PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this?(turret lathe)

torker
11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
I'm buying another item from this guy and I'm wondering if I should throw this into the mix. Made in Germany...looks like a handy little turret machine but I'm not sure what one would expect to find for tooling etc. for this machine.
thanks!
Russ
http://cgi.ebay.ca/lathe-collett_W0QQitemZ130175956541QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10 4241QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SGW
11-22-2007, 10:06 AM
Well, I don't think I'd find much use for it, but if you want to make a couple hundred "screw machine parts" on a regular basis it might be just the thing. I think I'd save my money and shop space for something more generally useful...but that's just me. If you want it, go for it!

Presumably the holes in the turret are some standard size, presumably metric. I doubt you'd find much ready-made tooling for it, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make appropriate shanks for whatever you want to mount.

The lever cross slide similarly ought to be readily adaptable even if you can't find anything specifically for it.

torker
11-22-2007, 10:13 AM
SGW..Thanks! I'm just thinking...it's a nice compact unit that should go cheap. My gurl helper has stood in front of my other lathe for quite awhile in the past few weeks doing things that would be quicker on this little machine.
I can buy this cheaper than I can a tailstock turret for my bigger machine.
Russ

IOWOLF
11-22-2007, 10:16 AM
You would be happier with this one. except for the add ons,JackA$$ owner.IMHO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230194456250&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

torker
11-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Nice machine Jay...but a looong ways from here.

IOWOLF
11-22-2007, 10:27 AM
It would pay for itself in a Year,even with shipping it up there,Mine paid for Itself in 3 months (first Job),working part time, at my cheap hourly rates.

wierdscience
11-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Yessssssssssss.

mochinist
11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
If you have the work and space for it, absolutely.

Am I missing something here, look at the price of this pretty simple looking lathe
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cue-Monster-CNC-Cue-Lathe-Inlay-Machine-New_W0QQitemZ140181338143QQihZ004QQcategoryZ97230Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

torker
11-22-2007, 10:59 AM
mo...yup you missed something...you get $25 back if you use MC :D
Umm...that's just a leeeetle steep for that lathe huh?

A.K. Boomer
11-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Its an interesting looking machine and very solid --- the price is right if the critical things are good but what about tooling? Its most likely going to be oddball ------ The thing that strikes me is I remember looking at just about everything when I was looking for a used mill and Now that you brought this up I dont recall ever seeing anything from germany, never gave it much thought till right now, seen about everything else from everywhere but there and now I wonder why ----------- I do remember losing a bid on a very nice rotory table that was made in W. germany, It really broke my heart because it was a beautiful very precision looking piece, it was MM's but was close to 8"
Now I cant even remember the name but it was something like Haufman -

If I was wealthy I think I would get different machines from all around the world, To help me work on all the different exotic cars Id buy:p

mochinist
11-22-2007, 11:24 AM
mo...yup you missed something...you get $25 back if you use MC :D
Umm...that's just a leeeetle steep for that lathe huh?here is their site http://www.cuemonster.com/cnc_machine, I guess with the extras it is probably worth it to someone that just wants to make cues, still I would be tempted to make my own, and I wouldnt use Bobcrap 17

camdigger
11-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Russ

When you go to Edmonton to pick it up, stop by for a cup of coffee on the way by....:D

BTW, there's prolly enough tooling stores in Edmonton you could do your tooling for cheap. Our local industries are a bit slow right now:( The good news is the dealers may be willing to haggle.

Cam

ARFF79
11-24-2007, 02:03 AM
The lathe looks much like one that I ran around 24 years ago. It was of European origin either West German, Austrian or Swiss not sure which at this point, but more importantly, it took 5C collets and used 3/4" shank turret tools. Those holes look a little smaller, so I would guess they would be 5/8". another common turret tool shank. Since it appears to be an older copy of our Hardinge DSM59 I would think that the important parts would be sized in SAE standards for import to the North American market. Turret lathe tooling is plentiful and cheap on eBay, and can also be order new from many of the usual suspects.The thing that would kill the deal for me would be the spindle tooling. If it is not one of the common types like the afore mentioned 5C then you could be looking at large bucks for each collet. From the pictures, it looks like it should be 5C. It has both tool posts for the cross slide ,but seems to be missing the stop screws on the turret for setting each tools work length. If they are of a common thread no problem just some all thread and stop nuts, if not then have fun.

You can make a lot of money with that machine, either by running batchs of parts bid for the lathe,or just by saving time doing secondary opperations on your normal parts. You are also freeing up your larger lathe to do more work at the same time.

matador
11-24-2007, 02:18 AM
5001 RPM?
What on earth would you need that speed for?I think I would like to be outside the building when that is running!:D

John Stevenson
11-24-2007, 06:54 AM
5001 RPM?
What on earth would you need that speed for?I think I would like to be outside the building when that is running!:D

Sounds about right for a wooden cue, we used to run some copy lathes that could go to 7,500.

Not certain how this one operates but remember that most wood copy lathes have their tooling mounted behind a cathead type steady to support the work and prevent whipping.

Ever seen those very long slender Victorian stair spindle?, not the modern chunky ones done on modern copy lathes and wondered how they were done ?

Well when I wanted some new spindles to replace the old damaged ones in this house that have been paneled in for 50 years I asked the wood turning shop I was manager of to make me some new ones, after all if they could make baseball bats to sell on the local markets whilst I wasn't supposed to be looking then surly they could make me 7 spindles to pattern.?

