PDA

View Full Version : Big Nut Splitter

Ian B
01-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Does anyone know where I can find an open frame nut splitter that will split 1.5" A/F nuts? We have a small one, like this:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ast9449.html

that works very well on nuts up to 3/4" A/F. I'm looking for its big brother. It's screw / hydraulic, allowing the screw to be offset to one side, giving better access.

I can find lots of designs that completely encircle the nut, but we don't have space to get that design in - it has to be the one that looks like a micrometer on steroids.

Thanks,

Ian

Timleech
01-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know where I can find an open frame nut splitter that will split 1.5" A/F nuts? We have a small one, like this:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ast9449.html

that works very well on nuts up to 3/4" A/F. I'm looking for its big brother. It's screw / hydraulic, allowing the screw to be offset to one side, giving better access.

I can find lots of designs that completely encircle the nut, but we don't have space to get that design in - it has to be the one that looks like a micrometer on steroids.

Thanks,

Ian

Is this one big enough?

http://www.shacktools.com/sykespickavant-hydraulic-nut-splitter-33mm-p-1746.html

I've got one similar which needs an overhaul (new seals & wax), you'd be welcome to borrow it (in the UK) if you can fix it ;)

Tim

Forrest Addy
01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Those screw in nut splitters may eggshape the stud from the tons of brute force it takes to drive the splitter edge into the nut. They work well on soft nuts but heat threated nuts will challenge them.

Back when I was working on big rusty stuff I used a #3 chipping gun and a cape point chisel to split nuts. A couple of cuts down opposite flats barely to the thread crests and you can usually spin the nut righ off.

I recall a steam turbine I split about half the case nuts off. It took about twenty-seven years of subjective time to remove 2 million nuts but looking back maybe it was two days for two dozen. The nuts were big; maybe 2" studs. I was young and strong then, Kennedy was in the White House, I had a pretty girlfriend, a 1959 TR3, and the world by the a$$. Life was good and I flung myself at hard work.

Ian B
01-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Thanks Tim,

Thta's exactly what I was after! It's for use offshore Cameroon, so you'd be pretty unlikely to see yours back again - tools tend to "evaporate" here. How's the DS&G btw?

Forrest, the bolts are rusted and waisted away in the middle, so they'll be getting replaced anyway. The nuts aren't especially hard - the smaller sizes split without too much trouble.

Ian

jimsehr
01-28-2008, 03:53 PM
I've split nuts with a Dremel and thin slitting blade.
jims

DR
01-28-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks Tim,

Thta's exactly what I was after! It's for use offshore Cameroon, so you'd be pretty unlikely to see yours back again - tools tend to "evaporate" here. How's the DS&G btw?

Wait a second before you order......1.5" was the nut size, the one linked to has a capacity of only 33mm. According to my figuring it won't do the job.

moldmonkey
01-28-2008, 05:55 PM
You're replacing the bolts as well? Why not use a O/A torch?
I've seen guys with more torch skill than myself cut a nut off without harming the bolt.

tattoomike68
01-28-2008, 06:15 PM
You're replacing the bolts as well? Why not use a O/A torch?.

One size fits all too.

rhmalsch
01-28-2008, 06:46 PM
A smoke wrench will remove those nuts without damaging the stud with a little practice. Torch both sides but stop just short of threads. Then split with chisel. Takes only a minute or two per nut.

Ian B
01-28-2008, 11:52 PM
We're doing what's called 'hot bolting' - removing bolts from 8 or more bolt flanges one by one, lubricating and replacing them where necessary. This is in preparation for a major shutdown later in the year, where we don't want to be fighting with stuck bolts.

On the use of a torch - yes, we have a gas axe. Snag is that the bolts are flange bolts on piping containing crude oil and gas. The nice thing about a nut splitter is that it's cold work. Previously, we've been using hand hacksaws between the flanges.

I'm trying not to burn the platform down :-)

Thanks,

Ian

moldmonkey
01-29-2008, 12:22 AM
Makes sense now. These ENERPAC NUT SPLITTER (http://www.enerpac.com/Main_Navigation/products/industrial_tools/home.htm)S with a hand pump would take some of the labor and time out of it.

Edit: The link doesn't go straight there, click on the bolting tools picture and nut splitters are on the chart.

Your Old Dog
01-29-2008, 07:16 AM
I've split nuts with a Dremel and thin slitting blade.
jims

ditto that........ You'd be done by now :D

moldmonkey
01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Ian B

I realized that you had said you need an open style after posting the link.
However I would think that they have something that would fit your needs. Especially from what sounds like a common enough job in a large industry that has a "git 'er done" attitude.