PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on CDCO's Power Feed

hdj80
01-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi all

I need a new power feed for my mill. It currently has an old Align AS100 fitted which has more electrical problems than I am prepared to attempt to fix.

I am going to replace it and looked at the stuff on Ebay and they are all roughly the same - and roughly the same price for a 150inlb X feed.

I have seen plenty of comments here that indicate CDCO is trustworthy and would prefer to spend money and get the product - something you cannot gaurantee with Ebay.

So any opinions/owners/experience on the CDCO product?

Cheers

Craig

BobWarfield
01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Craig, one thing about the cheap power feeds is that theyre delicate.

Plastic gears and no good clutch mean you may buy a new one if you crash.

Cheers,
BW

IOWOLF
01-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I have one , good enough for hobby stuff.
I agree with Bob, but they do sell the gear separately.

hdj80
01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Which gear do you refer to. The main large one in the base?

IOWOLF
01-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Yes, thats the one that strips out.

lane
01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Its designed to strip so you don`t tare up the feed motor and other parts. Its a safety feature.

hdj80
01-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info.

My old unit still has a serviceable main gear so I will keep for a spare....well I will keep the whole thing. I'm a shocker for hanging on to "junk".

Bill Pace
01-23-2008, 07:22 PM
I've got a couple CDCO's PF's and they seem to be well made units. The only couple times I heard of failures was when there was a crash, and as Lane says, the gear is a safty feature ... kinda like a shear pin.

By the way, for those of you who dont have the web site (one of em) for parts for these things, here it is........might stick it in your bookmarks

http://www.bestlinepro.com/power-feed-parts.asp

lazlo
01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Its designed to strip so you don`t tare up the feed motor and other parts. Its a safety feature.

On the Servo brand power feeds, like I have on my Millrite, there's a spring-loaded clutch. When the axial pressure on the helical gear exceeds the spring tension, the clutch pops out, and the Servo feed stops, and the big helical gear doesn't strip.

Very elegant design, but unfortunately the Chinese didn't copy that part of the design.

IOWOLF
01-23-2008, 08:29 PM
They probably didn't understand it.

lane
01-23-2008, 08:30 PM
That is the difference between the real Mc Coy and the fake. The old servo had brass gears that would not strip so things went bad. They came out with the plastic and spring mechanism.

wierdscience
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Yup,and the two later model Servo units I have both have just a plastic gear with no clutch,unless it's hid somewhere.

I got lucky and bought both Servo units at auction cheap,otherwise I would have bought Import probably from CDCO.Servo is just out of reach for HSM use price wise.