PDA

View Full Version : OT...Too Many Psycos

IOWOLF
12-06-2007, 06:31 AM
The Kid In Omaha that killed 8 and Himself in a mall,is all that is on the local news,I feel sorry for those He Killed, the Injured and there families .

He wrote a Note "I'll go out in style", and a will.
Oh Gee I got fired from MacDonald's, my life is over,I think I'll be a real jerk and make others suffer.:rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant, but he could have done it in his car all alone,and not be a jerk about it.:mad:

Your Old Dog
12-06-2007, 06:47 AM
He told the lady he was rooming with he got a rifle to go target shooting. She says he had been a basket case lately. I wonder what, if anything, she did to intervene? The profile for suicide is pretty pronounced and well known. I can't understand how it could be ignored once you see the steps start to materialize in a person.

For anyone on the board who doesn't already know. If one of your loved ones or friends starts to loose interest in things they once liked, become sloppy in appearance, start joking about suicide and start giving away worldly possessions then you might spend some time listening to them. Don't talk but listen. Above all, don't tell them the world is rosy and they have nothing to be concerned about. At this stage of the game it only heightens the problem. You might tell them that certain health issues they may not know about could be a cause for these problems liked untreated hypo-thyroid. They likely need more help then you can provide but you could help them in getting the help. They need to know someone really does care.

I guess most of you know the holidays are the worst time for depressed people.

edited to ad: Here's a super quick read listing some signs of loved one in trouble.

http://www.sfsuicide.org/html/warning.html

hitnmiss
12-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Good post YOD,

Maybe she was young? I know of several events my friends went thru when I was younger (especially younger than them) and I didn't intervene because of the age thing. Although now that I'm old(er) I tend to notice and try to act. It usually isn't easy and you always risk loosing a friend.

interiorpainter
12-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Steven Fry made a very informative program about manic depression. It was aired on BBC a couple of times.
Difficult to live with. But why do people feel the need to take someone with them. Out of spit?
It hapens once in a while over here with illegal weapons. The puplic is very susceptible to this detail.
Then thinking selfishly "OMG they are going to take our toys away like in Great Brittan".

andy_b
12-06-2007, 12:46 PM
i saw that last night. i feel bad for the victims, as well as any kids that may have witnessed it and now have to think about it during the holidays. not the best Christmas memories to have.

i do partially fault the media though, they are the ones who play all of these massacres up, and someone gets an idea to commit suicide and then thinks, "wow, if i kill a bunch of people on the way out i'll be a TV star".

andy b.

BillH
12-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Too bad the son of a bitch killed others, at least he shot himself and saved taxpayers some money.

bigbill04
12-06-2007, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Your Old Dog]He told the lady he was rooming with he got a rifle to go target shooting. She says he had been a basket case lately. I wonder what, if anything, she did to intervene? The profile for suicide is pretty pronounced and well known. I can't understand how it could be ignored once you see the steps start to materialize in a person.

