PDA

View Full Version : Whew! Monday is the DAY!

torker
01-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Gonna get concrete poured into the "machine shop" portion of my shop!
Hired a pro...got the rebar in tonight...it's all ready to go. First time in 7 years that I can machine without having to clean fab dust before pushing a button! My machines are GROSS! Grinding dust in everything! The gurl MIGHT ckean the stuff before I need them...lol! You cannot believe what a relief this is! Finally get to unload the Wells bandsaw and the Ohio mill. The mill has been sitting on a trailer for several months now.
Can't wait...my cnc rotab will live again! When the gurl gets the fab shop woodstove too hot..I'll be able to find an excuse to "machine" something! One of lifes little pleasures!
Russ

wierdscience
01-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Russ,congrats,just be sure and get some good pics so you can post them and John S. will finally get to see what a floor looks like:D

I would show him my floor,but I haven't seen it in years and wouldn't know where to look for it exactly:D

torker
01-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Darin...lol! I'm told my floor will be a virgin for at least a week. After that it'll disappear in a heartbeat! I'll be asking John where it went!

Your Old Dog
01-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Funny thing about concrete. I had a cement block sidewalk for years at one house we lived in. Put in a real concrete walk by myself in the hottest day of July, damn near died trying to work it. But, I never put foot on that damn sidewalk without thinking how much I appreciated it. You'd have thunk I never saw a sidewalk before :D Hope you enjoy your new concrete as much. Post a picture of portrait quality for them that are still working over dirt, gravel, grass, mud :o

tony ennis
01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
"But, I never put foot on that damn sidewalk without thinking how much I appreciated it."

Same think for me and a paving stone walkway I put in. Worked hard on it but every time I step on it it's a pleasure.

miker
01-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Russ, are you going to use a cheap Laser to make sure the floor is level?? :)

Rgds

IOWOLF
01-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Have you thought about in ground heat? A small water heater, some tubes, and a pump, really quite easy.

CCWKen
01-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey, glad to hear that Russ! I've had rebar and forms down for over a year now and can't get anyone out here to do the concrete work. They want to do the whole works or nothing. Don't understand that. And seeing all that rebar laying there has scared away most of my friends. It's going to get poured this year for sure even if I have to bring in "undocumented" help.

Congratulation! We all look forward to pictures.

PolskiFran
01-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Ask your contractor about having the floor coated after it drys. A friend of mine had his floor coated with an epoxy sealer. He said it is the best thing he's ever done. I wish I had thought of it when I had mine poured.

Frank

speedsport
01-12-2008, 10:00 PM
CCWKEN, Where I live, in Oklahoma, its now a felony to knowingly hire a illegal alien, the lllegals are leaving Oklahoma in droves, since the law went into effect Nov.1 estimated 25k have left Tulsa.

oldtiffie
01-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Russ, are you going to use a cheap Laser to make sure the floor is level?? :)

Rgds

Mike.

There are any amount of those at hardware stores in OZ -"Bunnings" is a good start. Even in department stores.

(For those not in OZ: "Bunnings" is our biggest hardware store).

GMC are as good a brand as any and better than most.

Try this:
http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=products&pid=11

+/- 6mm at 30m accuracy seems pretty good to me 6:30,000 = 1:5,000 = 0.2mm per metre = +/- 41 arc seconds.

And that is for builders, carpenters, brick-layers, concretors, welders, fabricators, erectors etc!!

And its cheap.

Sort of makes some claims to orders of accuracy for/by some HSM-ers to be seen in a new light and appreciation of the degree of accuracy achieved by some of the perceived "less accurate" trades!!!

The "Chippies" machined "box" spirit levels are at least that good as well.

So, that means that if Torker/Russ uses a good machined box level and a good concrete screed and his proven ingenuity and lateral thinking - as he will - then he's going to make a fine job of that concrete slab.

Put a "Chippies" plastic or wooden rule alongside an Engineers rule(r) (36" or 1 meter) and you will be truly surprised at just how accurate they are. And they are a damn side easier to read. I use those "plastic" rules all the time - including the broken off 9"/250mm bits.

So, I have no reservations at all that Torker will do a top job - with or without a laser level of any sort or degree of accuracy!!

Oh, and FWIW, GMC is owned by a bloke in OZ who is a multi-millionaire. He also owns the "Triton" tools company as well. He knows his stuff - obviously. And he started off into all of this as a Tool-Maker who saw a niche in the market and an opportunity and "went for it"!!!

And in the process he make all of the "known", "better" and dearer brands really "sharpen their pencils" and "customer service". They had to maintain a good standard and get cheaper and improve their service.

