PDA

View Full Version : Catepillar factory "tour"

JimH
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
Tonight on the National geographic channel, they will be showing:
Ultimate Factories: "Caterpillar" and "Winnebago"
TONIGHT at 8P et/pt

I haven't seen it, but the ad says it will show how their largest front end loader (797B) is made at 6 different factories. Also the Winnebago, mega-RV.

Jim

dilligaf
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
a few years ago Cat had a family day in Peoria Illinois and my uncle works there and asked if i would like to go. Cat got us on busses and took us to several different factories around the area and gave us tours and showed us different things it was very interesting and fun.

jason

ProGunOne
01-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Been past there several times, not too far from me (Peoria) at all. I've been to the plant in Montgomery, Illinois many years ago.

hornluv
01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
The industrial technology teacher at the local community college is a big fan of Cat and takes his students on a tour of their facility in Decatur, IL whenever he can. Among other things, they make the various huge dump trucks used in mines there. Here's a favorite video from his class:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8060846512836282435&q=caterpillar+rover&total=103&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

smiller6912
01-28-2008, 07:18 PM
If they show the acoustical enclosure around the test chamber, ...... I built that. OK my company built it.................
The dang thing is huge. The front doors are 5' wide and 3 stories high, each.
Fun job.

Mcgyver
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
i went through the old one here once, pits you could fit a small house into. wood block floor. heavy heavy heavy.

dilligaf
01-28-2008, 07:49 PM
i now install all of the audio visual in the conference rooms in the deactur plant down there all the time

Nick Carter
01-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Just a reminder, I post most good tool/shop/work related TV shows that are on every night here:
http://toolmonger.com/category/tvmedia/

Mythbusters, Ultimate Factories, How It's Made, etc. I also note which shows are new, as opposed to reruns (if I can, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to find good TV schedule info) I have to post woodworking, home type shows as well, but don't hold that against me...

Nick

hornluv
01-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey Nick,

That's a great editorial on Billy Mays. And oh so true.

Stuart

Nick Carter
01-29-2008, 03:16 PM
That was written by another of the blog authors, but it sure was a great little analysis...

Hey Nick,

That's a great editorial on Billy Mays. And oh so true.

Stuart

mlucek
01-29-2008, 04:50 PM
There's a couple of new shows on Discovery channel :

Smash Lab
Some Assembly Required

I think Smash Lab seems derived from MythBusters - which loves to explode and destroy things. 1st show I watched (concrete barriers ...) was ok. The show hosts seem kinda dull and maybe need to find their stride. Unlike Mythbusters were you have 2 main hosts with very different personalities which keeps things entertaining & interesting.

Some Assembly was a bit dry too .... kinda of a long version of How It's Made (which is a bit dry too, but still interesting and pun-ful :p) Some Assembly even showed making of some of the same things.

We'll see how those shows turn out, I'll stay tuned for a while yet, give them a chance !

How It's Made did a recent episode making a trumpet. That was quite fascinating from a machining point of view - metal cutting, forming, brazing, drawing, bending (with ice inside the tube to prevent the metal deforming) and spinning ! Also like the episode on cymbal making - lots of metal spinning there too. Been watching that show for the last 2 years - very cool !!

DICKEYBIRD
01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
If any of you fellers missed the Cat/Winnebago show, you need to look up and see when it comes back on and don't miss it this time.

It was a fantastic show with tons of casting, machining, welding, fabrication, painting, etc. The process of pouring those huge Cat chassis castings and then machining the joints for welding them together was a real eye-opener for me. They showed machining and assembling the giant engines too. Those big mining dump trucks are truly awesome.

The Winnebago segment was good too with CNC routing, plastics vacu-forming & roto-molding, fiberglass work, etc. I was shocked to see 2 or 3 people painting on a big RV in shirtsleeves, some with no masks on. When they sprayed on the clear urethane topcoats though, full suits and masks were used.

Nick Carter
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Smash Lab seems contrived, and my wife was commenting about the female host showing her belly while the male hosts were dressed fairly conservatively. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Some Assembly Required is covering a lot of factories already visited by John Ratzenberger in Made in America, but it is an hour of factories, so that's fine with me. I wish MIA wasn't MIA...

On the Speed Channel they have Street Tuner Challenege, which shows a lot of engine machining setups as well as fab work.

It is, for us, close to a golden age (or at least a brass age) of TV, remember when all that was on was "Junkyard Wars"? Now there is usually at least one show worth watching every night.

There's a couple of new shows on Discovery channel :

Smash Lab
Some Assembly Required

HTRN
01-30-2008, 01:16 AM
my wife was commenting about the female host showing her belly while the male hosts were dressed fairly conservatively. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

That's because women aren't the target audience.:D

HTRN

mlucek
01-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Some Assembly Required is so much like How It's Done .... dunno if it'll survive ?? Same show on steroids with a mix of Dirty Jobs thrown in for good measure.

Smash Lab seems contrived,.... Yeah, kind of agree on that for now, riding the coattails of Mythbusters (love that show !!) Let's crash/blow something up and add in some so-so hosts and see what happens.

DANG :( I don't get National Geographic channel, so can't see the Ulitmate Factories show .... hmmm, maybe I can find the show on the net somewhere and download it ??

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ultimatefactories/

Mike

Nick Carter
01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm also enjoying the Outdoor Channel's Wednesday Night at the Range programming block, Guns and Ammo TV usually does a Mythbusters like torture test (last week they fired a .45 in a swimming pool to see if it would bulge the barrel), and there are usually a few shop/factory visits (Shooting Gallery had a segment showing a revolver being rechambered on a Bridgeport) and some gunsmithing fun. Plus lots of typical shooting stuff.

Nat Geo really doesn't have a lot worth watching, and they will rerun ultimate factories for the next couple of years. Netflix has DVDs of some Ultimate Factories episodes.

Oh and there haven't been any new eps lately, but "Tank Overhaul" on the Military Channel is pretty cool.

I'm glad I have the blogging as an excuse to watch TV.

aboard_epsilon
01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
type megastructures into emule

that brings all of them up ...bar caterpillar one ...

mininova gets them to you quicker via the torrents

still no caterpillar though.

all the best.markj