PDA

View Full Version : Riser block info.

A.K. Boomer
11-16-2007, 10:23 PM
Not the kind that raises the hight of your mill head, the other kind that you set on the table, What do you do with them? I have the oportunity to pick up a prestine Mitutoyo (I think 5") riser block in its very nice original case for a really really cheap price, so cheap it would actually be a nice thing to have on the coffee table, or throw it on E-bay if it gets to dusty:p

So what do you do with them anyways...?

wierdscience
11-16-2007, 10:49 PM
IIRC they go under these-

http://www.mitutoyo.co.jp/eng/products/gaugeblock/kijunki_01.html

I had one,a 12" older height master,I sold it on Ebay since I had little use for it.

BadDog
11-16-2007, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I've been looking at a Starret version of the height gage, and there are 2 different bases with it. One is something like 4", the other maybe 10"? I need it like I need another hole in my head, but that don't stop me from wanting it. :D

wierdscience
11-16-2007, 11:08 PM
OOOH the one I had was a fine piece of work,ground,lapped,scrapped and polished in every nook and cranny.Movement smooth as silk and hammerflake paint everywhere else.

Base had three carbide buttons that were the feet,those rested on top of three more carbide buttons on the riser block.

After seeing one up close and personal you can easily see why they cost $3500+ new.Sadly they only fetch $450 or so on Ebay.

A.K. Boomer
11-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Kinda what im finding out, there not a real necessity but I guess when you need one you need one, I really dont see any kind of need but maybe to re-sell it, I can get this 5" in like new shape in case for 35 bucks so what the heck,,, keep in mind my 35 bucks is like you guy'ses 350, until Mom sends me another check:p

wierdscience
11-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Well if you had the height master to go with it and the all important certification was intact and to date,then you could use it as a master to verify all your other measuring tools to within .00001",but like me you probibly don't need that:D

http://www.mitutoyo.co.jp/eng/products/gaugeblock/Gauge%20standard.pdf

A.K. Boomer
11-17-2007, 12:55 AM
Oh God no, I dont need that! when im machining its kinda a horseshoe's and hangranade's thing, unless of course it's a press fit:) but i still dont need that...:eek:

BadDog
11-17-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah, that's why I haven't brought home that Starrett. No matter how good the deal, sometimes you just gotta say "WTF do I need with that?"

toastydeath
11-17-2007, 03:13 AM
We use our height master to rapidly set a DTI. Much faster than getting out a stack of gage blocks to check single items. Gage blocks are great if you're going to make a bunch of something and want to set up a gauge at the machine, not so great if you are checking one thing.

The big inspection plate has one height master, and a bunch of DTIs on fancy height-gauge-esque holders for rapid raising/lowering. Makes the inspection department's life much easier.