PDA

View Full Version : Cat Food Machine

Dr. Rob
05-12-2003, 04:04 AM
Listen, I know some of you guys have pets in the shop. I do too- Mogwai the Shop Cat. She lives there. That's great, no prob there. But when I go away for a day or two, feeding becomes a problem. If I stack up food in the bowl, it just goes bad and stinks, or gets raided by the neighbors cat. And, no matter how many times I explain or how many diagrams I draw, she just can't grasp The Can Opener Principle.

Always the same when I come home: PO'd cat, no work done.

So, I need to make some kind of cat food dispensing machine. Maybe timer-controlled, so she knows when to be home for dinner. Don't quite know how to do this though...Dry fodder is maybe okay. Can opener much more difficult. Should I check like farm & livestock suppliers? Anybody else think about this? Maybe some kind of scoop on a conveyor belt, to a twice-daily revolution motor? Maybe glue electrical connections to the hands on a clock, to control motor??

Anyone?

dvideo
05-12-2003, 04:31 AM
I saw a swiss clock gear mechaism idea for this. Is that what you have in mind?

gear reduction - synchronous stepper... etc....

I would think there would already be out there on specialty sites..... You can always machine one, or buy stock plastic one... I opt for plastic....

-- jerry

Doc Nickel
05-12-2003, 05:53 AM
My shop cats- '98 Mouser and Argentine Mouser- are self-feeding. If I don't fill the bowl, they gnaw through the side of the bag and eat the kibble off the floor.

Not usually a problem though- I'm in the shop seven days a week.

Doc.

G.A. Ewen
05-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Dr.Rob,
I don't know where you live but up here in northern Ontario, Canada, we have timers to start and stop the block heaters on our vehicals. The one that I have can be set to go on and off from half hour intervals and up. Maybe in combination with a stepper motor you could rig something up.

Another idea might be to have a pressure sensitive pad where the cat sits when he eats that would dispence one portion of food each time he stands at the feeder. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

Dr. Rob
05-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Some of these are great ideas. Thanks. I like the pressure-pad one. Seems almost simple enough for both me and the cat to figure out...neither of us are any good at electronics.

Paul Gauthier
05-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Sounds like Mogwai doesn't eat dry food. If he, she, it did you can get cat food containers that automaticly dispense food as the cat eats. There is also that one dispenses water. They hold enough to last about a week, and are quite cheap.

------------------
Paul G.

docsteve66
05-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Did a fish feeder controller for a professional fish operation. Owner wanted to have the food "slung" out for less than a minute every so many hours. Bought a timer with pegs for setting times. smallest increment was every 15 muniutes (or maybe thirty minutes). Solution was to use the timer to operate a self re-setting time delay relay. The time delay relay would come one for adjustable time from something like a second to 30 seconds.

So when the "master timer" was satisfied, the time delay was energized for fifteen minute or so, this fed power to the time delay relay which came on for the adjustable amount of time. The feed hopper was above a wheel that threw the fish food in a large circle. The circuit was very simple. Maybe two feet of wire to conect the timer and relay. If I were feeding cats, I think I would dispense with the slinger wheel. The fish could hear the relays and motor before the chow was on the lake. They came from all parts of the farm. These were catfish which are known to be like engineers, so Woman who owned the pond (a chemist) was very impressed with the intelligence of her cat fish.
Steve
PS: for those who know cat fish and no engineers- cat fish is all mouth and no brains (per the lady chemist)

Thrud
05-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Dr. Rob:
Female cats require hard and soft food to insure proper urinary tract operation, Our cats are fed at 6:00AM/PM (twice per day). tHis insures that they do not pig out all day long - my cat Tigger was abused and left alone without company or food & water for sometimes a week by the bitch that used to own her (ex-GF). It has taken 6 years and Tigger is almost a normally adjusted cat, but will still hoover the food dishes if given a chance till she barfs. We buy the best cat food available for adult wieght control and the dry food is dental care formula (my bud's cat has cost him $1500+ for dental work). They eat better than I do - and damn it, that soft food smells like good pate... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif

I vote you get a cat sitter - either have a friend stop by and feed the puddy cat or leave the furball with a friend while you are gone. Safer for your cat's health. I would not do any less for any member of my family.

