PDA

View Full Version : OT: Gold plating question

mochinist
01-28-2008, 08:09 PM
So when I picked up the kids today we were listening to the radio and they were advertising 24k gold dipped roses for Valentines day and the kid asked me how they dipped the rose in the melted gold with out burning it...umm I don't know, good question kid.:confused: I looked up the melting point of gold and it is a little above 1900f, so I'm guessing they must dip the rose in something else to protect it?

rotate
01-28-2008, 08:22 PM
sprayed with conductive paint, and then it's gold plated at room temperature. It's similar to the process used to bronze baby shoes.

mochinist
01-28-2008, 08:27 PM
sprayed with conductive paint, and then it's gold plated at room temperature. It's similar to the process used to bronze baby shoes.So when they say dipped they arent being honest?

Joel
01-28-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, they are dipped in a solution containing gold, so I guess they are perhaps stretching things a bit.

mochinist
01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, they are dipped in a solution containing gold, so I guess they are perhaps stretching things a bit.Ok makes sense,kinda like the chroming process?

Joel
01-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes, they are both electroplating processes.

I hear that the Caswell site has lots of good information. I see they have manuals and videos free for the download:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/

I suppose that saying the rose is 'dipped in gold' makes it sound more mysterious and complex, thus delivering a higher perceived value. As always, its all about the marketing...

mochinist
01-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Yes, they are both electroplating processes.

I hear that the Caswell site has lots of good information. I see they have manuals and videos free for the download:
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/

I suppose that saying the rose is 'dipped in gold' makes it sound more mysterious and complex, thus delivering a higher perceived value. As always, its all about the marketing...Thanks, yeah I have seen those kits, I guess the dipped is what threw me. As for the value as advertised, 1 long stem rose dipped in 24k gold, $59.00...she'll love you forever or some bs.:D

rantbot
01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
The ad didn't say it was dipped in melted gold. It could be gold powder in a resin. That wouldn't look too hot, but it all looks the same over the radio.

There was a process popular a couple of years ago for "plating" metals on all sorts of inappropriate substrates, like wood. My guess would be vacuum vapor deposition. I don't see that advertised much nowadays, as I suspect that the layer doesn't adhere for very long, and soon starts to look like hell.

BillB
01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
Simplest way to plate an organic item like a rose is to paint it with conductive copper paint & then electroplate over that. No need for fancy stuff like vapor deposition, although "soon starts to look like hell" is probably apt once it's been flexed a little. You can bet that's an extremely thin flash plating.

BillB