PDA

View Full Version : I had my eye on this one but it went for big bucks

Alistair Hosie
11-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Just shows you a different day a different price the last one was a deal and a half.Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140178947497&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

mlucek
11-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Just goes to show you the unpredictability of eBay auctions.

I just sold an old stereo equalizer for $31 on eBay 2 weeks ago. Over the last 2 weeks 4 other identical equalizers sold for between $55 - $76. So I "lost" out on an additional $20+ and the buyer got a great deal. Yeah, I was a bit pissed, but what can you do ? The same item may sell for much higher/lower at any given time. That's the marketplace for you. It's $31 - eBay/PayPal fee$ I wouldn't have otherwise and now a little more closet space :D

I have another item for sale with a, what I think, is a reasonable starting price. Lot of folks watching, but no sale. I paid quite a bit more for it 2 years ago. Do I expect to get what I paid for it on eBay ? I can only hope, but realistically, probably not.

Other stuff I see on eBay that I WILL have for sale, on the other hand, is selling for more than I would have thought. Guess I'd better get the stuff on eBay or craigslist quickly !!

Mike

Alistair Hosie
11-24-2007, 05:02 PM
How does craig list work is that another type of ebay ?Alistair

BadDog
11-24-2007, 05:05 PM
CL is just a free classified ad similar to what you see in a paper, but free and on-line...

Pete H
11-24-2007, 05:17 PM
All the action on eBay comes in the last minute. Typically, on say a 7-day auction, you'll see nothing at all for a couple of days; then someone drops a line in the water, and there may be a flurry. But then everyone will lie doggo again until the auction is just about to wind up, and at that point people sometimes get absolutely crazy.

A couple of months ago, I bid on an Emco-Maier rotab with only one dividing plate - I happen to have the other two. Hardly anything happened until the last minute and then it went well past U$ 400. I had bid $375. I should be thankful to the person who got it, since afterward, based on advice from this forum, I bought a Vertex for $175, and the plates for another $60.

BTW, there was a six-speed FB-2 Emco mill on eBay last week. Top bid was just over $1400, and did not meet the reserve. What IS it with people? I have a friend who paid $1500 for a Deckel !

Pete in NJ

mlucek
11-24-2007, 05:36 PM
CL is just a free classified ad similar to what you see in a paper, but free and on-line...
www.craigslist.org

Here in the States anyway, dunno if the site has made it to the other side of the pond yet ??

It's been a cultural phenomenon here since it started in the very early days of the bulletin board systems and evolved onto the internet when that happened. Very grass roots, no frills, extremely popular, anything goes.

Not only free classified ads, its' job posting sections have become VERY POPULAR with recruiters, employers, businesses, and especially folks looking for work. There's also personal ads (where anything goes - very little censorship), very active message/discussion forums. It started out advertising homes/apt/rentals (I think that's their main source, if not only source of income, there's no other advertising). Also very popular with musicians looking for other music folks, gigs, etc. Much more info here :

http://www.craigslist.org/about/

speedsport
11-24-2007, 07:23 PM
craigslist is great, I have picked up 2 free treadmills, both had broken belts but who cares, the motors and controllers work great, FREE!

mlucek
11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
craigslist is great
Just sold an item on craigslist yesterday. Simple local transaction - just like the old Recycler newspaper ads. Guy came over, verified item was what I said it was and that it worked, paid me in green colored paper with $20 printed on them :p and hit the road !

The Recycler classified ads newspaper (Los Angeles) has almost vanished. There's still a 4 sheet rag, now free. Down from what used to be 4-6 regional editions of 50+ pages @ $1.50 each 4+ years ago. Most classified ads have moved to the net (recycler.com) and especially craigslist.org. Of course eBay sucked up a big chunk of that biz too.