Dr. Rob
05-12-2003, 04:21 PM
Oh yeah, totally, Thrud. That cat has been my friend and business advisor for many years. Nothing but the best for her. I do have a bud come by and give her TLC when I'm gone for longer periods. I stopped leaving her with friends, since it dawned on me that it wasn't really fair, just dumping her someplace foreign. She lives in the shop; has done so for years. Comes & goes as she pleases, and has more friends in the neighborhood than I do. It's just the one or two-day weekends that need a setup.

So I gave her the number to Dominos...

And soft cat food does NOT smell like pate. NOT, NOT, NOT at all. Oh yuck, man, just thinking about it- how can she eat that ****e?

Paul, that's gotta be the easiest. A gravity machine. Gravity hasn't failed yet.

This is becoming a fun thread.

Oso
05-12-2003, 05:41 PM
Dr Rob:

I will second the dry food and feeder thing. There are some timed dry food dispensers, less trouble to buy than build.

I have large cats at 16 and 21 lb. I am about ready to get a timed dispenser just to slim down the fat ones.

I sure hope your shop cat is a short hair. Bubba the shop beastie is a longhair, and he likes to be around me, which is also where the chips are. I keep a comb around............

gamachinist
05-12-2003, 05:51 PM
This is overly complex so procede at your own risk.I've got cat hair all over the place with even more dog hair.As for the auto feeder thing,what comes to my mind is something like a ice cube dispencer in the freezer.Food stays cool(you'd have to refrigerate it not freeze it),auger on a timer to dole it out by the pressure sensor or at a set time.This was the simpler of my ideas for canned food.The other one involved a cnc mill to open the cans and a robotic arm to fork it out onto a plate that would be removed to a sink full of water after kitty is done.At least it gave me something to daydream about whilst working on the more mundane stuff.Might be fun to watch the machine and cat interact too!Robert.

darryl
05-12-2003, 06:24 PM
I had a man come to me for an electronic means of feeding his cat. Set him up with a timer, beyond that I don't know how he made out. His plan was to rotate a cylinder at the bottom of a housing. The cylinder had an opening on two sides, and a barrier in the middle. As it rotated, one chanber would dump into the bowl, while the other came around to be refilled by gravity. Assuming it worked, an equal ammount of food would be dispensed each time the cylinder rotated 180 deg.
The touch pad idea gave me a chuckle. I built a door for the cat to get in and out of the house, and controlled the door with a motor, microswitches, and touch pads. I tried for weeks to get the cat to step on the touch pads. Damn thing would avoid touching the pads at all cost, and it became a pro wrestler when I tried to use it's own paw to touch the pads. The neighbor's cat would have to come over, touch the outside pad, and my cat could then get out. Of course, the neighbor's cat could get in also, so there went the food. Now I have no cat, but a neat little door that the mailman uses to throw small packages through.

gunsmith
05-12-2003, 07:33 PM
This is a cat story. Max the cat lived in our local rental shop for years. In all the years we would see him sitting on the counter or in the window. The owner Don even had a donation can for him marked, Max's retirement fund sitting on the counter. Myself and I'm sure others placed many a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter into that slotted can. One day after many years of doing this I asked were Max was. The answer was, "he died about 5 years ago". Don said I was the first to ever ask about Max. So you still keep the can on the counter anyway. Sure Don said "how else do you think I keep booze in my fridge". "Max never lived long enough to retire so he didn't need the money".

Techtchr
05-12-2003, 08:02 PM
We have lots of critters at my house/shop, but thank God no cats (sorry don't care for cats). 3 Dogs, 4 Ferrets, Guinea Pig, Fish, Turtle, Bearded dragon, and thousands of crickets to feed the bearded dragon. Thank God the Bird went to the aviary in the sky last year. Costs more to feed the lizzard than the three dogs. Feeding is a huge consideration when we decide to leave even for the day. I Feel your Pain!