Hi Guys. I also wonder if anyone notified any health professionals about this kid's apparent death wish. Many of you may have heard about the mall shooting in Kingston, New York maybe about 4-5 years ago? The shooter walked into our main mall carrying a semi-auto ak variant and went into Best Buy and just randomly shot 60 rounds at the floor and celing. According to witnesses he did not aim the rifle at any one. Unfortunately a few bullets ricocheted off the marble floor and hit two people. One seriously enough that he was paralyzed. This young man (20 years old) turned out to be a neighbor of mine, living about 300 feet from my backyard. The man was a heavy guy and appeared to have very few friends. His mother had abandoned him at childbirth and the father was raising him the best he knew how. I did learn after the shooting that there were many signs of a troubled, and dangerous man from the neighbors that lived next to him. I had seen police cars there on many occasions and the man was spotted mostly at night firing off AK rounds into the air. Most of the neighbors did not alert the police for fear of trouble with his father and with the man himself. And even if the police were notified, they had not done anything in the past visits to expect them to do anything to help the man. So I find it easy to believe that many people know how dangerous and unstable people like this are, but never seem to get involved to try and stop them until the evil deed is done. Then everyone comes out of the woodwork and tells their stories about seeing signs of impending doom, yet doing nothing to stop it. BTW, this neighbor of mine was found to be in possession of many books and videos of the Columbine shootings. His first plan was to go down to the middle school and shoot that up, but it was a Sunday and school was closed. That's when he decided to try the mall. A sad footnote was when he pulled into the parking lot and removed the rifle from his car. A woman was entering her car at the same time while he took several shots into the air. The woman thought it was a capgun and never reported it to any one, even though he was dressed in camo with a long black trenchcoat. I think people are in disbelief when things like this happen and do not consider the worst scenario. Another problem is that our small town is mostly older people that like to gossip but when it comes to being a witness, they just hide in their houses and sneek peek out the windows. They just do not want to get involved and risk retaliation from the teenagers around here. These random shootings have really scared the heck out of my wife. She has a concealed carry pistol permit and wants to get a small, light-weight pistol that she can carry on her body all the time. The large Browning Hi-Power she now has is too heavy and big for her and she rarely carries it. I am sure if she was in the mall she would have shot this guy to protect my young boy. Now with this latest shooting, we can expect a huge backlash and a call to ban all the semi-auto lookalike black rifles. Banning them will do nothing to stop these senseless acts of violence. The shooter can choose another weapon, maybe a pistol or a shotgun. The liberal media is already jumping on the liberal bandwagon and keep saying the word, "assault rifle." The presidential candidates will be using this as a major part of their platforms. There is a lot of blame to go around regarding these incidents. It is a big problem, but just placing the blame on the rifle is not going to stop this from happening again and again. I am sorry to be so cynical, but I have seen it getting worse and worse since I got involved with this issue back during the vote for the 1968 Gun Control Act which I feel was passed without much thought on the issues during those times. Let us all say a prayer for the victims and a prayer that it will not happen again. I wish all of you a safe and healthy Merry Christmas. Sincerely yours, Bill Senko

Dawai
12-06-2007, 03:00 PM
<quote> Then thinking selfishly "OMG they are going to take our toys away like in Great Brittan". <end quote>

OKAY, first off, a gun is not a toy, but a tool. A tool is only as good as the user. If you think they are a toy, you need to rethink.

Living in a high crime district, I keep a pistol in my back pocket. When you see people stumbling walking down the road, a police car swerve around them and keep going? you are on your own. (yeah, I made a nasty phone call)

Only a few years ago the sheriff was importing all the good drugs. (JACK DAVIS, WHITFIELD COUNTY GA. look it up) They are not real proud of it thou at the sheriffs office.

We don't need more gun control, we need more "crazy people" control. You can get killed with a axe, a butcher knife, a sharp screwdriver, a claw hammer, brick and many other items used by the local street gangs.
Welcome to America.

Someday, we'll have to change the goverment back to the true roots and intentions of the forefathers by force. If you read the true concepts, it states a armed citizenry protects itself from government corruption.

Perhaps we can all machine up some muskets for that special day?

interiorpainter
12-06-2007, 05:51 PM
I am sorry to have formulated a bit careless.
To become a legal gunowner over here you have to be a member of a shooting club for at least a year.
Then it is possible to buy a firearm after being screened by the justice system.
Buying a firearm doing some paperwork and waiting for a few more weeks.
Only one weapon! With a maximum of 5 weapons after another year.
When you act dangerous you are out looking for another club but news travels fast.
These "toys" are just for sport. Even the type of targeds is regulated. No animals or hostage targeds. Guns and ammo stored seperate and locked away even for your wife. I can go on and on but pretty straight forward.
It is pretty safe living exept for all those youngster stabbing each other with screwdrivers.

Sad ending. Our neighbouring country Germany withnessed a mother killing her 5 young boy only yesterday. Drugging her children before smothering them.
AFAIK it is a state of mind and has little to do with the ways to execute.
I suppose in midevil times these people served a purpose at war.

IOWOLF
12-06-2007, 07:17 PM
The Lady is a Nurse, so I would think she would have seen the warning signs if any were presented,I don't blame her.
I and many others locally Blame the media also with the exception of one lady on the local news who said "he was not famous for doing this, as he said he would be in the note, but Infamous,and that isn't a good thing"

And I don't want My rights Infringed upon any more than they have been either.

Pete H
12-06-2007, 07:45 PM
I am terribly saddened by the failure of so many people to see the indications that that unfortunate young man was coming apart, or to act on them. Equally saddened that he didn't seek help himself. But depression is a self-reinforcing thing, and it's not likely that someone so seriously depressed will believe that anything can be done to help - that's where friends and family can intervene.

