PDA

View Full Version : 2 recent small projects

BadDog
11-17-2007, 02:39 AM
I sometimes feel like I don't give much back, so I finally thought to take some pics of last a couple of projects from last weekend. I most often make little small things that don't merit posting. Things like rough special purpose tools, bushings, adjustment slots, and so on. But I made these for use on other projects, and I expect they are something others might use.

http://www.members.cox.net/baddog4x4/shop/projects.jpg

The "sensitive drill" is obvious. Picked up a cheap 1/4 Albrecht on a 3/8 straight arbor a while back. Had to cut a MT3 Jacobs arbor off another chuck that went on a dedicated spindle (NOTHING would remove that arbor short of cutting and boring). So I had the 2 pieces laying around, and decided to make something of them. You see the result. The bore is 3" deep, perfectly (well, you know...) straight, and tight enough that it acts as an air spring. You have to push the shank in and hold it for a moment or it'll spit it back out. :D Works wonderfully and oh so smooth. I'm rather happy with it. Total cost, < $20

The other is something I made because I'm getting tired of single pointing threads. I can't find buttons that I'll pay for (did I mention I'm cheap?), but I've got some better than average hex dies. I saw some die holders that work like this for the buttons, but never for a hex. This one is not quite done yet, but it's made from a 1.25 import impact socket. Bored out the 1/2" square hole to 3/4", and made the spindle from a medium carbon steel bar (based on spark test anyway). All that remains is putting a 3/16 pin on the spindle collar facing the socket. And making 3 radial cuts using the indexer on the back side of the socket. That way when you feed the spindle to the back of the socket, the pin will engage one of the 6 slots and lock the two together. When your deep enough, just back off (or stop feeding and let it walk off) so that the pin disengages and free spins the socket. Reverse the motor (love that 3 phase), re-engage the pin (aka dog clutch) to back off the die. This can be used in my big 20" VSG drill press for pretty much any diameter, on the Bpt for smaller diameters, or even in the TS of my lathe, though I'll be fitting a tommy bar to the spindle rather than let the MT3 take the torque (and certainly spin).

BadDog
11-17-2007, 02:44 AM
Oh, and that piece of tube was faced to the proper length to hold the die at the face of the socket. And you can also see the #8 SHCS on the business end of the socket. That holds the die in place. Not sure how I'll fasten the piece of tube in...

mochinist
11-17-2007, 05:01 PM
Looks nice baddog, but maybe if you would have made it an OT thread and talked about the origin of computers or something, it would have got more replies.:D

BadDog
11-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Hehe, I was sorta thinking the same thing... :rolleyes:

But then again, this is just an FYI and not a question. I'm not looking for pats on the back. Compared to some of the very nicely done stuff shown here, my stuff is mostly just rough and coarsely made. I was just trying to share something that was simple/cheap and I think also effective/useful. <shrug>

But, then again again, my questions often don't generate much response either. Fortunately, some of the most knowledgeable do reply, so I generally get what I need, but sure seems like some of them would generate more than 2 or 3 replies compared to random OT about non-machining matters going 6 or 7+ pages...

Bill Pace
11-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Baddog, Mochinist,---- this is a peculiar phenomonen I've also noticed that occurs on the forum, an interesting, informative, well written, etc, thread (like this one of baddogs) just lying there lanquishing.........sigh!, I guess there will always be Charlie Browns/Rodney Daingerfields

I also notice that the weekends seem to be quite a bit deader than week days.....do a lot of the guys follow along at work?, or.....?

BadDog
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I tell ya, I don't get no respect...

But I did get the little red haired girl... ;)

cybor462
11-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Nice work.. I like the die head idea using the socket. I am working on the hex adapter for my large head. That is on the back shelf for a while but it will get done.

My new smaller head I have been working on has a similar clutch setup like yours but internal. I now have the solid lock model but after many suggestions here I decided I needed a free wheel design. I do not want a Tommy bar for liability reasons. I have tried a pawl design but so far I am not sure which I will go with. There are drawbacks to each. I am making several diderent types and will work them hard and see which I like the best.

Cool stuff. Nice pics..

tiptop
11-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Nice job Baddog, all my die nuts are hex also. I haven't made an adapter yet, but like the importsocket idea, as I am cheap also. Keep up the good work, it's all fun. Jay:)

DICKEYBIRD
11-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Very cool stuff Mr. B/D. I'm having trouble grasping the die/button stuff right now but I'm sure it will hit me at some point. It's Saturday night and I really should be posting in the MUI (machining under the influence) thread but darned if I can find it now. It's either been jerked or I'm too far gone to find it! :D

ps: Post a pic or video when you get the die gizmo finished. Inquiring neophyte minds want to know.:)

wierdscience
11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Got tierd of buying small drills by the dozen huh?:D

Looks good,I have been meaning to build a floating die holder like that for 10 years or better,oh well maybe next year.

Your Old Dog
11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Got some neat ideas there BadDog.

I would have posted earlier but I think like many, the change in the seasons means it's time to get cozy in the shop. Spent most of the day out there! My guess is we'll be seeing a flurry of pictures in the next few days :D

All the best,
Charlie Brown

J. Randall
11-18-2007, 12:35 AM
DB, I think you are on the wrong board. I believe I saw an MUI thread over on PM.
James

DICKEYBIRD
11-18-2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks James, b'gosh you're absolutely right. Things are much clearer this morning with a cup'a joe in hand.;)

John Stevenson
11-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Nice job Baddog, all my die nuts are hex also. I haven't made an adapter yet, but like the importsocket idea, as I am cheap also. Keep up the good work, it's all fun. Jay:)

Well we are backwards in the colonies :D
I made these a while ago for holding ordinary split dies as die nuts for the odd job where I can't get a die holder in like 'U' bolts, head studs, etc.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/hidden/dienuts.jpg

Just a couple of old nuts kicking about [ not mine they aren't big enough ] bored and some adjustment grub screws fitted, not rocket science at all but for the 1/2 hour or so it took to make they have more than paid for themselves.