PDA

View Full Version : Used milling machines.

Tyro 001
01-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Anybody know anything about Norman Tools of Maryland? I'm getting ready to buy a mill and they have one I'm interested in. I'm a little leery of buying a mill, site unseen, and seller unkown. Any comments would be welcome.

JoeFin
01-26-2008, 03:44 PM
If it was Van Norman I would be all over it

Tyro 001
01-26-2008, 03:50 PM
The name of the used machinery dealer is Norman Tools. The name of the mill in question is Wells Index. I've never done business with them, and was wondering if they were a reputable dealer. Their business isn't restricted to Wells Index, they sell all the usual brands Wells, Bridgeport, etc.

Scishopguy
01-26-2008, 06:21 PM
If your not lucky at gambling then you really want to go and take a look at it in person. Wells Index makes a fine machine and it is even beefier than a Bridgeport but there are some things to take note of. As some here have mentioned, it does not always have an R-8 spindle. You will want to feel for slop in the table and lead screws, as well as taking note of the general condition of the machine. Pictures and descriptions are a nice starting point but if you are going to lay down a couple of thousand you really want to be sure.

Just my $ .02 worth, best of luck with your mill,

kap pullen
01-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Norman Machine Tool Ltd is a family business and has been
operating for many years in Baltimore.

Here is their website;

http://www.normanmachinetool.com/

In the past I have purchased from them;

Two, Dah Lih Vertical Machining Centers,
One Union Boring Mill,
One Enco 13 X 54 Mill,
Several Supermax mills
One Monarch lathe,
One G & E Shaper,
and a Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper.

I have been satisfied with these purchases, but advise you to inspect any
used machinery from any dealer.

They will run leads to the machines for a test run.
It is worth the trip.

I worked with Michael Norman.

I have no connection with Norman Machine Tool Ltd.

Kap