From this point forward, it's an anti-gun-control-rant. Skip it if you like.

In New York - the Vampire State, land of taxes - the firearms laws vary all over the place, often are not consistent with Federal law, and local laws often are not even consistent with the state law.

In Westchester County, where I grew up, even in the 60's when I got my pistol permit, it took at least three months, often as much as six. The local copskies wouldn't even give you the application forms unless you presented a letter from a gun-club stating that you'd been given safety instruction. (There was, btw, no standard for safety training at that time; neither state nor federal.)

Then you had to provide three character references, who preferably were already permit-holders. Then your photo and fingerprints were sent to the FBI, the State Mental Health Board, and the State Police, and detailed questionnaires went to your references. If they all came back clean, the paperwork went from the local cops to a county judge, and might sit on his/her desk for three months or more.

It's only gotten worse: I served as character reference for someone about five years ago, and it took nearly NINE months for his paper to come through.

The net result is that the average Joe/Jane is not going to bother with this, and will not have a handgun. That will not stop the mutt who just wants to make an emergency withdrawal at the local convenience store, but it WILL ensure that there is no responsible armed citizen around to take him out, or to stop the likes of that poor kid who shot up the mall. Or the one before him, or the one who no doubt will "copycat" him some time in the future.

Long guns are much more readily available in most parts of New York. Not in NYC or Buffalo, where you have to go through almost as much hassle as for a handgun; and pretty soon, Westchester and Rockland (the counties nearest the City to the north) likely will be the same. But in most of the state, you can just go in to the local gunshop or hardware store and buy a rifle or shotgun. So at least you can have a firearm in your home if you need it.

New Jersey -- fuggeddaboudit. Unless you're an ex-cop, or connected, you don't get a handgun permit. You can't even buy a SLINGSHOT without a "firearms ID card", which is about as much trouble to get as a New York pistol permit. Not that this stops any of the slaughter in Newark or Camden.

End of rant. Pete in NJ

tattoomike68
12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
The Kid In Omaha that killed 8 and Himself in a mall,is all that is on the local news,I feel sorry for those He Killed, the Injured and there families .

He wrote a Note "I'll go out in style", and a will.
Oh Gee I got fired from MacDonald's, my life is over,I think I'll be a real jerk and make others suffer.:rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant, but he could have done it in his car all alone,and not be a jerk about it.:mad:

He should have been an abortion....

God bless the victoms..

Mariss
12-06-2007, 09:38 PM
To bad someone didn't offer him $1,000 to change the order of things from "Kill others, then kill myself" to "Kill myself first, then kill others, make a cool $1,000". He probably would have taken it. What an A-hole.

Mariss

bigbill04
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
[QUOTE=David E Cofer]<quote>

"Someday, we'll have to change the goverment back to the true roots and intentions of the forefathers by force. If you read the true concepts, it states a armed citizenry protects itself from government corruption."

"Perhaps we can all machine up some muskets for that special day?" <quote>

Mr. Cofer. I have been saying the same thing for the last 20 years or so. Being on SS Disability for the last few years has given me the opportunity to watch a lot of news. I do not believe every word that is told to us by the liberal media, but I can see the direction our once great country is headed, and it does not look good for us. I fear that one day the citizens of our country will become so fed up with the way things are being handled in Washington and that will lead to the Second Revolution. As my brother is fond of saying, "Keep your powder dry."

wierdscience
12-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Sad,selfish little prick decides to off himself and takes others with him,truly pathetic.

Dawai
12-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Imagine how his family feels? I bet they aren't enjoying this either.

My daughter just at the end of the summer decided to show my wife (stepmom) her fighting style. That didn't end well. I still am at a loss. NOT enough church, not enough morals, not enough of a father. Out of control.

Kids today probably have more problems than I did growing up in the racial riot era. I remember sitting on the porch with a .22 after Martin Luther King JR got killed. I didn't want to hurt anyone, any color, but was scared we'd all die that night.

I guess I don't understand the way people think. Burn down their own neighborhoods when they are mad. Kill other people who have not done a thing to them?

