PDA

View Full Version : It Doesn't Get More Simple Than This Project

Nick Carter
11-16-2007, 01:24 AM
This is what I did yesterday for a fun little project in between (non-shop, non-fun) work.

http://www.cartertools.com/150screw.html

Just a simple little screw.

Nick

tattoomike68
11-16-2007, 02:17 AM
Nice , could you imagine the bill to have it made at a job shop?

Your Old Dog
11-16-2007, 05:50 AM
That pistol isn't named "Willhema" is it? Was it official Axe issue?

tony ennis
11-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Nice. I remember the rear site of that pistol!

Nick Carter
11-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Only someone named Nick Carter, who has been given ratty paperbacks his whole life by people for a laugh on birthdays, would get that joke. Oh, and the pistol is named Wilhelmina. I had to check Wikipedia about that. 261 crappy novels...

That pistol isn't named "Willhema" is it? Was it official Axe issue?

mochinist
11-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice , could you imagine the bill to have it made at a job shop?$65+,,,cheaper than the machine tools for a home shop but not as fun

BobWarfield
11-16-2007, 12:10 PM
BTW, Nick, you comment on bluing. Cold bluing available from places like Brownell's works astonishgly well. You may not want to use it on your new pistol part, but I like it to add contrast and protection for various pieces of tooling I make. For example, on a chuck backplate I made:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/MTLathe6Jaw.htm

Cheers,

BW

Nick Carter
11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Of course a guy on one of the airgun forums pointed out I could have bought a replacement screw for around $3.50...but where's the fun in that?

$65+,,,cheaper than the machine tools for a home shop but not as fun

Nick Carter
11-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Yes, I even have some, maybe when the joy of just looking at the screw wears off I'll blue it. Of course the whole pistol needs rebluing...I'm tempted to get one of those blueing pens they sell as well, might be handier for small parts.

When are you going to update your blog? I love reading it.

BTW, Nick, you comment on bluing. Cold bluing available from places like Brownell's works astonishgly well. You may not want to use it on your new pistol part, but I like it to add contrast and protection for various pieces of tooling I make. For example, on a chuck backplate I made:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/MTLathe6Jaw.htm

Cheers,

BW

Your Old Dog
11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
Only someone named Nick Carter, who has been given ratty paperbacks his whole life by people for a laugh on birthdays, would get that joke. Oh, and the pistol is named Wilhelmina. I had to check Wikipedia about that. 261 crappy novels...

Well, I am a poor reader! The only books to hold my attention are the box of books you have. I read them normally in one sitting. Any other reading I do seems to take me some time to get through ! Hugo would be the stelleto and I forgot the name of the two nuclear bombs we carries somewhere next to his watcha-call-its !!

Nick Carter
11-16-2007, 02:52 PM
I just blued the screw, it took all of 3 minutes. Looks much better. added a pic of the blued screw and I found the old damaged one (behind the leg of my bench, how did it get there?) and put a pic up of it as well...

Yes, my life is this exciting!

Nick

Ken_Shea
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Yes, my life is this exciting!

:D :D

Mike Burdick
11-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Nick, nice work! :)

Sometimes when I need a "custom" screw I make them from existing screws and turn them down. That way I don't have to spend a lot of time making the head, especially if they are Allen, Torx or other.

BobWarfield
11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes, I even have some, maybe when the joy of just looking at the screw wears off I'll blue it. Of course the whole pistol needs rebluing...I'm tempted to get one of those blueing pens they sell as well, might be handier for small parts.

When are you going to update your blog? I love reading it.

And I love working on it, when I have time!

Right now I'm involved in getting together a new startup. It's been all consuming. Eventually I'll get head above water and I'll get back to it. I look longingly at the tools. I check up every now and again and apply a little oil to make sure everything stays healthy.

I recently gave away a bunch of junk to make room in a garage stall for a full sized lathe. I tell myself when I get the company up and running my reward will be a Mori Seiki. We'll see!

Best,

BW

JRouche
11-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Of course a guy on one of the airgun forums pointed out I could have bought a replacement screw for around $3.50...but where's the fun in that?

LOL.. I hear that from machine shop owners (freinds) and folks who dont have any machine shop tools.. Yup, this IS the fun!!! Its great being a HSM... Great write-up too. Thanks Nick, JRouche

ahidley
11-20-2007, 01:11 PM
BobWarfield

Hello Robert,
I saw your page on lathes , WOW what alot of priceless info!! , Anyway I am interested in a "constant face system". At least thats what you called it. I cannot find anything on e-bay from 800watt. I have purchased alot of stuff from him. please tell me EXACTLY what the name of this center is called as advertised on ebay..

"The modern alternative to turning between centers. Instead of using lathe dogs, which are kind of a nuisance to set up, the constant face system uses hydraulic or other force to grip and drive the spindle end. You can now buy these systems relatively cheaply on eBay (see seller 800Watt who sold me mine). More on this when I get a chance to experiment with the rig I purchased. Meanwhile, if you are curious, do a little Google footwork. I found these interesting links:"