PDA

View Full Version : Darrel Holland videos

carlquib
01-23-2008, 02:29 AM
Is there a cheaper source for these videos? I have heard that they are good stuff but 479 seems a little steep. I didn't find anything with an ebay search. I guess this may be my chance to finally give smart flix a try.

-brian

lazlo
01-23-2008, 03:25 AM
TechnicalVideoRental (now, smartflix.com) has then for rent.

I've watched the entire lathe series, and they're great. I'd like to watch the mill and the workshop practice videos sometime soon.

By the way, I sent Darrel a technical question about one of his videos, and he responded within 20 minutes with a details answer. Seems like a really nice guy, and apparently he's a Master gunsmith.

Smokedaddy
01-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Brian,

I personally think the videos/CD's are excellent. If you buy the entire set, they're double what you mentioned. Anyway, I rented a few from SmartFlix just a few weeks ago. To answer your question, No. I wish they were cheaper and I would buy them in a heart beat.

http://smartflix.com/store/video/574/Professional-Machine-Shop-Course-Vertical-Mill

-SD:

IOWOLF
01-23-2008, 06:38 PM
Who the hell is Darrel Holland ?

ProGunOne
01-23-2008, 08:46 PM
He is a riflesmith/machinist that has a series of instructional videos related to both subjects, available through AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute)
http://www.hollandguns.com/

smiller6912
01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
I have the whole set and I think that they are worth the price.
If you buy the 3 module set ($479.95 each) they are $997, it's almost like getting one free, for $1198 you get additional books (Machinery Handbook, Machine Shop Practices) and test materials to complete and send back for grading and certification (for whatever that is worth). I took several classes at the local community collage and spent nearly that much and don't feel that I got as much out of it. With the DVDs you get to see things up close and if you want you can go back over it any time you need to refresh your memory, and he is very detailed and though. I really learned a lot.
I'm glad I spent the cash even though it meant putting off buying my DRO for nearly a year.
Here is a link to the AGI site : http://www.americangunsmith.com/allitems.php?page=8

Boucher
01-23-2008, 11:49 PM
The short answer is that they are a bargain at twice the price.

Point of reference: The initial learning curve to get started in home shop activities is fairly steep. Several years ago I booked two weeks of vacation and attended the Trinidad Junior College NRA gunsmithing school. This involved traveling 2000 miles and staying in an RV park. I didn't keep the receipts cause I really didn't want to know what it cost. Suffice it to say it exceeded considerably the $1000 cost of the videos. Both ventures are worth the expense. The videos make excellent reference sources. I go back and review things that I am still learning to do.

KiloBravo
01-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I also thought they were great. I rented them from www.smartflix.com.
If I had to do it all over again, I would save my money on all the books and just watch his videos.