PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe I bought this...

torker
11-27-2007, 12:20 AM
OMG...it's BLUE! Never thought I'd ever buy a Miller welder. It looks funny in the "Sea of Red". Got a good deal on it so what the heck. Turned down a $700 job the other day cuz I didn't have a portable. I didn't want a portable...it is very cold working outside welding ice lugs on a machine. But $700 warms my blood I'm afraid. Paid $1400 for this 251(has 426 hours on it) with $600 worth of leads and a remote they didn't notice. Has a new battery and a well built skid with a roof. Now I can freeze my butt off...oh yay!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00004-3.jpg
Russ(I'm freezin already....my lathe is soooo warm)(I hate welding sometimes)

wierdscience
11-27-2007, 12:32 AM
Well at least you got some leads:D

If the voltage control is erratic or non-existant replace control board-$354,oops!Didn't mean to scare you:D

I like thier plasma cutters despite thier overpriced tips and cups and I like thier wirefeeders,but the enginedriven stuff I don't care for.Had a Miller Big 40,Duetz diesel driven unit,it broke down once a week on average,finally traded it on a Lincoln SA250 with a Perkins,nothing but oil and filters since.

torker
11-27-2007, 12:46 AM
You got a SA250? I'm jealous. I "had" a brand new Ranger 9($5000) a few years ago. My son took it up North to make his fortune. He drank himself broke then sold the welder for $2500...it had 12 hours on it. :(
BTW...any of them Lincoln pipeliners hold their value like crazy. even old ones bring in $2500 here.

wierdscience
11-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Na,not anymore,my laying under things fixing to fall in the mud days are over and I'm not as old as you are.Portable welding doesn't pay jack here local.Unions have all the bigger jobs locked up and the rat race work belongs to people who don't want to pay.

I got a buddy that used to run portable,his machine never leaves the yard,they either bring it to him or he hangs up on them.

I did also have a Lincoln SA400,straight DC machine no bells and whistles.340cid Hercules inline six gas engine.OMG:eek:would that machine run...out of gas every three hours:D It drank like a big block,but air arc was no problem.

The only Miller machine that I have desire for besides a decent sized MIG would be an older Goldstar with built in water cooled TIG.Those are nice.

The local welding supply has on thier floor a New SA400 with built in air and plasma.....sweet,gives me a boner looking at it:D

torker
11-27-2007, 01:29 AM
LOL! A "woodie" welder! There's an old 400 amp Lincoln here, powered by a flathead Ford. I'm trying to buy it for a dedicated air arc machine. Those are tough old machines for blowin steel.
This Miller doesn't seem to weld too bad. The arc isn't quite as stable as my Ranger was. I'm going to like that remote though. Nothing I hate more than climbing down two stories to adjust a welder for a different rod.
Portable welding is getting better here. So many guys have gone to Alberta that there is a weldor shortage. Job'll have to be pretty darn good to get me out of my nice warm shop right now.
BTW...You sure stay up late Darin...it's gotta be after 1 am where you are. You a night owl?

wierdscience
11-27-2007, 01:37 AM
Nah,it's only 12:30 here,Some nights I can't sleep,bones hurt and acid reflux don't help either-here's a shocker-I'm getting older:D

torker
11-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Acid reflux...I suffered from that for quite awhile. Quit eating late...no sweet stuff late...a shot of milk helds a couple hours before bed. That's nice when it really hits huh? The green stuff runnin out your nose...choking on the crap.
You're only an hour different from me huh?

macona
11-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Looks like you got a good deal. Needs to be pressure washed though! Trailblazers are nice machines. Hardly had any come in for repair and when it is it is usually something with the engine... like no oil... :rolleyes:

The little Trailblazer 300Ds are a sweet little diesel. 2 cyl kubota engine runs forever. The most I have done on the larger machines is change brushes when they wear out.

I know a guy that has a Big 40D and he has had to replace a few output diodes but then again he is running it full out air-arcing.

wierdscience
11-27-2007, 01:55 AM
Ya,I eat nothing after 5:00 as a rule,it's not that bad since I had that endoscope dialation,stopped the really bad symtoms instantly.Used to get pain all the way around the chest/back stayed that way for days.Only time I get reflux now is when I get stressed out.Got a tone of irons in the fire right now and I'm held up waiting for parts on all of them.

Alistair Hosie
11-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Here's hoping you get years of making mucho plenty bucks with it regardsAlistair