With that said, there is a posting on the Parallax website www.parallax.com (http://www.parallax.com) for a doggie door controlled by a basic stamp. Has a circuit for a proximity sensor. Seems like this setup could be adapted for use with a timer and a home brewed motorized mechanism to dispense cat food. How bout a mechanism like what feeds pellets into a pellet stove furnace?

Matt

SJorgensen
05-12-2003, 08:26 PM
Gizmos are fine for lots of things but not for the care of a pet. Too much can go wrong and it usually does. Sometimes it results in the suffering or death of a pet. Be sure and have someone check on the critter once in awhile while you are gone or work a deal with a friend or neighbor. Even cats need the interaction (although they don't act like it.) I prefer dogs also. So I think it is fine to have an automatic feeder or better, to have a feed dispenser, but I also think you should have someone make sure that the thing hasn't clogged or jambed or the power hasn't failed or the circuit breaker tripped. So many things can go wrong that can't be undone.
Spence

ibewgypsie
05-12-2003, 10:09 PM
Yeah, I usually just leave the toilet seat up, and rip a full bag open, pour it on the floor and leave.. (not really)

We got a 18 pound cat named sage.

ibewgypsie
05-12-2003, 10:59 PM
I have a design drawed up, just send me a check for the $5800 in initial electronics purchases and we can get started right away.

I'll make it work if it takes every last dollar you got. (??) just kidding.

Ever notice you never see any cat skeltons up in trees? I got called about twenty times by the neighbors in Resaca to get thier poor cat down. I had been working 16 hour shifts, I went over with the 12 guage trap gun, shot the branch off the tree and the cat came down. Funny they never invited me to come over on sunday for dinner after that.

CCWKen
05-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Not many cat lovers around this farm. When they're not eating the chickens, birds and rabbits, they're making kittens. They're about one of the most useless animals ever created. Then again, they do keep the owls well fed. If the rattlesnakes, dogs and coyotes don't get 'em, my shotgun takes care of the rest.

Thrud
05-13-2003, 04:43 AM
Dr. Rob:
Quit buying cheap cat food man! The cat food we get from the vet smells wonderful. That being said, they prefer the odd can of light chunk Tuna I give them from time to time as a treat like Christmas, birthdays - you know... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Tigger has dropped to 14.5 lbs and has a beautiful silky coat - she is long haired Maine Coon.

CCWKen
Responsible people nueter their pets and children...ops! Did I say that out loud, again? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dr. Rob
05-13-2003, 05:01 AM
This is hilarious. A hundred rocket scientists, figuring out how to feed the cat. Funniest thing is, in today's mail there arrived a catalog from a place in Canada called Hedonics. Darned if they don't have one! "Automatic Pet Feeder, programmable for intervals of 6, 12 or 24 hrs. Keeps food fresh. $79." But man, that just ain't half as fun as a CNC robotic arm can opener.

LOL, Darryl. Are you the guy responsible for this thing I found at the Patent Office, called, Cat Doorbell? Usually, patent drawings are very precise, often ornate. This one shows a stickman type cartoon cat pushing a doorbell; looks like a five-year-old kid drew it!

But hmm, yeah- I do need a cat door too, come to think of it.

ibewgypsie
05-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Dr.. We put a small pet door in for the wheelchair ridden neighbor. Now the pugs, they stick thier head out, if it is raining they poop in the floor. If not, well then they go out.
We don't have the problem, our cat never has been outside. He has a box where we save his.

gamachinist
05-13-2003, 11:28 AM
Gypsie, I'm almost afraid to ask but what do you save it for???? You got a neighbor you don't like or just too busy to clean the box??Robert.

ibewgypsie
05-13-2003, 12:21 PM
gamachinist:
surely you are aware all us old bikers pack our hollow point bullets with the stuff.
we used to use mercury, but now it is too hard to get, so we use cat poop. makes the bullet load nice and lubricated too. You don't want but one person telling the story after you shoot them. ha ha.. yeah.. that is it.

