PDA

View Full Version : My Xmas Tree (Toolholder)

macona
12-06-2007, 02:07 AM
Finished my toolholder for my goodies for the lathe and mill. The base holds all the chucks and faceplates, Two shelves for 5C collets. Another shelf for 5C and MT2 stuff, A small shelf for small tools, chuck keys, etc, and finally a rack to hold my KDK toolholders for the lathe. Everything sits on a post of 1-1/4" conduit. The shelves were made on the CNC mill out of 1/2" acrylic. Barely had enough Y as the discs are 13.5" in dia. The shelves are separated by 1-1/4" sch 20 PVC pipe that was a perfect slop fit over the conduit. The holders for the KDK were made from 1/2" stainless tubing with hangers made from 1/8" dia stainless rod bent and tig welded to the tubing. Tubing was threaded and bolted to the acrylic end pieces.

Heres a pic of the finished product and a couple vids of the CNC.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h228/macona/DSC03247.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqbp10ppbgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEk7WvVd6JY

Your Old Dog
12-06-2007, 05:51 AM
So you're solving the space problem by going vertical, pretty innovative. Are you going to guy-wire it?

BadDog
12-06-2007, 06:12 AM
I like it! I've been thinking similar thoughts...

torker
12-06-2007, 09:03 AM
macona...Holy Crap...you're a packrat....ummm just like the guy behind me :D

Hal
12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Macona

Great Xmas Tree. I like the way you decorated it. It looks like you have better presents on your tree than what will be under mine this year. :)

It was interesting seeing the CNC work its magic.

Hal

BobWarfield
12-06-2007, 11:41 AM
That is just so cool!

My second reaction was to think that it must be extremely heavy. That got me thinking. I've always wanted to put a little jib crane between my lathe and mill. The sit at right angles to each other and the crane would make it easy to move heavy tooling and workpieces or to aid in disassembling the machines when I'm modifying them.

The jib crane would be freestanding, and bolted into the concrete. Now I'm thinking that the column could be an extremely useful support for lots of tooling goodies. There's never enough organization in a shop and this would be a great way to utilize my space even more efficiently.

Cheers,

BW

macona
12-06-2007, 02:22 PM
I just got tired of having no place to put stuff like keys. This stands right behing me so I can just reach back and grab what I need. And the collets were getting to be a nusicance to keep sorted. Still havnt gotten them sorted as I am waiting for another batch of 20 to show up from Reliable Tool off Ebay. So far I almost have a complete set by 64ths round plus 1/4 to 1" in hex. Still missing a few.

Yeah, it heavy, really, really heavy. But the base is cast iron itself about 30-40 lbs, plus two 8" chucks, 11" face plate, 5 c collet nose, steady and follow rests, drive plate and dogs. So most of the weight is at the bottom. The racks with the collets dont weigh a whole lot, maybe 20 to 30 full and the tool holder probably come in at another 60 or 70 lbs.

The conduit is flexing more than I like, Not nearly enough to cause problems though. I didnt have a tight of a fit as I would have like on the spud that the tubing slips over in the base. I may fill it with something like cement or resin.

BadDog
12-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Maybe swap it out for some shd 40?

Alistair Hosie
12-06-2007, 04:23 PM
looks very nice ,but perhaps if I have one question, isn't it very expensive for the plastic when sheet metal punched out then sprayed would have been just as nice?Alistair and you LIKE ME are a pack rat welcome to the club:DAlistair

Mcgyver
12-06-2007, 04:50 PM
macona, that is great, shop on a stick!

macona
12-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Plastic would have been expensive if I actually paid for it. A friend of mine was working over at Nike down the street and they were throwing a big sheet of 1/2" acrylic away. She gave me a chunk of it. So nothing in to it...

Whats really nice is the acrylic lets light though to the next layer and creates less shadow. Also it just looks cool! If I wasnt so lazy I would flame polish the edges...