What about the older lady who preached to a robber and made him repent? the Nichols murderer who escaped from Atlanta, he got religion from a hostage. HURRAH.. We need more of that kind of thinking.. get to people before they snap.

dp
12-06-2007, 09:55 PM
Psyco is a language compiler. Psycho is probably closer to what you're going on about. I mention it only because you're normally hi-strung over spelling errors.

He may have been psychotic but if so that would mean he was very sick and needed help. He didn't get it so he handled it on his own. There is a well-known watchdog organization (ACLU) that has taken the world to court over involuntary confinement of mentally unhealthy people. California opened the doors of long-term care wards when Reagan was governor, and it hasn't slowed down. People like this need help, everyone else needs to pay for it, and we all have something to gain. Probably the biggest problem with properly managing this is Hollywood. After "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" nothing was ever the same again. Everyone is seen as a "Nurse Ratched" by popular media. A valuable and necessary industry was destroyed.

x39
12-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I remember sitting on the porch with a .22 after Martin Luther King JR got killed. I didn't want to hurt anyone, any color, but was scared we'd all die that night.
I did a double take when I read that. That's exactly what I did. We lived in Northern Virginia and my mom worked in DC. I was sitting on our front steps with a Remington 514 looking north towards DC, the entire sky was black with smoke.
Regarding the latest rampage, when seconds counted, help was there in minutes. I'm taking the wife shopping this weekend. Since I live in a CCW state, I'm guessing there will be quite a few folks exercising their Second Ammendment Rights with this fresh in the news.

wierdscience
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
It's all in the choices,good,bad and down right stupid,in this article we get all three-

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071205/METRO/712050396

IOWOLF
12-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Psyco is a language compiler. Psycho is probably closer to what you're going on about. I mention it only because you're normally hi-strung over spelling errors.

He may have been psychotic but if so that would mean he was very sick and needed help. He didn't get it so he handled it on his own. There is a well-known watchdog organization (ACLU) that has taken the world to court over involuntary confinement of mentally unhealthy people. California opened the doors of long-term care wards when Reagan was governor, and it hasn't slowed down. People like this need help, everyone else needs to pay for it, and we all have something to gain. Probably the biggest problem with properly managing this is Hollywood. After "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" nothing was ever the same again. Everyone is seen as a "Nurse Ratched" by popular media. A valuable and necessary industry was destroyed.

You ARE kidding ,right?
That's good, Bring humor into this ,That is a sure sign of denial. But Hey, we all handle it in different ways.

As for footing the bill, I pay enough Taxes.As I am sure we all do, where does it all go? Never mind.:rolleyes:

Your Old Dog
12-07-2007, 07:33 AM
I came out swinging at the nurse in my first post. This based on early information. As it turns out, she didn't find out about his intentions until 1 hour before the event and even that was cryptic. Retired from the media you'd think I'd have known better then to fly off half cocked based on early media reports. In the media, any information that doesn't "pump-up" your story subtracts from it's importance and hence interest and hence ratings.

dp
12-07-2007, 09:34 AM
You ARE kidding ,right?
That's good, Bring humor into this ,That is a sure sign of denial. But Hey, we all handle it in different ways.

As for footing the bill, I pay enough Taxes.As I am sure we all do, where does it all go? Never mind.:rolleyes:

No, actually, I'm not kidding, and I've also described the last 5 years of my sister's life after she was put on the street in California. "Liberated", as it was often called, without proper care and unable to care for herself. Her problems put her beyond our ability to provide the extreme care she required but we did the best we could.

Dawai
12-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Wolfie:
They said on the news last night, each american currently owes $40,000 for the national debt.. Would you like to write a check for that or carry it at %26 interest. That includes your kids if you got em, and your grandmother, and the lil redheaded kid down the street in kindergarten. Get them to write a check too.

Perhaps we can give some more money to a foreign power who will loan it back to us at a high interest rate. That's how they do business.

This wantless murdering crap has gone pretty far. About to the time where we need psychotic guards at public places in towers. Yeah, the ones that were working at the nuclear plant I was at would do just fine. Freakin nuts with m16s. I can remember one who was going to shoot people so they would stay away from a downed high voltage line.
Ohh yeah.. that'd probably worsen the problem?

IOWOLF
12-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Sorry about your Sis. but it is not Our problem, Take care of her the best way you can ,or put her someplace that can.
Don't expect the taxpayers to pay for it.