Thrud,, yep.. saw that right off, them coons are good eating, You need to put them into a cage and fatten them up thou. You know I used to think they were clean, always washing thier food, then I was told they don't make saliva. Just another furry armadillo to me now.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 05-13-2003).]

Weston Bye
05-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Dispensing the soft cat food seems problematic. Try packing a cylinder full and stroke the cylinder with a motor and leadscrew or whatever by measured amounts to extrude a daily ration. Maybe add a pinch-off valve on the nozzle to keep suff fresh between deliveries.

'Course the food coming out of the feeder might look similar to when it comes out of the cat. But smell better.

Wes

Techtchr
05-13-2003, 07:40 PM
For what its worth let me quote "the cat food we get from the vet smells wonderful" Thrud you must not be lie'n when you say your sister's meatloaf is bad if you think cat food smells good.

I don't think the wet cat food dispenser would be too hard to make. I was just in our art teachers room, and he has a machine to recycle clay from projects kids make. Looks like a heavy duty sausge machine. Clay goes in top and is mixed up by a motor on a gear reduction unit, and extruded into what looks like a 2" diameter brown turd. I can visualize cat food and a timer hooked onto a similar machine. Could probably send cats thru the machine too then it would really be a cat food machine.
Matt

davestea
05-13-2003, 07:54 PM
Check out this link -- its the pet page on a popular home automation store site -

http://www.smarthome.com/petcare.html

then click on automatic feeding - you will see many food and watering devices.

One feeder has a lid with pie shaped opening - 5 segments rotate into opening - timer controlled - $70. Takes wet or dry - even has ice packs to keep fresh.

Another uses an auger to deliver dry food into a dish - 3 sizes - super deal on large size $119.

no affiliation - just purchase home automation equipment from them - they have a great catalog for the gadget freek among us.

darryl
05-14-2003, 01:10 AM
I never did make a cat feeder, but in moving I have built 3 different cat doors. One was just a swinging piece of plywood, spring loaded to return to neutral. Next one was more deluxe, insulated and sealed better when closed. It gets cold here sometimes. Almost as cold as a witches tit frozen to a railing on a fishing boat off the coast of Labrador in January. The last door was lexan, thermopane, and was raised and lowered by a winch mechanism, controlled by those touch pads. It moved slowly enough that it wouldn't damage the cat by crashing shut, and it's tail had nowhere to get caught either. Built it into a section between two studs, next to the regular door. This was the least drafty of the three models. But the cat wasn't smart enough to learn how to use it, gaaak!

Dave Opincarne
05-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Try making the new version look like the old one for a while or substitute the second version for the new one until the cat gets used to it.

darryl
05-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Good thought, Dave. Alas, the cat has passed on, it was poisoned by a neighbor, as were some other pets. No one could prove it, though. I've since had a dog, which tried to make it's own door. A door within a door, so to speak. The dog has a new home now, a more appropriate one than I could give it.

Thrud
05-14-2003, 01:54 AM
darryl:
I know a guy that has an electronic cat door. The cat "Ceasar Agustus Tiberius (CAT for short) was an electronic collar that unlocks his cat door and allows the cat to come and go without "intruders" in the inner Sanctum. Really pisses the dogs and other cats that chase after and try to kill him when the door locks after the cat passes through and they slam into the locked door...

Dave
Maine Coon, NOT Racoon.

Matt
I am not kidding, it really does smell good - and it should for $1.50/100g can. I can buy tuna for less at Costco (the Albacore chunk).

And no, I never found my sisters meatloaf even as appealing as cat turds - I am sure THEY at least taste like...cat. I call them doggie treats 'cuz I have seen way too many dogs munching on them...the cat turds, not my sisters meatloaf. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Dr. Rob
05-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Thrud, you and I really must discuss the quality of the pate you've been buying. Or does your sister make it?

