PDA

View Full Version : Grinder head on a shaper

dp
12-07-2007, 02:19 AM
Anyone ever tried or heard of it being done to mount a grinding head on a shaper? I'd like to take a whack at cleaning up the vice on my old Whipp shaper and this idea just popped up as a possibility. I can get nice finishes with the shaper cutters but grinders have advantages over cutters with interrupted cuts I may be doing after the vice is cleaned up.

macona
12-07-2007, 03:01 AM
I sure wouldnt do it. Who know where that grit will go. Find someone locally with a surface grinder and get them to do it. I need to do the same to my kurt.

ammcoman2
12-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I have seen numerous references to it. As long as one takes the same precautions when using the grinder as one would a toolpost grinder in a lathe, I can't see why it shouldn't be used.

Geoff

DR
12-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Yep, seen it done....

On a planer mill though. It was used to regrind machine tool ways at a local machine rebuilder.

One of my old books on machining shows a tool post grinder mounted on a shaper.

pcarpenter
12-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Sure...it could be done, but my take is that most of your fixturing ought to be more precisely machined than you can do with a shaper. A shaper ram will almost guaranteed travel in a bit of an arc as it deflects as you approach the far end of a stroke....even .001 and you are beyond the runout a surface grinder will produce by quite a bit.

I would want to make sure the vice was flat more than "clean it up" from an appearance standpoint. It could end up looking prettier but be far less square than it is now.

I also don't like the idea of flinging abraisive (we are talking silicon carbide and not metal shavings) at random over my machine tool way surfaces. Surface grinders are designed with tables that protect the ways throughout their travel.

Paul

LES A W HARRIS
12-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Anyone ever tried or heard of it being done to mount a grinding head on a shaper? I'd like to take a whack at cleaning up the vice on my old Whipp shaper and this idea just popped up as a possibility. I can get nice finishes with the shaper cutters but grinders have advantages over cutters with interrupted cuts I may be doing after the vice is cleaned up.
The old Pratt & Whitney Gear Grinder, was basically just that, a large shaper with a grinding wheel head mounted on it; plus rack drive for the rotary motion and indexing. Wish I had pics :( .
Cheers,

dp
12-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Les - I'll crawl the internet and see if I can come up with something on that.

lane
12-08-2007, 07:24 PM
Years ago we used to grind some kinds of plates for the saw mill industry . Using a 24 Shaper and a Dumore Tool post grinder.Running the ram as slow as it would go >Worked real well as i can remember.

dp
12-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Lane - that was exactly what I was scheming to do. Scheming in that I need to convince the Mrs. that she needs a new Dumore, and that I may need to borrow it from time to time.

Ian B
12-09-2007, 03:18 AM
DP,

The idea doesn't sound too bad to me. You're unlikely to get surface grinder precision, but you're talking about cleaning up a shaper vice here, not making a set of slip gauges. The grinder will put *much* less load on the ram than when you use a normal tool in the shaper, so ram deflection shouldn't be too much of an issue.

On the grinding dust; run the wheel so that sparks fly away from the shaper, and cut on the forward stroke, as your shaper normally does. Less dust on the machine, and you'll get the usual slower feed, quick return.

The moving jaws on most shaper vices lift when tightened - maybe you'd like to clamp something between the jaws to take acount of the lift.

Go for it!

Ian

bob308
12-09-2007, 07:44 AM
that is what i did used my dumore in my shaper to sharpen some wood jointer blades. now i am going to clean up my vise with the same set up.

it is easy to keep the grinding dirt out of the shaper just cut a pice of old convayer belting to fit around the fixture or vise then caulk around it and grind away.