PDA

View Full Version : Score!

hornluv
01-28-2008, 12:38 PM
This doesn't match most of the nice finds that have been posted here before, but it's a personal best. They opened a new Harbor Freight in my town and they had mislabeled this grinder pedestal:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search

I got it for $23.99 instead of $46.99. Needless to say, I left there grinning. Now I just need to get one of the carbide grinders to put on it.

Stuart

edit: The link doesn't seem to work, but the item number is 7240-0VGA

ptjw7uk
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
All you need is a half decent grinner(grinder) and your set!!

Nice one!
Peter

Frank Ford
01-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Hmm, It seems to me you'd have something to brag about if you'd informed the store that they'd made an error, and then paid the correct price.

Knowingly taking advantage of this kind of pricing error is just about the same as accepting an extra $20 bill in your change, don't you think?

IOWOLF
01-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Frank, I think so also.

Way to Go, Stuart. I would have done the same, without Blinking.

Just Too many Hypocrites in the world.:)

hornluv
01-28-2008, 03:18 PM
I did tell the store manager. He had to go get the stand from the back and I pointed out that the two stands on display, a cheap one and the one I got, were labeled with the same product code, specs, and price despite their obvious differences. He brought out the one I wanted and I asked him how much it was and he said he'd give it to me for the price on the label.

rotate
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I don't see anything morally reprehensible about this, espeically if the manager was involved in setting the price. It's a very different scenario than getting extra $20 from your change since in that case only one party is aware of the mistake.

If the transaction is done without any cover of deceit or misrepresentation, then I don't see anything unethical about it.

ptjw7uk
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
In the Uk if its labelled wrong its the shop that looses, I think thats why most items are not priced just bar coded so if the price rises then all the items with that bar code get the increase. I can remember looking through items for ones with an old price tag on them and getting it at that price.
As I see it if they employ cheap staff then its their cheap sket ways that loose them the money after all in this world you useually ony get what you pay for!!

Peter

Alistair Hosie
01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm with Frank Honesty has always paid for me thus far.Alistair

IOWOLF
01-28-2008, 04:18 PM
SO, Where was the Dishonesty here?

matador
01-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't know about US laws,but here in NZ,the shop is required to sell you the item at the advertised price.This includes the price marked on shelf or stand in the shop,mistake or not.
Stuart did the decent thing and advised the manager of his mistake.Therefore there was no dishonesty involved.
Good spotting,Stuart.

Weston Bye
01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
SO, Where was the Dishonesty here?

There wasn't any - after all the facts were known.

Even admitting to dishonest inclinations:

...I would have done the same, without Blinking....
was honest.

IOWOLF
01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Well now you know my TRUE nature.;)

menace
01-28-2008, 06:52 PM
If you saw the canteen carrying, pocket protector dwerbs who work the HF near where I live, I bet if I gave the extra money and left the store , they'd somehow manage to do a return/repurchase/refund without my knowledge, and pocket the money!

Good show hornluv! At least you were honest about it!

pntrbl
01-28-2008, 07:12 PM
SIL and I were in the HF yesterday because they had magnetic right angles on sale for 98 cents. Out of stock as usual so the manager offered us bigger ones for the same price. Then she thought she'd better check and couldn't do it. But she did let us have 'em for a buck and a half. Bought all 8. Now they don't have any!

My local store is horrible for stock. I got a carbide grinder locked in at the $129 price lazlo posted a link to a few days ago but who knows when I'll get it .....

SP

Doc Nickel
01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Many years ago, my boss' wife was at a Costco getting some minor items. Being a computer person, she wandered by the electronics section, and noticed that they had a Compaq laptop listed at $899.

Now, this was back in the early-mid ninties, when the absolute cheapest laptop anywhere- which this wasn't one of them- was $1,700.

Mrs. Boss, knowing her computers, knew this was a $2,200 laptop, so she asked one of the "sales associates". Said counterperson knew the computers were on sale, and figured somebody made a typo, where they should have been $1,899, not just $899.