Dr. Rob
05-14-2003, 02:52 AM
...and Wes1, I like the general idea. It could be fitted with a die attachment at the outlet, to produce profiles of different shapes, like a pasta machine. Spaghetti, penne, star shape...Which is a trick not even the cat can do!

jfsmith
05-14-2003, 10:33 AM
Okay, lets see, Sam was born on the 4th of July in a Veterans Center in Marion Ohio. They wanted to call him Taffy, but he is an great American cat, so I named him after Uncle Sam. He is a little suckup.

Tigrr, walked in to my place in Valleyfield one day, he had a bird in his mouth. He later coughed up some feathers. Tigrr will let you pet him, when it suits him. He lives in my work building and is my mouser. If you give him raw fish he will eat it, if you give canned cat food, he barfs it up.

Sam only eats store brand dry cat food, while Tigrr finds his own food. Both have their shots and get a check up once a year.

When I travel, Sam goes with me, and Tigrr stays home to guard the place.

If you can get your cat to hunt, fish and such things, you won't have to feed him when you are gone.

Jerry

Dr. Rob
05-14-2003, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I gave her a gun, but doesn't dig .410 apparently. Have a lot of decent reels too, but she can't cast worth sh**.

Guero
05-14-2003, 06:27 PM
You know, this is what I love about this forum - there's always something interesting going on which encompasses any and every subject which might in some way have a connection with machinists and/or machine work. We have two cats, a Primary and an Emergency Back-up Cat. Primary weighs 22 lbs, is solid black and has been with us now for almost 15 years; she gets cranky in the evening but loves attention in the morning. Emergency Back-up was abused as a kitten (we found her yowling under a car); we've had her now for 4 years. Both cats were spayed at early ages and get their physicals once a year. Of the 2 cats only Primary will visit me in my shop (and then only in the morning); Emergency will only poke her head around the corner to see what Primary is doing in the shop. Primary was banned for a while from my shop when a friend asked me if I had been using her to wipe down the lathe bed.... I hadn't noticed all the cat hairs which had accumulated from her last jump onto the bench. Of the 2 cats, only Emergency enjoys a daily brushing or two; Primary won't tolerate it. I dread the day Primary passes on - my wife and two daughters will grieve more than if it had been me.

Dave Opincarne
05-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Thrud, our 'primary' cat (Lady Jane Grey) did one better. She'd get the neighbors little rat dog to chase her and then lead her back to were Skye (my first born, a north american shepard) would be waiting for it.

Our emergency backup (Niko) was the tool whore and shop cat of the outfit. Used to jump in my toolbox and make a bed every chance she got. Purred like she was resting on a warm pillow by the fire. Had to inspect everything I worked on. I really belonged to her, used to wake up with a face wet from cat drool from her cuddling up under my beard when I slept. Should have seen the look on the dogs face when we brought her home as a kitten and she latched on to Skye's nipple. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif Not to bright though, burned half her whiskers of trying to smell a candle. Burned the other half of two minutes later, guess how.

Animals in the shop are great if you can keep them safe.

Dave

"A hundred rocket scientists, figuring out how to feed the cat" ROFL

Edit: Cat sh*t was refered to in our house as kitty roca (ever look at almond roca?) and was one of Skye's favorite treats. Cats have a very ineficient digestive system so they're pooping about 50% undigested food.

[This message has been edited by Dave Opincarne (edited 05-14-2003).]

docsteve66
05-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Training a cat: We had a neutered tom, 12 years old. When we traveld (months at a time) nick stayed home and neighbors tended him. Finaly decided to take him in RV. Cat was miserable a few hours then found a hole.

I bought a spring loaded leash and wifemade a harness. Took only a short time and I was guiding cat around rest areas. He trained with ease. Trick was when he moved in direction I wanted to go i released the "brake". Head wrong direction and brake came on. We waited till he got bored and moved in different direction. Soon a tap on the brake would make him change directions. Vet commented that he figured it was a case of out stubborning a cat, which is hard to do. Never yelled at cat, never jerked, got lots of comments. Nick is catching rats in the great cat land.

