PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone ID this 2 axis attachment

bob ward
11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Bought this on ebay recently. No idea what I'm going to do with it - you know the story.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160174573655&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:AU:1123

Its arrived, and it really is as cute and well made as the ebay ad says.

The drive from the square input shaft to the 4mm pitch main screw is by a pair of bevel gears and a pair of spur gears to give a 2.5 to 1 ratio, cross screw has a 3mm pitch.

If it was bought for use on the Snowy Mountain Hydro Scheme, it could date anywhere from the late 40's.

If its a backyard job, its come out of a very well equipped backyard.

Does anyone know a maker for this item?

Carld
11-21-2007, 12:07 PM
That is an interesting piece. Could it have been part of a grinder to feed the work across a wheel. Maybe cutter blades?

Is there any way to find out what machines they had at Snowy Mountain? If they had a machine shop they had machinists and one may still be alive. Is there an employee list?

andy_b
11-21-2007, 02:43 PM
i was kind of thinking the same as Carl. there are similar looking things that would get bolted to large planers (woodworking planers) to move a grinder across the planer blades to sharpen them in the machine. in fact i have one for a 24" Oliver planer. they were usually for large planers (over 20" wide), but maybe this is something similar????

andy b.

IOWOLF
11-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Boat anchor. :)

paulx
11-21-2007, 04:09 PM
Its for trueing up the commutator of a large dc motor.My guess.