PDA

View Full Version : An Abused Turret Tool

pntrbl
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Got this poor thing on E-Bay for less than $20.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Smashedshaft.jpg

There was some mention of shaft damage in the auction so I'm not horribly upset. Looks like it'd be a cool tool if I can salvage it tho ....

The rest of the tool is present and accounted for. The rollers turn. The roller adjustment is fine. Despite the existing weld you see at the top the tool holder slides back and forth a 1/4" or so for fine tuning. Got a cute little rocker that goes under the tool bit.

Cut and weld a new shaft? But how will I hold it for final turning? Or should I throw it away and call it a cheap lesson .....

SP

pcarpenter
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
If the damage has squeezed the thing out of round as it appears it may have, I would cut it off and braze on a new shank. If not, I would be tempted to braze in the crushed-in portion and then just turn it back round. Either way, it would need a thorough cleaning to remove the oil from the metal and a preheat as I am guessing it may be a casting.

I never mind fixing up a bargin. I just hope it was substantially less than $20. I also hate when they will mention some damage but not show a picture. There's no reason a pic could not have shown you just what some "shaft damage" meant. Often there is a reason you only get one blurry picture from an angle that does not show the injured part:rolleyes:

paul

Herm Williams
01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I would put a rod thru the center, weld it up, turn it round ,remove the rod bore the center. If that didn't work I would weld it up, put it in the four jaw chuck and turn it.

pntrbl
01-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Here's a pic of the backside.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Backview.jpg

Definitely a casting and pcarpenter is correct. The shank is egged.

I fooled with my 4 jaw for a bit but didn't come up with any mounting arrangement I was willing to spin.

My apologies if I'm making a mountain out of a molehill over this .... but when ya don't know what the hell you're doing ..... :o

SP

tony ennis
01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Bolt it to a built-up plywood base. Put the plywood into a 4-jaw. Turn it slow. Then press a sleeve over the one that remains. I don't weld or braze :-)

BadDog
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Screams "face plate" to me.

Careful setup referencing the good faces square. Turn slow and remove damaged shaft and face rear shoulder of that heavy lug.

Bore shallow (maybe 0.100? Don't know scale of pic) hole into the spigot out to OD + small clearance for silver solder.

Make new shaft, nicely turned and bored, to fit in bored spigot, solder into place.

If it's big/strong enough, and decent material, might even go for a shrink/interference mechanical mount, but I think I would prefer SS.

IOWOLF
01-24-2008, 01:03 PM
Bolt it up to a Walnut Base and hang it on a wall as a reminder.

pntrbl
01-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Bolt it up to a Walnut Base and hang it on a wall as a reminder.

LOL! That was a good one Wolf. Or alternatively I could hang it from the rafters on a wire at the right height to bang my head on it every now and then ....

But I got nuthin' to lose. Can't make it any worse.

Scale wise it's a 1" shank and my turret has 13/16" holes. I could sacrifice some OD to the cause.

Right now I've got the shank in a 4 jaw trued up on the undamaged ID in the body. My 5/8" boring bar will slip in there but only until we reach the interior egg wall. Thinking about running a drill thru to clear that but worried how far off center I'll wind up from the drill flexing.

If my boring bar wasn't the shaft type with adjustable bits at 90 and 45 I wouldn't be having this problem! LOL! Never enough tools ....

SP

pntrbl
01-24-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not gonna break my arm patting myself on the back, but I got that poor old boxtool mounted up in my turret.:D I bored the body out to 7/8" and then used one of those cheap expanding mandrels in it just like you guys taught me. Popped the mandrel in a collet and we were off to the races.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Mounted001.jpg

Now I just gotta figure out how to use it.

SP

Fasttrack
01-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Nice job - expanding mandrels are dead useful aren't they? I don't have a nice set, yet (:D), but i've been making them as i need them. A pain to make the first time round, but once its made they are super handy.

BadDog
01-24-2008, 07:42 PM
Man, that is an OLD one...

Have fun with it! I've got a 1" shank B&S box I picked up pretty cheap, but never even mounted it yet...

BTW, what is with those turret tool designations. Seems like "00" is 5/8, and then there are several others up to "2" that is used for 1" shanks. So my box tool would be a "2RT" for a "1 inch shank right hand tool". Is that right?