BTW: I do not like cats, nothing nice to say about them, excepting those the wife and daughters bring home. Those have been nice people. Hatem as a species, love em as indivduals.
Steve

SJorgensen
05-15-2003, 12:39 AM
Well said Doc,
I don't think a cat will ever save anyone from a burning building unless it is to wake you up, to let it out of the burning building.
Uncaring, but not stupid.
Spence

Thrud
05-16-2003, 05:20 AM
Spence

I have to disagree - both our cats will try to wake me up if I pass out. Infact they seem to know when I am sick before I do. And they have their own system to get us up in time to feed them - my cat comes down and suck up to me and my buddy's cat stays upstairs - usually sitting on his face until he wakes up! Tigger is far more patient, but tries to get into the cat food cupboard. You should see how pissed they are when I put a can opener and a can of catfod on the floor and tell them "if you can open the cans you can eat anytime you like". http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

SJorgensen
05-19-2003, 01:48 AM
Hi Thrud,
I think the choice of a pet is often dictated by our lifestyles. I think that dogs require a lot more investment in time, effort and attention than cats do. I've spent so many of the last years traveling that I couldn't really have a pet. I've trained lots of dogs, and horses. My Uncle used to tease me that I couldn't get my horse to "sit" so I showed him that I could. When I needed to clean a hoof I'd say "foot" and my horse would lift and put his hoof on my bended knee. It is so cool that such a big, fast and powerful animal can also be so gentle. It is kind of like a dog that learns "shake" but it weighs 1100lbs. I love the tractability of dogs. In malleability dogs are to cats, as gold is to aluminum. Horses are like tin or something. I've also trained rapters and I was a falconer a few years ago. I've had sparrow hawks (which are really falcons) and red tailed hawks. I used to chase cats with that hawk around my neighborhood and I hunted and killed rabbits with her. In malleability a hawk is like cast iron. You can't change it's nature but you can get it to do what you want with magnets. Still a hawk is at least as expressive as a cat. A hawk will "coo" and a hawk will "preen" through your hair, if she likes you. And a hawk will fluff up and shake out when she is contented. If a hawk doesn't like you it will strike you in the face in a flash of 1/10th of a second with 1 1/2" razor sharp talons. I have a 3/4" scar on my upper lip and a tiny one by my left eye from my little wild freinds. That's one thing that cats have in common, they can turn on you. Choice of pets is very personal but it is also like working with metal. You have to explore the properties of each to know what the properties are. I am allergic to cats so I can't say that I have very much experience with them. If I was going to invest that much effort into a cat it would have to be at least an ocelot or maybe a panther.
Spence

ibewgypsie
05-19-2003, 12:26 PM
My martial arts past at work: maybe fancy but I believe animals can see the aura around us. Dogs -horses-cats know when a person is scared, know when someone is sick and have emotions about it. Cats are self centered for sure, but ours hugs up to me when I feel bad.

I think cats suck up to people and bathe in thier chi.. It is proven that stroking a cat or dog makes a person healthier and live longer. Stimulating the aura with a happy giving mentality. Holistic medicene at work.

Want proof of your aura at work? focus on a small bird singing in the trees, as you look at him, it becomes nervous untill it hushes and flies off.

Okay enough before I scare all of you, I am going outside to stand on one foot and do my tau chi.. (ain't that a sight to behold)

Post a picture of the auto-feeder when you buy one please.

Dave Opincarne
05-19-2003, 10:20 PM
ib- agree with you about the extended life expectancy. A lot of good is done with therapy dogs. I'd have liked to get Skye involved but she's too much of a wiggle butt. Most hospitals, hospices, and extended care facilities have a therapy program to bring specialy selected and trained animals to those who can benifit from their influence.

I have to disagree with you about the small bird thing though. The effect is well documented, most wild animals will do the same thing, but not for the reasons you suggest. Stopping and watching is a type of behavior found in predators while stalking. Cross country skiers are warned not to do this for the benifit of the wildlife. A heard of deer will ignore you if you just ski past or stop and move, but if you stop and get still they will become nervous and bolt. This drains precious energy reserves and is the reason for the afore mentioned warning.

