PDA

View Full Version : McMaster Catalog 110 Free

Paul Alciatore
11-22-2007, 12:09 PM
I know it is difficult for some to get on McMaster's list. I have their catalog # 110, which is a few versions old. I think the latest is 112 or 113. Free to anyone is willing to go the postage. Send me a private message with the particulars.

Paul Alciatore
11-24-2007, 04:14 AM
It has been taken.

Alistair Hosie
11-24-2007, 12:04 PM
why should it be difficult to get on their list? Sorry don't understand that one!!! Alistair

BadDog
11-24-2007, 12:47 PM
They are notorious in this respect. I think the intent is to parley it into a sort of advertising by making "their catalog" into some sort of status item. Seems to sorta work, but there is little consistency and some guys get one after a few small buys, some multi-thousands and bigger in orders can't get a catalog. They are a bit of a strange company in this respect.

noah katz
11-24-2007, 02:30 PM
There web site search is so good that I wouldn't feel bad at all about not having a print version.

mochinist
11-24-2007, 03:15 PM
There web site search is so good that I wouldn't feel bad at all about not having a print version.Indeed, when I know what I am looking for I just use the website, but when I am not quite sure what I am looking for or don't know the name, the catalog is invaluable.

pntrbl
11-24-2007, 06:11 PM
My brother works at McMaster and I asked him about their catalog policy the last time it came up. He tells me in general they target and pursue customers that average between 10 and 50K a year which includes however many catalogs they want.

They are more than happy to take orders from us small fry but don't actively cultivate our business with catalogs or anything else.

As far as over 50K goes they will just about walk away. Raytheon approached them about doing some business recently and they said no. The cost of stocking for immediate delivery to really large customers is not something they will do. Costs too much.

They also target specific industries. It's a matter of figuring out what a particular industry needs to buy, stocking up, and then going after those companies.

It's an apparently successful business model cuz they've been around awhile.

SP

Paul Alciatore
11-24-2007, 06:26 PM
It has never made sense to me as I have never had trouble getting catalogs but have never been over $5K per year with them. I have worked mostly for TV stations and perhaps they are on their OK list. But I wouldn't know why.

Wirecutter
11-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Those catalogs make great bathroom readers, but I like to use
the website most of the time when I buy stuff. The catalog can't
tell you if the item is currently in stock.

-Mark