No apparently not, every time they tried to run these they would get spat out the machine as they were too thin for the length.
Making inquiries I found out that the old lathes use the tailstock to pull not push so the wood was in tension and not compression.

So two pieces of angle iron with nails drill thru were hammered onto the new spindles and secured with hose clips. Each end was jury rigged to the headstock and tailstock and away they went and we got 10 new spindles to refurbish out staircase originally built in 1901.

Alistair Hosie
11-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Wolfie I don't understand what the guy means by free then money is mentioned.Alistair

IOWOLF
11-24-2007, 04:58 PM
In reference to post #4 , and the auction. I think he is either telling us what it is worth(in his opinion) or, Telling us we have to pay for those items over the High bidder price.

Spin Doctor
11-24-2007, 05:46 PM
A couple of times I've bid on Rambold Turret Lathes that came up on Ebay. Finally settled on an Elgin split bed. It takes the same tooling as the old Hardinge and this looked to have the same bed design as those two. Same as the old Rivett's too. Somebody over on the PM site just bought an old Rambold. Wish I could of got one when I tried.

wierdscience
11-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Sounds about right for a wooden cue, we used to run some copy lathes that could go to 7,500.

Not certain how this one operates but remember that most wood copy lathes have their tooling mounted behind a cathead type steady to support the work and prevent whipping.

Ever seen those very long slender Victorian stair spindle?, not the modern chunky ones done on modern copy lathes and wondered how they were done ?

Well when I wanted some new spindles to replace the old damaged ones in this house that have been paneled in for 50 years I asked the wood turning shop I was manager of to make me some new ones, after all if they could make baseball bats to sell on the local markets whilst I wasn't supposed to be looking then surly they could make me 7 spindles to pattern.?

No apparently not, every time they tried to run these they would get spat out the machine as they were too thin for the length.
Making inquiries I found out that the old lathes use the tailstock to pull not push so the wood was in tension and not compression.

So two pieces of angle iron with nails drill thru were hammered onto the new spindles and secured with hose clips. Each end was jury rigged to the headstock and tailstock and away they went and we got 10 new spindles to refurbish out staircase originally built in 1901.

John,one of my ancestors patented in 1896 and built machines just for doing that.Diffrence was not only did they pull tension on the spindles,they also powered the tailstock and headstock from a common shaft which greatly reduced torsional vibration in the wood.

moldmonkey
11-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Spin Doctor,

That was Frank Ford. He posted it here as well. Something I thought about after responding to his post on PM and applies to this lathe as well, is if all split bed compounds/crossslides from different makers are interchangeable? My Elgin compound is set-up for the "guides" that mate with the bed to be adjustable for different positions which makes them adjustable for different widths. If the beds are the same angle and the compound doesn't bottom out, I would think they would work and only requiring making tool holders or some shimming to put the tool on center.
For that matter, some shop made guides would overcome any differences in angle and depth.

As far as the original post, if you have the space these 2nd OP lathes are nice to have around even if all you use it for is drilling and parting off.

John Stevenson
11-24-2007, 08:39 PM
It's worth it just to rob the turret off it to fit onto a centre lathe for repetition work.

A while ago I bought an Enco turret off Ebay that came off a 13" Harrison lathe for 50.00 hoping this would fit my medium sized TOS at 14 x 40

When dropped on the bed it was 1/4" too low and 3/16" off centre,
No worry I just bent all the drills to fit :rolleyes:

No seriously I turned the turret down until all the holes had disappeared and pressed a top hatted sleeve over it then re-drilled and reamed from the headstock so I know it's bang on.

Today I lifted it back on and set it up to do drawbars for Bridgeports, step speed and vari speed. These are three part items, the top is 3/4" A/F hex, threaded and then hardened and blacked.
The spindle is high tensile steel in tough condition threaded both ends and there is also a spacer.

These are double life units in that the spacer is extra long and the bottom thread is twice the length with a machined groove at half way.
When the thread wears out you cut the bottom bit off and cut the spacer down to the witness mark and then you have a second life.

Started at 10 this morning and finished all ready to go to heat treat on Monday at 6 tonight and that's 30 spindles threaded both ends, 18 short step nuts, only 6 long vari-speed nuts [ run out of material ] and 30 spacers.

So say 6-1/2 hours taking dinner and breaks out to do nearly 30 drawbars.
Without that turret there is no way I could have done that just on the manual lathe.

torker
11-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Well I "think" I own this now. The guy had no bids on this or his old Wells bandsaw so I made him a "Buy it now" offer on both that he went for. Still haven't heard back from him. I'm looking forward to fooling with this little machine.
And I will be buggin you turret guys for info on tooling, setups etc.
Thanks!
Russ

Spin Doctor
11-25-2007, 10:17 AM
As far as the original post, if you have the space these 2nd OP lathes are nice to have around even if all you use it for is drilling and parting off.

Quite right, especially with the turret and not the tailstock. Originally I got mine to make pre-blanked valves for scale IC engines. Never did get going on that, too many projects around the house.

torker
11-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Cam, I'll have to pass on the coffee for now...lol! I'm getting the machines shipped to me.
Moldmonkey...exactly what I was thinking. I'd like to have it setup for parting, drilling and perhaps chamfering. That'd save a whole bunch of fooling around with my bigger lathe.
I just emailed the pics to Tony at UK lathes to see if he recognises this machine. I see he has some info on German made lathes there already.