Mrs. Boss asked, almost jokingly, if they'd sell it to her at that price. The clerk said, in perfect seriousness, that they were told to sell an item for what the computer rang it up as, or if the shelf tag and the computer didn't match, to sell it for whichever was lower.

They checked the (register) computer and sure enough, it was "officially" listed at $899, and they had two in stock.

She bought both. :D

Not quite as nice, but later I was in a small non-chain "warehouse" store, and in their tool section was a 24" import Crescent wrench. Two feet long and about 25 pounds.

The tag said $24.95.

I figured it was another typo, but since I had an occasional need for a big wrench (40mm axle nuts on my 4wheeler) it couldn't hurt to ask. Again, the clerk said it was probably a typo, but they'd been told to sell it according to whatever the computer rang it up as, or what was on the shelf tag, whichever was lower.

Both the computer and the tag read $24.95, so I bought it. It's been very handy over the years. :D

Doc.

loose nut
01-28-2008, 08:01 PM
I had the same thing happen, but with a new 13" lathe. I brought the mistake to the attention of the salesman and he told me I was wrong, so I took the lathe and saved several hundred dollars and do not have a guilty conscience. I tried to do the right thing and they lost.

darryl
01-28-2008, 11:03 PM
I bought an lcd monitor the other day for $25. List price on it was $1,099.95. The storeperson felt markered the price on the box right in front of my eyes, and said this is on the condition that he never sees it again. Fine by me- it had no cord, no remote, no manual and no a-v switching module. I cut the plug off, sorted out the wires and hardwired it. Works fine, it's actually the nicest portable monitor I've seen. I'd say that was a pretty good deal for a risk of a quarter hun. Got two new $100 rechargeable lithium batteries that will run it for $1.

Frank Ford
01-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Innersting, dontcha think, when we hear so many folks crabbing about the "lack of morality of the younger generation?" Here we have people bragging on how they "outsmarted" the store on mistakenly priced, (even a couple of grand, which, as I see in the "big picture" as rather trivial) things.

Just because you find low-level minion who will agree to sell you something at a mis-marked price doesn't grant you any special "moral authority."

Hey, I ain't no saint, and I've made a few "scores" like that, but I'll be switched if I'll brag about them, and I'll do my best not to do that kind of low level larceny again. I hope I've outgrown that kind of thing. Jeez, if I haven't (I'm about to crack 64) then there's precious little time. .

Doc Nickel
01-29-2008, 01:28 AM
As far as I can tell, Mr. Ford, at least in the two cases I mentioned, it was store policy- meaning they (the store) knew they messed up, but as a gesture of goodwill, or good PR, or just plain good salesmanship, they honored the price as given.

It's not convincing a "low level flunky"; in both cases it was store policy. The "flunky" was doing what the store owners/managers told him or her to do.

The same goes for the mispriced stand; the fact is, if it was on sale, it was either with a reduced (but still existent) profit margin (which means the store still made a profit) or was listed below cost as a "loss leader".

Sales are almost universally done to generate sales. Selling more items for less is usually a win for both the store and customer, and even selling below cost as a "loss leader" is calculated to generate more sales on non-sale-priced items to offset the cost of the sale items.

Yes, in the case of the computer, the store took a significant hit of a couple of thousand dollars. On the other hand, Mrs. Boss made it a point to do much of her bulk shopping there for quite a while afterward.

In my case, I made it a point to swing by that store's tool department more often. Not necessarily in hopes of getting another "deal", but they had a decent selection of tools, and it happened to be one of the first places I'd think of when I needed more inexpensive sockets or another case of shop towels.

It is, as far as I can see, in no way dishonest, or even slightly immoral, if the seller agrees to accept the given price. No one forced any of the dealers in this thread to sell them a computer or grinder stand or lathe at under their asking cost.

Doc.

IOWOLF
01-29-2008, 07:01 AM
Well said Doc.

Your Old Dog
01-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Just for the record:

If you go into a Harbor Freight store to by a Gizmo and it's marked 29.98, that's what you pay.

On the other hand:
If you go into a Harbor Freight store to by a Gizmo and it's marked 29.98, that's what you pay UNLESS you tell them it's on sale in the catalog and then they match the price. If you say nothing, they volunteer no sale info to you.

