PDA

View Full Version : are quick-acting drill press vises any good?

mikem
05-31-2003, 01:26 AM
Got a new Delta drill press and I have one of those $20 vises on my other drill press and I want to get a better one. Maybe one of those quick-action ones (they slide open and shut and there is a cam for the final tightening.) from enco for $58? How about the Wilton(over $100) where the screw lays in a half nut and to slide it quickly, you just lift it out of the half nut and then replace it when you want to tighten.

Is a 4" jaw and 4" opening sufficient? What brands and types do you guys like? Thanks--Mike.

Thrud
05-31-2003, 01:47 AM
mikem:
I would not try them in a mill, but they are OK for drill press use.

L Webb
05-31-2003, 02:58 AM
MikeM, I have both kind you mentioned. I have a Heinrich quick acting with the cam-lock on one drill press and the kind with the half-nut on another. I like them both. I probably prefer the one with the half-nut most as it is larger and heavier and it usually sits loose on the table. The Heirich is easier to use clamped to the table rather than loose. It takes two hands to operate floating loose.

Les

Pat S
05-31-2003, 04:16 AM
If you use the kind that slides and locks with a lever but has no threads in one size too many times it stops working in that spot.