PDA

View Full Version : Price Check Aisle 3 Please

dalee100
12-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi,

Maybe have a line on a Logan 920 lathe. Looking for a ballpark price so I don't look too stupid.

I don't have a clue as to tooling or extra chucks yet. Wasn't able to contact the seller yet. I would assume at least a 3 jaw. Condition is of course everything.

Thanks!!
dalee

Joel
12-04-2007, 01:08 AM
A location would be helpful. There can be a tremendous variability from one part of the country to another.

dalee100
12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi,

Aww Jeez, you are right Joel. The lathe is in Minnesota. I don't really know much about these smaller bench style lathes for value.

Thanks,
dalee

Al Messer
12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Well, my wife gave $1000.00 for my Logan-made Montgomery Ward standard change lathe back in 1993. It was in good condition and came with EVERYTHING except a follower rest. So check out what accessories comes with it as that will add to its value.

dalee100
12-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi,

Thanks Al. I was thinking $1000 would be ballpark. Sheldons regularly push $1500 to $1800 depending on tooling.

dalee

wierdscience
12-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I sold one about 10 years ago in good shape with all tooling except the milling attachment for $800.

rantbot
12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
It's a big ballpark.

Over the last few years I've seen Logans in the 10-11 inch range sell for anything from $150 to $2200. That's for machines in overall G-VG condition (supposedly no missing or broken parts, no heavy wear, but usually crummy paint) with chucks, toolholders, steady rests, faceplates, collet setups, the usual stuff.

The 920 has the larger (1.37") spindle bore (good) and the QC gearbox (good) but flat drive belts (not so good).

dalee100
12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Hi,

I still haven't gotten through to the guy. But I've had meetings last night and tonight. So only short time to try. One thing is for sure here in Minnesota, it will be over priced, worn out, and generally abused.:(

The last Sheldon 10" I looked at had a cracked bed. All for $1200. Last BP the guy was literally using it for a welding bench....... A mere $3000, hey it IS a Bridgeport you know.:rolleyes:

Wish me Luck!

dalee

Carld
12-04-2007, 11:13 PM
The only thing I can add is if it needs a lot of work or it is badly worn or needs parts buy it cheap if at all.

Keep shoping for a good one. They are out there. Don't get in a hurry to buy.

It seems I remember someone saying there is a web site for Logan lathes.

rantbot
12-05-2007, 04:37 AM
The last Sheldon 10" I looked at had a cracked bed.
I wonder how something like that happens. The imagination quails. It doesn't sound like the typical "fell off the fork lift" problem.

J Tiers
12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
As a point of reference, I bought my Logan 10" about 8 years ago for $600.

Came with 2 chucks, faceplate, good toolpost (4 way) misc centers and etc, and some tooling. Lathe and a couple buckets of stuff. Change gear machine.

11" go for around $900 to $1100 depending.

Also as a point of reference, anything South bend, no matter how bare or how bad, goes for $1000 and up, or at least that has been the asking price. No idea if they sold at that price.

Atlas OTOH varies from overpriced to significantly under-priced. So it varies.

Logan tends to be unknown, but also better than similar swing S-B and surely better than similar Atlas, at least as far as rigidity etc.

Worth more, costs less, what's not to like?

Al Messer
12-05-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi, Rantbot. Personally, I am glad that my lathe does have flat belt drive as it has saved me from many a smash-up when the belt slipped.

retusaf99
12-05-2007, 08:34 PM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/retusaf99/Logan3.jpg

Let me see if this works. More pics to follow if it does.

I bought a Logan 11" off Craigslist last year for $1200. Vancouver, WA, near Portland, OR. Bought from an amateur gunsmith who bought it from another gunsmith.

Closest I've come to getting a divorce is when I pulled the U-Haul trailer up into the driveway with this baby on board. (Honey, we really need this...)

Understand, I'm not a machinist, but always wanted a lathe. (I was a pilot in the USAF for 20 years). I like doing things with my hands. Took a years worth of welding classes at the local CC and had a blast. Woodworker before that.

Anyhow, the lathe was pretty to my eyes. Buck 6" 3 jaw and 8" 4 jaw. Palmgren milling attachment. Few other doo-dads I haven't figured out.

Leter rip guys....

Doug

rantbot
12-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Nice color, too.

retusaf99
12-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Hehe, matches the wife's eyes.

Good enough for me :)

Doug

Al Messer
12-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Doug, use you new toy to make HER some simple little things that she will like. For example, a little hammer for crushing ice cubes, a pair of nice Brass candle sticks, etc. This will enable her to see that your toy was a very sensible investment, and that NOW, you need a Milling Machine to go with it. LOL!!

PeteM
12-06-2007, 01:52 PM
My 10" Logan cost under $450 at a University surplus auction. What I learned was to spend more and get something that's fully tooled.

The good news was that the ways, spindle, and the quick change gears were in very good condition. It had been lightly used in the Mt. Hamilton observatory -- presumably for telescope etc. repairs. The bad news is that it took another $2000 to replace a couple parts and then fully tool it up. So, factor that in your price. You'll eventually want center and steady rests, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, collets, an Aloris etc. tool post, dozens of holders, maybe a taper attachment and more. In my case, I also added a better carriage with t-slots and and a clutch, an extra tailstock with a lever arm for drilling, several face plates, and the like.

As for the flat belts, they are a frustration if you're trying to remove any significant amount of metal. I like the little Logan a lot for small stuff, but added a 13" Harrison lathe just to be a bit more productive. That time around I waited for something that was both in good condition and fully tooled.