PDA

View Full Version : felt for wipers

Lew Hartswick
01-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Has anyone found a "local" source for the heavy felt used for wipers?
we are "overhauling" a couple of Bridgeports and while apart would
like to replace the wipers. Tried the fabric shops and upolstery shops.
Is there any sport or art things that use the stuff? We want to put
them back together Monday morning so can't do any mail ordering.
Thanks.
...lew...

darryl
01-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Got an old ink jet printer laying around? There's a wad of felt-like material in the bottom to absorb spillage, etc. It might be built up from layers, but those layers are 1/4 thick or more. It can be cut easily with a new blade from an olfa cutter or similar. Chances are that more than half of it is still pristine.

rbregn
01-26-2008, 04:34 AM
Get some replacement liners for your pac boots!:D

Norman Atkinson
01-26-2008, 04:59 AM
Keep it under your hat but the Mad Hatter had some!
I hardly felt it necessary but ................................

Norm

PTSideshow
01-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Check for the sheet felt pads for furniture protectors. I get them at the local HF and the disk ones to use as buffs cheaper than the dremel sold ones. Kmart also had them in 4x6 inch sheets with and with out glue on the back they are about 1/4" thick.
Check Mc Masters-Carr as they had it in sheets If I remember it was in around gasket material etc. http://www.mcmaster.com/index.asp
:D

lazlo
01-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Lew, high density felt is available in sheets at Home Depot and Lowes. It's in the drawer aisle.

I use the Home Depot felt for my milling machine wipers.

Cheers,

Robert

rkepler
01-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Lew, I think I've got some out in the shop - if you dare brave the "killer mutt". If you like give me a call and I'll make sure that I can find it before you come over.

Carld
01-26-2008, 03:15 PM
A shop that sells rubber products for machinery here in Lou. ky. sells felt in different thickness's. You might do a google for felt sheets and see what comes up.
Lew, if you can't find any outlet let me know and I will check with them. If they still sell felt maybe they will sell by mail.

quasi
01-26-2008, 04:53 PM
mc-master carr sells a few different grades and shapes.

Scishopguy
01-26-2008, 06:11 PM
I just happened to be in WalMart the other day and bought some felt bumpers to go on some cabinet drawers. I noticed that they have it in sheets about 4" x 6" that you can cut yourself. The sheets are light tan and are about 1/4" thick. I was thinking that they would be perfect for replacing the wipers on the lathe carriage and maybe even the bridgeport, if the wiper was made in two pieces.

best regards,

jdunmyer
01-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm pretty sure that High Quality Tools, Inc. has wipers for B'Ports, they sell most other parts. Toll free number is 1-877-372-9227 for Ohio HQ, they also have branches in Florida and California. They've given me good service the couple of times I've needed parts.

lazlo
01-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I noticed that they have it in sheets about 4" x 6" that you can cut yourself. The sheets are light tan and are about 1/4" thick.

That's the stuff I bought at Home Depot. Cheap, High density, works great.

aboard_epsilon
01-26-2008, 10:33 PM
I get my felt from a piano repair shop .

all the best.markj

Pete H
01-27-2008, 12:10 AM
The soles of some fishing waders are high-density felt, about 1/2" thick. Replacement soles sell for about $10 a pair (or DID, last time I bought any).

-Pete in NJ

J Tiers
01-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Won't do you any good right now, but Small Parts Inc sells white wool felt in various thicknesses.

I prefer, but can't prove a good reason for my preference, the wool felt vs the synthetic stuff from most other sources.

The synthetic stuff seems to squash out a bit more, and always seems looser and more porous. The wool seems to be compact and appears to have a better wiper action. I think it may be a better "filter" for gunk.

I think that actual wiper felt may also be treated with some sort of diluted shellac etc as a binder that makes it hold together better than untreated. I have not tried anything as a binder, but I'd consider diluted shellac, under the assumption (which needs to be investigated) that it is less affected by oils than some other possible materials.

You wouldn't need a lot, just enough to make it not want to fray out.