-Dave

ibewgypsie
05-20-2003, 07:15 AM
Yeah dave, when you have a rifle, them deer read your feelings and run like heck. I have had to shoo them out of the trail on 4 wheelers.. like goats.. come back with a rifle tho.. white tails low to the ground and getting fast. I used to crawl the thickets with a 44 pistol when I hunted. Too dangerous now. Somebody would leave you after they shot you by accident.

OUR cat.. he lays on my side of the bed, he has adopted me over his true owner. Carrol my girlfriend is not amused. Animals never really belong to anyone, thou they are ruled a possesion, they pick the people they want to show attention.

Dave Opincarne
05-22-2003, 11:50 PM
I agree. It's funny how Skye's personality changed when my ex and I seperated. She became a lot more protective of me. She started acting more like a spouse than a child/pet.

-Dave

SJorgensen
05-23-2003, 02:49 AM
I can't talk about Chi and maybe because I haven't discovered it yet or don't know what it is. I haven't hunted in many years but I think hunting has been the only activity that really brought me into nature. Only on the rarest occasion did I kill. I used to bow hunt with my Red Tailed Hawk on my shoulder. That bird could spot any animal in 300 yards. After she saw something I'd toss her off and start stalking. I would always miss my first shot and then I had to stalk it down and only once did I get my deer bowhunting. I am not morally opposed to it. It can be a necessary skill. Not good Chi but good eatin. The rifle hunt used to be a great gathering of the men in my family. There is lots of history and folklore. My favorite story about my Grandfather is a statement of "I've heard lots of people claim to shoot two deer in one shot, but Stanley Jorgensen was the only person who I know of who said he would do it and then he did it."
Spence

Crazy Ed
05-26-2003, 01:01 AM
Animals CHOOSE who they want as friends/masters/whatever. I had a gf's son a few years ago really get mad because his cat took a liking to me. I tried gently to push her away because of his jealousy and it did NOT work!! He became more and more a trouble, so rather that wind up either shot...yes, he bought a gun and made it plain it was 'for self defense', I left the relationship.

Oh, this house had 3 cats, Zelda, the son's 15 y/o female and two new half brother/sister. The tom decided that he didn't like me and took to 'marking' me while I slept. One time, everyone except myself was gone and I awoke just as he let loose. Grabbed his ass and took him into the shower and did like wise right in his face!! Last time for he did tried that!! I had a full charge and his face got it all..including some that apparently got into his lungs by the coughing that I heard for about 1/2 hour.

This dang cat we now have, seems to wait for me at the door and my current gf isn't jealous of her (and NO kids). She tries to be miss hissy once in awhile, but if she is catchable, I just get her and hold/stroke her gently and talk softly to her till she gets somewhat over it. Seems to work.

At least this one doesn't hold grudges like so many do.

Dave Opincarne
05-26-2003, 01:11 AM
Funny how cats seem to be on our wave leangth reguarding the fecal/urinary thing. I've seen a few dogs piss on people to show displeasure, but mostly it's a cat thing. The cat we had during our mariage went to my ex-inlaws before we seperated. Heard she took a dump on my ex-father-in-laws pillow while he was sleeping. Should have sent here a can of tuna for that one. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif Another cat they had a while ago came right up next to his head while he was working under his van and took a dump. Something about him must bring it out.

-Dave

SJorgensen
05-26-2003, 01:15 AM
You marked him good. Did the GF notice the new "cat smell"? I'll bet the other cats stayed clear of him too. I don't know much about cat behavior so I don't know if the cat-marking is because it liked you or not. If your method of correcting the behavior worked it must have been because it was immediate. I have seen so many animals get punished where there is no chance that the animal could relate the cause and effect. Other than that there should be a rule that if the animal pisses on you, you get to piss on them. That might work for cats and probably dogs but not for birds. They just think they are getting a golden birdbath!
(Just Kiddin.)