PDA

View Full Version : cane i made on my wood and my metal lathe

airsmith282
11-16-2007, 07:41 PM
:D took me the last 3 days but its done and ready to ship to its new owner now ,i hope he is impressed as iam with it..used me wood lathe and metal lathe to make it

EDIT: weighed it in this morrning its 14 ounces and 36 inches long the pic makes it look fat and short

http://usera.imagecave.com/airsmith282/Imadethiscane-copy.jpg

sasquatch
11-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Good looking Cane Airsmith!!

Now if i had one of those i,d need a "Top Hat" and of course a BIG cigar!:p

Ray in N. Ont.

Did you find out any more "History" on that Small lathe you posted about awhile ago??

airsmith282
11-16-2007, 08:40 PM
no i never found out more realy but i also traded it off to a buddy of mine for a big wood lathe he had ,so no iam able to make bowls and canes and plates and all kinds of cool stuff now, well my wife will be lol i prefer my metal munching

JRouche
11-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Nice CLUB!! I mean walkin stick.. Any hidden compartments or daggers? :) JRouche

airsmith282
11-17-2007, 08:15 AM
nope no hidden stuff inside the cane, nice idea heheheh,

IOWOLF
11-17-2007, 08:34 AM
I mad one similar a long time ago, the difference is mine shot 12 gram co2 capsules , they were held in with a snug fit and a spring loaded striker pierced the end and it shot out the end with a whooosh and a Thud when it hit. Not lethal but it would make you think twice about any wrong doing to the holder.

airsmith282
11-17-2007, 10:07 AM
now thats a cool idea care to share the design id like to make me one of thoes :D :D :D :D

Evan
11-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice work. One of the advantages of a cane is it's the one weapon that you can take anywhere. I made one for myself a while back, partly because I need it sometimes. We have an enormous very old juniper tree and I cut a branch from it a decade ago. Last year I finished the wood into a cane, a western rustic, this being a cow town. Juniper is a beautiful wood with a very nice aroma when it is worked. It's really hard though to find a piece large enough to make anything from.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics2/cane2.jpg

airsmith282
11-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Evan thats a really nice cane i love the wood grain in the wood as well , very well done..

Alistair Hosie
11-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Long Evan Silver me hearties:DAlistair

IOWOLF
11-17-2007, 05:14 PM
now thats a cool idea care to share the design id like to make me one of thoes :D :D :D

It is a very simple design, if you are older than 15 you can figure it out.

A tube, a spring, a nail,and a prayer.:rolleyes:

airsmith282
11-17-2007, 09:13 PM
does iam 39 count

:D

andy_b
11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
It is a very simple design, if you are older than 15 you can figure it out.

A tube, a spring, a nail,and a prayer.:rolleyes:

be careful if you build one (or at least if you take it anywhere). i am fairly certain it would be illegal in some states/localities in the U.S. i don't know about the rest of the world.

andy b.

Evan
11-18-2007, 02:25 AM
Concealed weapons of that sort are prohibited in Canada. It's a federal offense.

airsmith282
11-18-2007, 08:19 AM
i was only kidding around guys i know the laws very well in canada iam not some stuiped kid that dont know anything i keep my self out of problems thank you ..

IOWOLF
11-18-2007, 08:52 AM
In the U.S. it is still an air gun. So let's not go down that road again folks,I don't care how many country's look at this You have to be aware of your own laws before you build any thing of that nature.

E.O.R.

Your Old Dog
11-18-2007, 08:53 AM
Nice job on the cane. I scored 3 nice branches from a Privet shrub about 10 years ago. I was trying to wrestle the shrub back into control. Thought maybe my elderly neighbor would like a proper walking stick but he preferred his aluminum job. Never knew I'd one day be using them myself.

Airsmith, how did you come by the wood? Wondering if it's a single branch or if it's turned from a blank. You may know that when you turn from blanks it works best if the wood is rived as the axe will follow the grain giving you a stronger stick. Otherwise if the grain runs out of the wood it could fail on you the first time he lays it upside some creeps head :D Then he'll have what they call nunchucks if the ends are tied together !

Here's a an article from a quick Google that explains riving. http://www.greenwoodworking.com/riving/riving.htm