless drill and some cheapo Vermont American made drill bits that we would snag from hardware. We would start with a nicely centered hole and then keep using larger and larger drill bits until the lug nut was so thin a thin screwdriver would remove it. It took hous to do this job and Sears' would not pay us since there wasn't any job code to enter to get paid. The young brain dead tire kids would do all the damage and stupid me would always get the job of fixing their screwups. One kid stripped two in one day and my idiot boss made me drill them. After a few hours of hard drilling work and not making any commission money, I closed my toolbox, punched out, and went home. I returned the next day, but 4 years ago I fell on my right knee and needed it to be replaced. So that was my 12 year career at Sears. To this day I have not spent one single penny at Sears just because they screwed me out of two months of health insurance. Besides, their stuff is not as good as it once was. Bill Senko

andy_b
11-14-2007, 03:13 PM
How many pinto's do you guys have in a Gallon?seriously petrol/gas is over a pound per litre here now thats about $10 a gallon Alistair

our gas is about 7 pounds per gallon. do you put helium in yours that a litre is only a pound? :)

andy b.

Rumbledoll
11-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Worked at Cummins Oregon Diesel a few years back - we had an NTCC 400 come in from Warm Springs Reservation - seems it wouldn't shut down, so they backed off and shot at it with an '06 till it finally died - maybe they weren't real good shots either, because we counted up nine hits before they got the fuel pump.

matador
11-14-2007, 05:48 PM
"actually I had a Pinto, not a bad little car at all"
Ford sent the 2ltr Pinto engine to England,for them to fit in Cortina's.
I had a couple of those.You could always tell where a MK3 or4 Cortina had been parked.When it drove away,there be a puddle of oil!
As for the lugnut guy,it was probably lucky he didn't have any "Geli" to hand:D

Carld
11-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Aw geez Rumble, I wish I had been there. I would have ran to my truck, got my .45 auto and poped 8 big ones in it for them. Always keep a full mag and one in the chamber.

pntrbl
11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
I really need to do some muffler work on my painter van. It sets off the occasional car alarm and I have this fantasy where I keep pulling the trigger until that annoying sob quits making noise.

SP

Lew Hartswick
11-14-2007, 06:28 PM
How many pinto's do you guys have in a Gallon?

That should be " galleon" . It depends on what other cargo it's
carring.
...lew...

Dawai
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
YOD..
Never been on my back in a bar brawl. I have however been crouching under a table while the gunshots were still echoing.

Normally tough drunks after beating the wife, the dogs and the kids go out to bars and have a really surprised look on their face when the rest of the world ain't as easy to dominate and terrorize. I got bullied all during growing up, when I started buying my own groceries I growed a bit.

Most mean drunks are cowards. I had a mean one here last week, beat a 65 year old woman with a pistol to the head, I was asking him about it when my "baby brother" walked in the door behind him. He looked around to see he was sandwiched between 600+lbs of Cofers and he had a rabbit look in his eyes.
I still think of him as my baby brother. We had it rough growing up.

Back to work, I'm bored.

wierdscience
11-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Well if my life were to depend on a bolt I would want it to be a Ford Ranger wheel stud.My dad called me over because he had a flat and couldn't break the lugs loose.I got there,tried,at 340 6'5" I am not what would be called dainty and I couldn't get them to budge either.Finally I broke out my Proto 1/2" breaker bar and jumping on the handle got them broke loose.

The last time he put tries on it the tire shop sucked the lugs down so tight they pulled through the rim and bottomed on the rotor.I went back to the tire shop and told them what happened and they agreed to pay for four new rims and a full set of lugs and studs.Before I left I asked what brand of impact wrench they used and the following week bought one.I figured any impact that would stand up to that much use and still torque up like that had to be a good one:D

ProGunOne
11-15-2007, 12:33 AM
I figured any impact that would stand up to that much use and still torque up like that had to be a good one

Do tell, what kind of impact was it?