PDA

View Full Version : Chaser Questions

pntrbl
01-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Another $20 E-Bay item.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/DieHead001.jpg

I believe this head takes geometric D style chasers. You can see a scribed mark on the side down low where it says 9/16 DJ. Is that the size chaser I need to chase?

Also, what are the S, L, and 0 for? Some kind of alignment?

In addition, I'd like to turn the 1" shank down to 13/16" for my turret and it looks like it comes apart. See the snap ring in the next pic.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/DieHead002.jpg

But before I take something apart that's gonna go boing on me I thought I'd ask!

SP

BadDog
01-26-2008, 01:12 PM
That's a bit strange. It's a "die head", but looks shop made. Never seen a shop made die head before. And that rear clip looks like it's being used as some sort of thrust surface rather than holding it together.

As for the lettering, looks like SOL to me, which is my normal state of affairs. Other than that, can't say. :D

And 13/16 is a very odd size for a turret, never seen that one anywhere else. I think I would see if I could open it up for 1" tooling, then bush down for smaller stuff. Gives a nice wide range of common options.

JCHannum
01-26-2008, 01:59 PM
The S&L are small and large, for over/undersize threads or to adjust to compensate for wear.

When dismantling unknown equipment, if it is done inside a plastic garbage bag, unanticipated springs and small parts will be confined.

DR
01-26-2008, 06:33 PM
Looks like a non-opening style head.

Before buying a bunch of chasers (that might not fit) it would be best to contact somebody like Threading Equipment Company to verify exactly what type chasers fit.

pntrbl
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Thanx for the responses gentlemen. I didn't get it in the pic but it's made by TRW. Hopefully for generic chasers, but I'll be googling the Threading Equipment Company next to find out. :)

I've been thinking about opening the turret to 1" because I see that size tooling all the time. I believe it originally had 1/2" holes tho so I'm just a little leery of going that far. There's a shaft with a cutout to match the hole for locking the tools in place that will be getting considerably thinner at the cutout if I did. I dunno ..... The other thing I don't know about is cutting tools down to 13/16" that are designed to have a full 1" shank.

JC, good job on the SOL! I never would have guessed.

SP