PDA

View Full Version : Lathe dumped

Duct Taper
11-14-2007, 02:41 PM
My son was trying to get a Clausing 4900 10" lathe unloaded from a pickup alone, using a cherry picker hoist. He got it elevated and instead of pulling the pickup away first he tried pulling the hoist. The roller on one of the legs of the hoist ran up against a small rock which caused the leg to be pulled out of the hoist socket. With only one leg remaining, the hoist tipped over and dumped the Clausing. The leg was only held into it's socket by a setscrew instead of having a pin going all the way through the leg and socket and it didn't hold the leg in.

If you have a hoist designed like this one you might think about drilling a few holes so pins can be used instead of setscrews. Now we are looking for a spindle hand wheel, upper side gear cover and lower side motor door. Expensive mistake......

andy_b
11-14-2007, 03:02 PM
My son was trying to get a Clausing 4900 10" lathe unloaded from a pickup alone, using a cherry picker hoist. He got it elevated and instead of pulling the pickup away first he tried pulling the hoist. The roller on one of the legs of the hoist ran up against a small rock which caused the leg to be pulled out of the hoist socket. With only one leg remaining, the hoist tipped over and dumped the Clausing. The leg was only held into it's socket by a setscrew instead of having a pin going all the way through the leg and socket and it didn't hold the leg in.

If you have a hoist designed like this one you might think about drilling a few holes so pins can be used instead of setscrews. Now we are looking for a spindle hand wheel, upper side gear cover and lower side motor door. Expensive mistake......

THAT SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my engine hoist is like yours (setscrew). i think i'll put a few holes in the locations i commonly set it at. i hope you can find your parts for a reasonable price.

andy b.

rockrat
11-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Hope he is ok. Damn shame for sure. I have seen all sorts of stories on this type of thing. I think we even had a post a while back on a small mill that got dumped.

Heard of a fella getting pinned once cause he was by himself. After that I swore that I would never move anything alone again.

Especially because the wife doesnt have enough insuracne on me to support her and the pool boy when I'm gone. :D

rock-

John Stevenson
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Has the pool boy got any insurance ?

IOWOLF
11-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Nothing a little Duct Tape Cant fix I'm sure.:)

Alistair Hosie
11-14-2007, 05:27 PM
"DUCT TAPE " thank god your not a brain surgeon Wolfie:DAlistair

Optics Curmudgeon
11-14-2007, 05:38 PM
Ever seen the tools surgeons use? I'll bet there's some duct tape in there.

Carld
11-14-2007, 05:46 PM
My cherry picker (engine lift) has the extension legs held in with a bolt that is tightened against the square tube.

If the bolt is tight it will not allow the tube to slide out. I have used mine to lift a complete four cylinder Detroit engine to R&I it and lifted lathes and a mill with it. I have owned and used it since 1984 and never had trouble. I do not move it with heavy loads by myself. It may take three or four people to move it sometimes.

Have you considered the bolt/setscrew was loose. Putting holes for the setscrew to go in will not keep it from tipping. Also, you should never try to move the lift with that much weight by yourself. Any slight swaying of the load can cause it to tip over to the side or tip to the front if the top arm is overextended. Jerking on the lift to move it may cause it to tip over.

I am sorry to hear about the damage to your lathe and glad your son did not get injured.

IOWOLF
11-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Ever seen the tools surgeons use? I'll bet there's some duct tape in there.

I know Crazy Glue is, Our Marine medics in the 70's were using it.:eek:

Spin Doctor
11-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Hope the Clausing is OK, the heck with the hoist! When I was working we were having one of the maintenance areas moved. The area lathe, which the millwrights were not allowed to use, was the next thing they had to pick up. The millwright, who no one could tell anything, dumped it off of the forks. When it landed it tore the apron right off of the saddle and cracked the cross slide ways. Guys who were there swear he was smiling when it happened.

tony ennis
11-14-2007, 06:50 PM
"I know Crazy Glue is, Our Marine medics in the 70's were using it."

Sometimes stitches take too long.

Dawai
11-14-2007, 07:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/truckcrane.jpg
You evidently have the wrong base on that cherry picker, discard the one that came with it and install a chevy 4wd. Mucho better to use outside.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/powerwagonginpole.jpg
If you really want to impress me.. build a gin pole.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Sscn1428.jpg
In actual use..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/Sscn1431.jpg
This was not broken in a lift, but I had a hook on the strap off the cherry picker welded to the 14 ga chromed bumper. It has been replaced with something much more substantial.

Just thank god nobody was seriously hurt, machines don't have feelings or bones to heal.. you can buy another, you can't buy life.

S_J_H
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
super glue factoid I read about many many years ago when I was still heavily into guitar playing- The legendary Stevie Ray Vaughn, a blues -Jimi Hendrix style virtuoso guitarist would sometimes practice until his fingers bled. He would seal them up with super glue and keep on a rockin!

Steve

wierdscience
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I got two pickers,one with the setscrews and one with cross pins both are welded solid with the legs at full extension so if someone borrows one they can't do something stupid like have the hook out past the front wheels.

I also make sure and pull the vehicle out from under the load and set a couple legnths of 4x4 under whatever I am moving across the legs and set about 75% of the loads weight down on the legs.At that point it's more of a dolly than a hoist and it's safe to drag push or pull.

andy_b
11-14-2007, 09:34 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/powerwagonginpole.jpg
If you really want to impress me.. build a gin pole.

i bet Evan has one of those for the Land Rover. :)

andy b.

tony ennis
11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
The legendary Stevie Ray Vaughn, a blues -Jimi Hendrix style virtuoso guitarist would sometimes practice until his fingers bled. He would seal them up with super glue

That's a common guitarist survival tool. When you tear a callous off you can glue it back on. It burns.

Evan
11-14-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't exactly have a gin pole but the Rover is pretty handy at lifting stuff.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/scoop1.jpg

Pete H
11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
That's a common guitarist survival tool. When you tear a callous off you can glue it back on. It burns.

I get cold-weather cracks in my fingertips, starting around now, continuing until April. The usual remedies (Carmex, for instance) don't help much. I used to use "New-Skin", then I discovered that clear nailpolish "topcoat" - the kind with nylon fibres in it - works better. Stings like blazes until it dries, though.

I have some cyanoacrylate in the fridge, so I'll try that too.

Pete in NJ

Carld
11-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Pete, the crazy glue works but it's best to push the split together as much as posible.

oil mac
11-15-2007, 04:35 PM
Couple of years ago, I went to purchase a small lathe from a one man band organisation, ( easily lifted by myself) and put in car, The man who owned the place was scrapping a big milling machine, and was very downhearted and dissolusioned, Upon asking him why, this was the reply, Working alone late one night, He was a bit of a loner, moving the milling machine, he got trapped when the machine came over on top of him, fortunately its downward travel was arrested by a workbench, although trapped for two hours, and badly bruised, he managed to extricate himself from the situation, vowing he was finished with machinery for ever.

Another case i came across, was a millwright and a heavy forklift driver were moving a heavy machine tool, the millwright was steadying the said machine tool and signalling the driver, Everything was going fine, suddenly no sound from the millwright, the machine had crushed him against the wall, fatally Both very sad occurances, Listen guys you cant be too careful, one moments inatention or something going wrong and the consequences dont bear thinking about, Dont move heavy machines alone