PDA

View Full Version : Cnc Controllers

denver high
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Has Anyone Built The Cnc Universal Controller That Was Serialized In Home Shop Machinist ??? Anyone Respond

sch
01-14-2008, 12:00 AM
If you refer to Roland Friestad's series, several were built at the CNC Workshop last summer. It is a commercial grade product when done,
with high quality construction and results. Not inexpensive, I never
saw a price list but gathered that a 3 axis setup complete would be in the $1200-1500 range. Box was $250-300 alone. Then there was the predrilled plate, power supply and the electronics and connectors. Pricing was
a little vague, depending on who did what and how much you included.

BobWarfield
01-14-2008, 11:54 AM
It needn't be so bad, at least for the hardware. Nice NEMA weatherproof (and hopefully chip and coolant proof!) boxes can be had on eBay if you look carefully. I bought 2 for $40 each.

Once you have the NEMA enclosure, it's just a matter of putting a plate on standoffs that you'll bolt all the electronics to. It's pretty straightforward to keep it all tidy if you're methodical.

Here's a somewhat smaller control I did inside a rack mount that was also fairly cheap from eBay:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/img/LatheStuff/CNCConversion/Drivers/P4213943.JPG

Cheers,

BW