PDA

View Full Version : Care and Feeding of Bridgeport Series 1?

ckelloug
12-08-2007, 02:04 PM
Hi all,

I just got power out to my shop. The 500 MCM wire for the 400 amp service to the house to support the shop was something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. The linemen from Huntsville Utilities were almost cursing when they saw it. Thanks to all those like David Cofer who shot sage advice my way. Also for what it's worth, JW, the electrical inspector from the city of Huntsville was so incredibly helpful and friendly that I couldn't believe it and I am grateful to him for getting me power back a day earlier then I would have gotten it had he not come back twice in the same day so he could sign it off.

At any rate, I've got the Bridgy hooked up to an Allen Bradly powerflex VFD which was about $400 brand new from the local electrical supply house and it's working great. Also, it's the size of about three paperback books!

Unfortunately, the mill's previous caretaker had let lots of crud accumulate in the ways and in the overlapping metal plates that protect the Y axis. How does one go about removing the metal chips that have gotten stuck in there?

Also, how does one lubricate the axes? I poured way lubricant from a 1 gallon bottle on the Y and it substantially freed up the axis and flushed out the chips but I don't know how to lubricate the x axis. Also, I see grease zerks all over the thing so I assume that some of the joints probably need to be greased. I suppose I need a grease gun and that everybody will have their own recommendation on the kind of grease. . .

Anyone know of a good source for new draw bars as it appears that mine is badly bent :(

Finally, I hear a little bit of sand in the bearing type noise coming from the spindle. It' doesn't sound terrible but from past experience, it's not the way bearings are supposed to sound. Perhaps it just needs some of the proper oil poured into the oiler cups but I'm guessing that this means that a large check to Fafnir or Barden will soon be required along with a small crane and 2 million man hours of maintenance.

Also got a birmingham 14x40 lathe out there and it's doing fine although I need to level it before doing any work on it.

Thanks for past and future answers,

Cameron

aboard_epsilon
12-08-2007, 02:14 PM
At the front of the mill on the knee is an allen headed cap screw ...
take it out and the plates will push forward ...
this will open up a gap at the back ...you can now see the knee bevel gear ...and clean and grease it ...
and you can push the plates back and forth until all crud is removed .

all the grease nipples/Zerk's are oil only not grease.

all the best.markj

pntrbl
12-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Here's a link on how to convert a typical grease gun into one that will shoot way oil into your zerks.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/oilgun/gunconvert.html

FWIW, I have no personal BP experience but I believe there's a oil hole for the feednuts that you access by aligning both the X and Y slides in the middle. Someone else will hopefully verify. Or you could look yourself!

SP

BadDog
12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Yep. There is a grub/set screw in the center t-slot. You align the witness mark in the front of the saddle with the maching mark in the table.