IOWOLF
12-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Wolfie:
They said on the news last night, each American currently owes $40,000 for the national debt.. Would you like to write a check for that or carry it at %26 interest. That includes your kids if you got em, and your grandmother, and the lil redheaded kid down the street in kindergarten. Get them to write a check too.

Perhaps we can give some more money to a foreign power who will loan it back to us at a high interest rate. That's how they do business.

This wantless murdering crap has gone pretty far. About to the time where we need psychotic guards at public places in towers. Yeah, the ones that were working at the nuclear plant I was at would do just fine. Freakin nuts with m16s. I can remember one who was going to shoot people so they would stay away from a downed high voltage line.
Ohh yeah.. that'd probably worsen the problem?

David it was more like 67,000 each, to get us out of debt for that day the next day we are in debt again.

But the US can send Billions to a country who had a tsunami? that country isn't worth Billions we should own that Island now.

And don't even get me started on $2000 debit cards and cruise ship apartments.

dp
12-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Sorry about your Sis. but it is not Our problem, Take care of her the best way you can ,or put her someplace that can.
Don't expect the taxpayers to pay for it.

She was found dead late one night on a street in Berkeley 20 years ago, at no expense to tax payers, not far from the care center she was evicted from years earlier.

There are ailments that are so costly and so complex as to eliminate immediate family from providing adequate care. For that we have a compassionate society. It's a hallmark of a healthy community. If you ever chance to suffer from extreme dementia you won't be aware of any of this but your family will and will be thankful for the help they receive caring for you. And my only point is we as a society used to be better at this than we are. This young man is an example of failure. Had he lived longer he may have gotten the help he needed.

IOWOLF
12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
By shooting himself he lessened the burden of the taxpayers.

Still a shame he couldn't go alone,by himself.

hitnmiss
12-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I've heard the 40k each for the debt.

I signed up for almost 3x that on my house. Scared the hell out of me.

Somethings are worth going into debt for.

I can understand 40k much more than 11 trillion or whatever the debt is now.

I would have no problem signing up for 40k if they wouldn't simply turn around and spend it back up again.

40k for the best country on earth is the way I would be a nice way to look at it, if they'd just stop the over spending. I don't think that will happen w/o collapse.

BigBoy1
12-08-2007, 06:08 AM
To become a legal gunowner over here you have to be a member of a shooting club for at least a year.

When you say "over here", where is that? If you don't put your location in your title line, could you at least please say where you are?

I would like to have everyone at least put some location in their title line so the reader can know where the author is located. If you're so paranoid that you can't list a city and state in the US, many just a state? Thanks.

Bill

Your Old Dog
12-08-2007, 06:44 AM
Bigboy, most of the guys in this thread don't have their location listed :D It's either his choice or like me for a long time, couldn't figure out where to put it.

IOWOLF
12-08-2007, 07:15 AM
When you say "over here", where is that? If you don't put your location in your title line, could you at least please say where you are?

I would like to have everyone at least put some location in their title line so the reader can know where the author is located. If you're so paranoid that you can't list a city and state in the US, many just a state? Thanks.

Bill

Or in this case, a Country.:rolleyes:

interiorpainter
12-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Location the Netherland and to be more specific, Holland.
To confess i am paranoid means mental illness ergo loss of license:D

Last poll revealed 1 in 3 persons has some sort of mental problem:eek:

I think there is enoug money to go around but spent wrong:mad:

Look at how we treat our elderly, the generation that build our nation:confused:

Would i like to be a teenager again. Hell no.

Dawai
12-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Everyone has mental problems, some of us more than others.

You are a sum of your past experiences from birth on, and the sum of your chemical-computer imbalances both chemical and connections you call a brain.

How you deal with them relays directly your character.

Were you aware convolutions of the brain can be passed on to next-generations? you inherit memories also, more baggage from your ancestors. That's how birds know to squawk, and dogs know to bark. AND you knowed to suckle, and breath, and..

The people who claim previous lives? if they'd just look into inherited memories? Ha.. I think you get one shot, then the aura-soul goes on elsewhere.

More shootings in the news. I hate that. I wonder how much is confused in the media.

tattoomike68
12-09-2007, 03:49 PM
We cant even spank our kids anymore. Get used to big brats flipping out and becoming little killers.

wmgeorge
12-09-2007, 04:16 PM
She was found dead late one night on a street in Berkeley 20 years ago, at no expense to tax payers, not far from the care center she was evicted from years earlier.

