PDA

View Full Version : I need advice again

Alistair Hosie
01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
I am going back to a problem I tried to solve and was ridiculed by Evan :D if I remember correctly (IFORIVE HIM:D). Anyway I digress I bought a load of new sanding belts they turned out to be too big for my sander. Widthwise they were great but alas too long.I shortened the belts and reglued them thinking I was smart with kidskin and gorilla glue.This immediately broke during a few seconds of trial. After many attempts I threw it in the corner in disgust and thought as usual my Pal Evan was right in his assumption it was not worthwhile. Anyway I looked again recently and was pleasently surprised to fing that it was actually the kidskin that had failed not the glue joint.I have a good pile of these and want to try at least once again.I wonder if you guys could suggest something else ?The manufacturers put a small piece of plastic like a fraction of a credit card in the gap and somehow glue that on .I realise I will need something bigger longer and better.any ideas something which is flexibile and tough.Alistair

sconisbee
01-23-2008, 07:37 PM
How about gluing them then backing up the joint with a high strength fibre reinforced tape?, thats how the butt joined belts i use on my bench linisher are done, granted i dont know where you might find the tape tho.

bob_s
01-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Polyurethane based glue and carbon fiber cloth. See

http://www.shopmaninc.com/carbonpage.html

for pricing$$

lazlo
01-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Sanding belts are Evil Alistair. Give them to your psychologist.

tattoomike68
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Use a worn out belt for a patch peice.

Your Old Dog
01-23-2008, 08:42 PM
For the 36 grit you might try pop rivets. Not sure if they make them small enough to use on your 500 grit belt ?

Carld
01-23-2008, 09:52 PM
There was a thread about gluing leather belts and someone said they use a celaphane strip with acetone to glue them. How about asking a belt maker to tell you or have them shorten them for you.

GKman
01-23-2008, 10:05 PM
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27055&highlight=gkman

I tried the 3M plastic trim adhesive (a clear contact cement) amd it seems to be working. Just used some thin ?? fabric. Made the fabric patch about 5/8" wide, masked off that 5/16" on each end of the belt, coated the splice area on the belt and SATURATED the cloth patch. Covered with waxed paper and a board and clamped for a while.

Like the sound of the carbon fiber, just none in the scrap box.

Alistair Hosie
01-24-2008, 09:59 AM
someone suggeted a piece of denim maybe that will do is gorilla glue ok?Alistair

aboard_epsilon
01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
some of the belts I've noticed are joined up with a clear re-enforced tape .

where you get this stuff from ......i don't know

perhaps try

DIRECTA

http://directa.co.uk

tel
01621 828882

all the best.markj

NickH
01-24-2008, 12:04 PM
I think the reinforced tape coud be glass fiber reinforced and the adhesive high temp thermal, how about woven fiber glass matting & a polyeurethane adhesive?
Nick

Pete H
01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm with Nick. Fine fibreglass fabric - probably "6 -ounce" (USA designation, UK users may get different results, the 50-cycle AC don'cha know), plus a polyurethane adhesive like Gorilla Glue. Leave a nice wide band, saturate it well with the glue, and clamp it between two pieces of release paper (or waxed butcher's paper, if that's all you can get). Give it 24 hours to cure, clean up the mess (there will be one), and try it out. And then tell us how it worked out. Good luck!!!

One thing I haven't seen mentioned - the overlaps, if there are any, have to be oriented so they slide OVER the workpiece, not butt into it, which will tear the joint apart in no time.

Pete in NJ

garyphansen
01-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Have you tried Duct Tape? Don't no, might work! Gary P. Hansen

Alistair Hosie
01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Duct tape might be strong enough but not sticky enough.Also gorilla glue make a tape anyone know of it?Alistair Alistair