• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Your Old Dog
    • Dec 2004

Need a little help here.

I have a small vanity website at

www.raymondswan.com

I can't open it up. When I complain to the server folks they tell me it works fine. If you click on that site and it won't open could you please let me know? The server folks are in California and I'm in New York. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

I tried it and it worked fine, ,nice site, could be your browser security settings.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

• hoss2006
      • Aug 2007

It opened fine for me, nice pics Ray.
      I'm on the east coast too.
      Could be a problem with your browser.
      I sometimes have a problem getting online after I transfer files between pc's
      on my home network.
      Restarting fixes it though.
      Hoss

Comment

• Ryobiguy
        • Sep 2003

I can get to it just fine, some nice pics on there.

What kind of error message do you get?
        Can you try pinging it? (Start -> Run -> "cmd" -> "ping www.raymondswan.com")

Comment

• C - ROSS
          • Nov 2004

YOD
          It works for me.

Ross
          GUNS Don't kill people
          Drivers using cell phones do.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
            • Dec 2004

Thanks guys. I just cleared out all my browser memory stuff incase the problem lay in there but I still can't get into it? At least I know not to bark at the service rep from the web site
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• miker
              • Jul 2004

Opens OK from here. Good site. Nice photos and the pdf's are useful.

Rgds
              Michael

Australia

Comment

• small.planes
                • Aug 2007

seems to work fine from the UK

Dave
                Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

• tony ennis

Works, nice site.

Can you ping the URL?
                  Have you changed your 'hosts' file so you could test it locally?

Comment

• piniongear
                    • Aug 2007

Works fine for me as well. That is just about 100% of the tries have worked.
                    If you are running a firewall, or perhaps using Norton, you may want to check your securities settings and tell it to allow your site access. The firewall on my computer has caused me similar problems and the reset of the security levels (telling it to allow access) worked to fix the problem. Good luck.......pg

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                      • Dec 2004

Well I called my RoadRunner internet provider and he said everything looked okay on his end. He reset my modem, had me set IE7 settings back to default, turn off firewall and AVG virus program and still nothing. He could offer no more help. Any suggestions as to where I might look for an answer? All of my security settings have been opened up, all my temp files/pass words and such have been deleted and as noted before IE7 set to default settings.

I even tried clicking on the link at the top of this thread to no avail.

This is starting to frost me.
                      Last edited by Your Old Dog; 01-05-2008, 06:57 PM.

Comment

• John Stevenson
                        • Mar 2001

What about installing Firefox both as a check and to see if it overwrites any files and lets IE work again ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

• ptjw7uk
                          • Feb 2006

I assume you can get all other sites from the pc.
                          If you can got to run and type in cmd to get a dos window then type in ping
                          www.raymondswan.com as Ryobiguy suggested and see what error you get.
                          Then you could try "tracert www.raymondswan.com" and see what happens then.
                          Tracking these down can be very time consuming most can usually be cured by a hard reset(ie power off then on again)
                          Peter
                          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

• rantbot
                            • Jun 2006

It looks like something about the domain name changed yesterday. Did you switch hosts for the site? Your browser may be looking for the site at an obsolete DNS address.

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                              • Dec 2004

Well again thanks for the help. Still no luck. When I do a simple ping I get a timed out message real quick.

When I do the tracert.www....... I get a timed out message half way through 30 hops in the Chicago area and then 15 more timeout messages.

Rantbot may be on to something. I just paid my bill for the website a few days ago and the bill was due on Jan 7th. I wonder if they reset something? Not sure why it would work for you guys and not for me.

John I'm hesitant to try firefox as it's another piece of software to learn and this old dog has a hard time learning new tricks/software even though my wares are softer than ever !!

By the way, I just loaded up some 40 websites from my favorites with next to no problems. One California site loaded slower than normal but it loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X