There are ailments that are so costly and so complex as to eliminate immediate family from providing adequate care. For that we have a compassionate society. It's a hallmark of a healthy community. If you ever chance to suffer from extreme dementia you won't be aware of any of this but your family will and will be thankful for the help they receive caring for you. And my only point is we as a society used to be better at this than we are. This young man is an example of failure. Had he lived longer he may have gotten the help he needed.

Sorry to hear how it came out. My wife has a daughter that is mentally ill. It took about 10 years to get her where she is today, almost 98% of normal. No one (I know) has the money to pay for proper treatment without government help. Her health insurance maxed out on mental illness in the first month! $10,000 lifetime! The insurance companies will pay $100,000 or more if you have a heart or kidney that needs work... but not mental.
Patients rights... means you can refuse the medication and hospital care you need to function.
Others don't know the problems and heartache this can cause a family....

chief
12-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Political correctness, government interference in child rearing, self-esteem placed above accomplishment, all religion except environmentalism and islam is bad, everyone is a victim, and the list goes on thanks to a liberal mentality
which has been foisted upon us by politicans and liberal psuedo-intellectuals
who believe that only they have the answers.
The only way to change this is to question those in power, demand concrete answers instead of vague replies and hold those people in public and private trust to a higher standard of accountabilty and integrity.
We deserve what we get, look at the buffoons the public is mesmorized with who are running for president, People who can't maintain the same position from one day to the next, really who in their right mind is going to trust anyone whose favorite retort is " I don't remember or I can't recall".

speedsport
12-09-2007, 09:47 PM
If you think the people who are running for President are bad, look at who/what we have now, can't get much worse.

andy_b
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
If you think the people who are running for President are bad, look at who/what we have now, can't get much worse.

it most certainly can. and i don't really care for who we have at present either.

andy b.

JS
12-09-2007, 10:29 PM
We are witnessing the breakdown of our society.

The Kid was very sick and the warning signs where there .

Our society has come to believe that sex, drugs,and violence is entertainment.

This describes what kind of society we have become...very saddening .

A.K. Boomer
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM
We are witnessing the breakdown of our society.

Couldnt agree more, This just in today, just 40 miles from where I live --- in colo. springs there were two separate shooting incidences in two different churches, both have many victims and some fatalities.:(

JS
12-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I am only 2.5 hours away from Omaha.

I will tell you what is scary some SOB tried to pick up 3 kids from my sons school including my son. " CLAIMED HE WAS AN UNCLE " GOD HELP THE MAN WHO HURTS my family for I can not say what would happen.

tattoomike68
12-10-2007, 02:24 AM
it most certainly can. and i don't really care for who we have at present either.

andy b.

Amen.

JS We are witnessing the breakdown of our society.

True and very sad.

To my kids I am thier best friend,we Talk about everyting, friends, love ,religion, drugs, sex, and just good morals.

Its our job to teach our own kids to be good people and lock up guns from weird kids.

We as adults and parent's are the ones to make sure it does not happem again.

That kid was a turd and he did not have good parent's.

I have a 16 year old daughter but I think the worst thing she might do is have sex with a girl. If thats the worst then Im fine with that. thats her Business.

A.K. Boomer
12-10-2007, 03:09 AM
Sorry to hear how it came out. My wife has a daughter that is mentally ill. It took about 10 years to get her where she is today, almost 98% of normal. No one (I know) has the money to pay for proper treatment without government help. Her health insurance maxed out on mental illness in the first month! $10,000 lifetime! The insurance companies will pay $100,000 or more if you have a heart or kidney that needs work... but not mental.
Patients rights... means you can refuse the medication and hospital care you need to function.
Others don't know the problems and heartache this can cause a family....

I knew a girl years ago, she could not cope in the everyday world, her Mom tried everything with her, But her Mom may also have been one of the girls biggest problems as she gave her everything she wanted from the get go, i think one of the biggest problems is we have lost touch with the life fight, we used to have to worry about surviving and it made us grateful when things were better, you have to get cold to apreaciate heat, you have to get hungry to value food, sometimes you have to fight for your life to realize you want to live, were so spoiled and removed from it, one of the best things that could happen to some of these kids is to get lost in the wilderness, some would give up imediatly and die, the ones that had to fight to live would have a different perspective when they found a trail back to society, for one they would realize that they want to live...