He was a minnow who took on the "big guys" and beat them.

http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=about
http://www.gmcompany.com.au/index.cfm?module=news&id=60
http://triton.com.au

We were all winners.

CCWKen
01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
CCWKEN, Where I live, in Oklahoma, its now a felony to knowingly hire a illegal alien, the lllegals are leaving Oklahoma in droves, since the law went into effect Nov.1 estimated 25k have left Tulsa.

Illegal? Who said anything about illegals? ;) In Texas, our governor and most local officials refer to them as undocumented "Immigrants". As soon as they step foot in the US, they apparently have full Constitutional rights. No wonder we can't get a fence built. :rolleyes:

Ah, don't get me started. The thread might get locked. :cool:

torker
01-12-2008, 11:04 PM
LOL! We hired an "Illegal" to work at the motel we run. She's a lil' blonde girl from Georgia. Funny...she fell in love with some guy up here over the internet.. left her kids and husband down there...got up here to find out the guy is still "living" with his wife. She's ummm...waiting for him to leave her. Nice girl...hard worker...just not real bright. We're trying to get her all the permits etc she needs.
Guys...I'm hiring a pro to pour/finish the concrete. I do not have time. Besides...this guy can screed to a chalk line... I've never tried that. I'm putting in the infloor water heat piping tomorrow.

IOWOLF
01-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I wish IOWA would follow Oklahoma on that deal.
$7 Million estimated went to Mexico from this state alone in '06

torker
01-17-2008, 10:32 AM
OK...Monday has come and gone. The guy did a beatiful job...did all the finishing with hand trowels. Got the perfect (not too slippery) finish for a lil' machine shop floor. Now the waiting is killing me. Gawd...look at it...pure virgin floor just begging to have machines moved in. But, I can't...guy says with the wicked cold snap to wait at least three weeks.
I'd love to paint this before I move stuff in but I tried that with the last green floor and all the paint came off a month later.

pcarpenter
01-17-2008, 10:48 AM
A painted floor with water or oil on it is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

I have thought several times about how nicely it would sweep up though. I have also thought abou how many times I would have been sweeping up chips of the paint off the floor. I am glad I didn't paint mine.

I still end up sweeping parts of my floor every once in a while that were covered almost since it was new. Those parts are harder to sweep...they still have the dry, unburnished texture from when it was new. As the floor gets walked on, swept, etc, the concrete gets smoother and easier to sweep--even without paint.

And yes, given the way that top surface seemed rather "dry" and dusty for a little while when new, it would make sense that paint applied to it would not be well adhered.

Paul

macona
01-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Use the epoxy coating used in commercial kitchens. Top coat has sand mixed in. Wont slip even with oil on the floor.

Alistair Hosie
01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
We have alot of illegals coming from kosovo Albania and all round that region .It's sounds harsh me saying that but a lot of them are well known scoundrills crooks etc they have started to kidnap and bring in young girls to work in brothels wre they are help and persecuted against their will.They said on t v that 75% of people trrafficking and enslaving gorls into prostitution against their will is done by Albanians. I would castrate the lot of them and brand them and throw them ouit right away when you hear the terror stories of these young girls I could cry.Alistair

speedsport
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Alistair, who are the customers of these girls?

camdigger
01-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Russ

I coated my new shop floor with a two part epoxy before I put any machines in. IIRC, the floor was only 2 weeks old, but installed in midsummer and power trowelled to a gloss. I followed the prep routine recommended by the manufacturer and haven't had any significant issues in 10 years.

Again, IIRC, the supplier was Color your world. Cost for 625 sq ft +/- $100. 15 for etching acid, 80 for the 2 coats of 2 part epoxy, and 5 for the 1 litre of what looks like 20/40 frac sand (clear/white beach sand carefully sized and scrupulously washed clean). Etch with acid and scrub brush, rinse & dry 24 hrs, roll out base coat, dry 12 hours, spread sand, topcoat & allow 24 - 36 hours to cure, enjoy.
I do have mats or plywood in front of the lathe and under the band saw to prevent chipping though...

Cam

Editted P.S. Like Macona says, the first time I saw that stuff was in a food plant here in Cowtown...

Dragons_fire
01-17-2008, 08:07 PM
even home depot and Canadian tire now sell kits of the epoxy floor coatings..

Oldguy
01-17-2008, 08:21 PM
A couple of years ago, the maintenance crew at the junior college I attended, spent the summer painting the floor of the machine shop. Looked really nice for a few months, but by the end of a semester every machine had a "walkway" around it where the chips and traffic had chewed away the paint. Then a new mill was delivered and the skate wheels chipped off the paint as they rolled over it. Had eight little tracks that lead from the overhead door to the mills location.

Morale of the story - sometimes plain ol' concrete isn't such a bad thing.

Glenn