Nice find Stuart, hope you enjoy it.

Frank Ford
01-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Please don't misunderstand - I'm only referring to those who "take advantage" of errors in the shop, uninformed employees, etc.

Sales and store policy are just that - store policy, and choices made by the store.

I make 100% of my income from a local retail business, so naturally, this topic is a bit close to me. Our shop delivers a very high level of customer service, and enjoys a good deal of customer loyalty and support. From time to time, a customer points out a pricing error, and we really appreciate it.

For what it's worth, when I go to a shop or order online I try to remember that by patronizing a business I'm voting in favor of its survival. That's why you won't see me at WalMart or Starbucks. . .

rotate
01-29-2008, 11:51 AM
If you say nothing, they volunteer no sale info to you.

I call my cable internet provider who I've been with at least 10 years. I felt that their price was no longer competative and told them so. Without any argument, they said they'll lower the price by 20% to keep me. WTF, does this mean that unless you threaten to leave you don't get any discount! Being a loyal customer doesn't mean anything anymore. I've heard similar stories with cellphone plans.

It's just not my style to barter, but I can't help but feeling that businesses are resorting to the old carpet store in the souk tactic, different price for each customer.

wirewrkr
01-29-2008, 12:03 PM
According to a person at HF phone center, ( a manager who happenned to be taking phone orders the other day), a HF store is not required to honor catalog or flyer prices if the flyer did not come from thier store. MOST of them do, they're not stupid, but they don't have to.
So, on this particular day I asked about the motorcycle 1,000 lb lift/table that was on sale in my flyer from 399. down to 299. they had them in stock, would deliver them for another 61. bucks.
not bad.
I called the store which is 35 miles away in Salinas and asked them if they had it in stock and would they honor the mailer price.
Yes and it was ON SALE in their store for $286.00
so for $10.00 worth of gas I went over and picked it up.
I don't know how the main warehouse could have shipped that 400lb lift for $61.00.
Almost bought one of thise bit grinders that are on sale for $129.00, but being unemployed right now, couldn't justify it.
Robert

camdigger
01-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Frank
I understand what you say, but... Hereabouts, in Western Canuckland, it is LEGISLATED that the consumer gets the lower price either from the cash register or the price tag. Giving the buyer the lower price after it is made known is not store policy here - it is law. It is the retailers' legal responsibility to correctly price their merchandise.

My $.02 cdn
Cam

Pete H
01-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Several points wrt this very interesting thread:

I can speak only for NY and NJ, but in those two states at least, a store is required by law to sell a product for the marked price - whether it's on the item itself, in a sale-flyer, or even on the shelf-display. Anything else is considered deceptive advertising, a.k.a. "bait-and-switch". Some of the big chain groceries have a policy that, if the price comes up wrong, you get the item for free.

That doesn't mean they won't try to weasel out of it - I've had a grocery clerk spend 15 minutes trying to convince me that a $3 item I had wasn't the identically-pictured-and-named one in a sale flyer - but if you stand firm, the law is on your side.

I never before heard that HF stores only had to honor the specific store's flyer prices; I thought the flyers all came out of some big printhouse in the sky. I notice, though, that some of them have special coupons and offers, so maybe they tailor them.

I DO know from experience that you have to watch like a hawk while you're being rung up at HF. The sale prices in the flyers (and sometimes even the prices on the shelves) often are not in the barcode computers. However, they've always honored those lower prices, and one time, the manager at the HF I use - Rochelle Park, NJ - actually pointed out a better bargain to me.

The hypothetical of the extra $20 change is a totally different ethical issue, because the "makeup" will come out of the clerk's pocket. But if a store's accounting system says that a $100 item should cost $80, the error is the store's, and such things are included in the CODB; my earlier comment about legal requirements aside.

I must say, though, it's a lot easier to accept an error in one's own favor when it comes from a big anonymous mass-marketer, than from the mom-and-pop where you buy your morning coffee.

Pete

IOWOLF
01-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Hell, I would Barter for Gas and groceries if I could.:o