The girl went missing --- we spent a half year looking for her, she was found by two monks that were hiking at the bottom of a cliff a year later -- she jumped, at least she didnt go totally balistic and take out everyone else with her...

interiorpainter
12-10-2007, 04:48 AM
Boomer, in Africa some tribes have a very painfull coming of age ritual.
Very alike!

IOWOLF
12-10-2007, 06:01 AM
HOLD IT, Sex is entertainment, for adults.

pete913
12-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Its our job to teach our own kids to be good people and lock up guns from weird kids.

So true. Not only kids either. I remember quite some time ago when some guy walked into the mall of America carrying an unconcealed handgun in a shoulder holster, in plain view. When the security guys went to disarm him he started raving about what he percieved to be his second amendment rights. Mark my words, it isn't only the liberals who'll get peoples second amendment rights pulled, it's going to be the general population who'll eventually get tired of watching wild eyed lunatics and paranoids running around loose with a gun simply because they haven't committed a felony, yet, or been judged by a court to be a mental defective.

A.K. Boomer
12-10-2007, 09:34 AM
You cant lock up guns from weird kids if your perception of weird is normal --- or normal is weird, u know what i mean...

There's a oompa loopa think going on here, who's fault is it --- The mutha and the fatha, oompa loompa loompa de do - i have another puzzle for you...

Dawai
12-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Anyone who does not appreciate the freedom, or the original Constitution of The United states has my permission to leave the country.

There was a lot of thought by the forefathers on how to keep a free country free.

Control crazy people. IQ tests are not on the gun registration. There is immediate character and background checks thou.

Blacksmith
12-10-2007, 12:20 PM
"Political correctness, government interference in child rearing, self-esteem placed above accomplishment, all religion except environmentalism and islam is bad, everyone is a victim, and the list goes on thanks to a liberal mentality
which has been foisted upon us by politicans and liberal psuedo-intellectuals
who believe that only they have the answers."

If it ever gets to be feeling like it's too much, just turn off the radio. When I go on vacation I am completely away from media, and apparently none the worse for it. I consider news, etc... as purely entertainment, once it stops being entertaining I just turn it off.

We had this (apparently true) story a while back about northern native villages that as part of their cable packages got something like the Detroit super channel. All of a sudden they got gangs sprouting up off of the local Detroit models. That's why this kid chose the exit he did: it's a recognized almost promoted option in the media.

If one has ever been involved in a "story", the media always gets it wrong, while "everything" outside of one's competence sounds pretty plausible. I'm not blaming the media either, they either are directly in the entertainment business, and people ought to know better, or they have a difficult job actually finding new information and getting the first cut on it correct.

As far as the left and right nonsense is concerned, at exactly what point did it become patriotic to dis 50% of your society. At the purely political level, sure we are all entitled to vote for what we think is in our best interests, but not make it sound like pursuing self-interest is a moral victory. At what point exactly did the "code" become 'Unit, Corps, God, Country, Rush Limbaugh/insert liberal name here".

As far as that nurse is concerned, the idea we should report every young person who is depressed, disheveled, has a hobby, etc... is laughable. After the fact, anyone can drag out of the ether some attribute that now seems germane, that is a long shot from taking action in the first instance.

Blacksmith
12-10-2007, 12:23 PM
"Anyone who does not appreciate the freedom, or the original Constitution of The United states has my permission to leave the country."

That might come in handy considering the general competence at the border these days.

Rif
12-10-2007, 01:29 PM

andy b.

It will get worse. So far, all of the "front-running" presidential candidates have more in common with Karl Marx then George Washington. It appears that voting in the next presidential election may be pretty much meaninless. We may very well have a choice to vote between a socialist or a socialist.

This country's lack of understanding and abandonment of it's own Constitution is but one part of it's problem.

Though this situation is tragic, how many people would have been killed if the second amendment was still alive and well? The second amendment does not mention permits, background checks, paperwork, etc. It also includes the words "keep and bear" which basically means to have and carry. So, having a weapon on one's person is supposed to be a right. If the second amendment meant anything anymore, how many rounds could this lunatic have fired until a law-abiding, gun carrying, gun owner have taken care of the problem? A person intent on suicide is not concerned with whether or not they are breaking the law. Add to this another thought: Would 9/11 have been such a major incident if just the aircraft pilots had their second amendment rights intact?

