PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Bob Siebert / tools4umachinest

Andy F
01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
Just a heads up on buying tooling from Bob Siebert in Dayton Ohio. He advertises toolholders on ebay under the ebay name tools4umachinest. I paid over 3000 USD for a CAT 40 toolholder package 6 months ago and despite numreous phone calls and emails Bob Siebert never delivered the order. I have bought from him before and always got the tools delivered so apparantly he has changed tactics recently. Just a fair warning...

All the best,

Andy

torker
01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
I maybe missed it but I couldn't find that name under a google or ebay search. You got a link to any of his listings?

MikeHenry
01-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Have you filed negative feedback through Ebay? His last negative seems to have been 6-12 months ago.

Jim Caudill
01-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Andy posted essentially the same thing over at the "Practical Machinist" website. It appears he joined here today for the express purpose of "airing" his frustration with Bob Seibert, owner of ebay ID tools4umachinest.

I posted in the thread at the PM website as well. I have known Bob for over 10 years professionally. I have had about 1/2 dozen or so deals with him, and all were quite satisfactory. I know nothing of Andy's situation other than what he has posted here and at PM. $3,000 is a LOT of money to be "Out" or in contention. There must be another side to this story, or something has radically changed in Bob Seibert's situation.

JCHannum
01-24-2008, 03:10 PM
I know Bob as well, having attended many auctions with him. I rather doubt that he would be willing to put a large and very successful business at risk for a single sale. I suspect there is another side to the story.

I sent him a link to the PM posting.

Alistair Hosie
01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
In any case if he has treated you unfairly and you paid with paypal you will get your money back once they investigate and find him presumably at fault.They needless to say have to hear what he has to say first that's only fair .I had a few problems on ebay and they always were helpful to me got my money back twice as the found immediately in my favour.Alistair

pcarpenter
01-24-2008, 06:24 PM
If you search on the username (you must used the advanced search feature to do this), you need to make sure to mis-spell machinist as was indicated in the original post:rolleyes:

Why do people do this......things that end in est typically are words used to express greatness...ie largest, smallest, craziest etc.

To describe someone who has expertise in a particular area, "ist" is used...ie machinist, dentist, spellerist:D

Paul

JRouche
01-24-2008, 06:32 PM
I have bought numerous items from tools4umachinest. Bob has been a great seller.. Never any problems.... JRouche

Jim Caudill
01-24-2008, 07:07 PM
I went back and took a look at his feedback for the last year. Out of almost 2,000 transactions, his only negative and most of his neutrals came from one customer: "shyboy". He had another customer give him 2 neutrals as well. You're not going to be able to please everybody, and when you do that many transactions with that many different customers, sometimes there are going to be disagreements.

I'm not saying "shyboy" or any other customer's complaints aren't legitimate. We/I don't have any way to judge that. All I can see is a pattern of many satisfied customers and a couple that are disgruntled.

Still, $3,000 is a LOT of money to be in dispute about. This ain't no "endmills were dull", or "drills were resharpened" type of complaint. This is "I paid $3,000 and don't have anything to show for it". Could be a "lost in transit" deal with no insurance or similar.

NickH
01-25-2008, 05:03 AM
Nothing more from the original poster, not a surprise really - looks like an account created to post negative publicity and now he's sunk without trace.

Without more info it's hard to decide who's to blame but the seller's feedback gets him the benefit of my doubt.

Perhaps the buyer thought to save $20 by opting out of or not selecting insurance - in which case he's learned an expensive lesson, but he just didn't say, (in the style of Captain Mainwaring) "stupid boy!"

Since the buyer couldn't be bothered to post enough info for a reasonable conclusion to be drawn I'd find in favour of the seller, the buyer seems good at getting things wrong or incomplete,
Nick

IOWOLF
01-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Popped in , stirred up crap, no one jumped on the bandwagon with him, Poof , he's gone somewhere else to Stir the pot, I hope.

oldtiffie
01-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Was he a Troll or just looked like he might have been?

The eBay site did seem to have others that were a bit upset as well.

I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt - but should I?

hdj80
01-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Jeez guys the poster deserves some consideration - or does he?

If you were ripped for $3k with no satisfaction would you not find every avenue possible to make life hard for the ripper?

I know I would. I would join forums (fora??) and slag the F out of the prik - probably never contribute (especially if I forgot to subscribe to the thread) and ensure the world knew about my pain.

I would take it on board regardless of the originators whereabouts- is anyone here keen to drop $3k with this seller now???????????? If you are do it and let us know.

JCHannum
01-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Bob is a known quantity, with 8683 total positive feedbacks and only one negative in the past twelve months. That is certainly not a picture of an unscrupulous dealer.

Andy F has only posted five times on PM and once here. His location is vaguely listed as Asia. I would put him in the unknown category, as we have no idea who he is or what his motives are.

NickH
01-25-2008, 02:52 PM
Jeez guys the poster deserves some consideration - or does he?

If you were ripped for $3k with no satisfaction would you not find every avenue possible to make life hard for the ripper?

I know I would. I would join forums (fora??) and slag the F out of the prik - probably never contribute (especially if I forgot to subscribe to the thread) and ensure the world knew about my pain.

I would take it on board regardless of the originators whereabouts- is anyone here keen to drop $3k with this seller now???????????? If you are do it and let us know.

The poster deserves consideration commensurate with the level of information he provided - NONE :D

oldtiffie
01-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Bob is a known quantity, with 8683 total positive feedbacks and only one negative in the past twelve months. That is certainly not a picture of an unscrupulous dealer.

Andy F has only posted five times on PM and once here. His location is vaguely listed as Asia. I would put him in the unknown category, as we have no idea who he is or what his motives are.

Thanks JCH.

I'd like to give the OP the benefit of any doubt. He joined this forum this month - January 2008 - and this is his only post. I don't know if he has been a "viewer" or not since posting.

On the basis of his first (OP) and only post on this thread and the complaints from "dudded" clients - all/most in Australia (OZ) - it seemed that he had a good case and perhaps an obligation to "make it known" as best and as wide as he could.

Having said that, I'd have expected him to post again to either see how this thread that he started was going or to bring us up to date or say thanks - or what-ever.

Being only in "Asia" is a bit vague at best as Asia is a big place. It is arguable as to whether OZ is in Asia or not as Asia is our biggest trading partner. Geographically, we might be in Asia as well.

Many Australians either work in Asia, live there or commute regularly.

Anything is possible.

The last one I recall like this was a Doctor who started a huge discussion on worms and wheels on rotary tables.

Even if the OT is not a troll, or a "one-time stirrer" his manners leave a lot to be desired.

Perhaps it might be best that this thread be left as is before or in case it turns into a "slamming session".

Alistair Hosie
01-25-2008, 04:44 PM
I get the impression he's a mischief maker trying his luck maybe he's a competitor.

JRouche
01-25-2008, 10:11 PM
If he was sincere you would have seen him follow up with his OP.. Nope, nadda.. Troll!!! JRouche