Ok, rant mode is off. I just spent the weekend moving a South Bend 13x40 into my basement and I am tired and cranky. I still have clean, paint, and assemble the thing.

Brian

Rif
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
"Anyone who does not appreciate the freedom, or the original Constitution of The United states has my permission to leave the country."

That might come in handy considering the general competence at the border these days.

Actually, if anyone who does not appreciate the Constitution were forced to leave the country, we would almost be out of politicians! :D

andy_b
12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
It will get worse. So far, all of the "front-running" presidential candidates have more in common with Karl Marx then George Washington. It appears that voting in the next presidential election may be pretty much meaninless. We may very well have a choice to vote between a socialist or a socialist.

Brian

that's only true if you limit your choice to either a democrat or republican.

as to the CO. church shootings, i see the killer was stopped by a person with a firearm. yes, the person was a security guard, but i'm guessing the church security guards are basically just armed citizens doing crowd control and generally looking out for minor incidents. it isn't like a CO state SWAT team showed up and took the killer out. as they say, the best firearm is the one you have with you when you need it (whether that is at the mall, in church, or on your way to engineering class).

andy b.

Mad Scientist
12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Listening to the radio the other day I heard that this kid was on anti-depressant medicine. On the other hand if he were a brain dead druggy on PCP’s we would still be hearing about the evils of his drug use and how he ruined his life and how we must double our efforts to control these wicked drugs.
However it turns out that he was just on a “prescription drug” that was a every close relative to PCP and just like the illegal drugs one cannot just suddenly stop taking it.

The known and stated side effect of the drug he was taking was, surprise, surprise, suicide! Then when the money that went to the program that was paying his bills ran out he was suddenly dropped from the program. And the rest as they say is history. :mad:

Isn’t it interesting how if someone is using an illegal mind altering drug and they do something bad they are considered to be the scum of the earth. Yet when the medical community prescribes a similar mind altering drugs and something goes wrong, the silence is deafening, and they pretend that it was not their fault. Prescription anti-depressant drugs have been the common thread in these types of incidences.

Mad Scientist
12-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Actually, if anyone who does not appreciate the Constitution were forced to leave the country, we would almost be out of politicians!

That could work out better then one might expect.;)

[The government that governs the least is the government that governs the best.]

Rif
12-10-2007, 02:55 PM
that's only true if you limit your choice to either a democrat or republican.

as to the CO. church shootings, i see the killer was stopped by a person with a firearm. yes, the person was a security guard, but i'm guessing the church security guards are basically just armed citizens doing crowd control and generally looking out for minor incidents. it isn't like a CO state SWAT team showed up and took the killer out. as they say, the best firearm is the one you have with you when you need it (whether that is at the mall, in church, or on your way to engineering class).

andy b.

You are correct. But most people limit their choices to either a Republican or Democrat. (Is there any difference anymore?) Personally, I am voting for an individual who is a registered Republican; but, is more of a Libertarian. I don't agree with everything he stands for; but, I agree with the majority. He is in favor of a smaller, less intrusive government...and his voting record agrees. He is running for President; but, the news media doesn't care for him so he really doesn't have much of a chance. Since he is against "corporate welfare," he won't get much support from many large corporations, either. But, at least I'll be able to feel that instead of voting for the "lesser of two evils" I will have voted for the person that I feel would be the best for the job.

I didn't read much about the Church shootings as I was rather busy with my lathe.

Brian

IOWOLF
12-10-2007, 03:07 PM
"I didn't read much about the Church shootings as I was rather busy with my lathe."

As we all should be.

Though I started this , I didn't expect it to go Political.
We all have opinions, and they are all welcome. Sorry.

Lets lock this thread.

Dawai
12-10-2007, 03:50 PM
WAIT:::

Lemme take a dump right here... (====) I feel better now.

Okay, my opinion, Everyone crossing the border legally that wants to believe in the dream of America is welcome. If they uphold our morals, our laws great, Everyone who is unhappy with the original concepts of OUR country should either educate themselves or go to a happy place. FOR 200 years this has been the best country in the the world, Washington does need a enema.

My happy place is my workshop.

I love my country, Love the servicemen and women who serve it, some people just can go to hell thou and I'd not miss them a bit.