PDA

View Full Version : 16"disk and six inch belt sander ??

Alistair Hosie
01-30-2008, 01:15 PM
I have in my wood shop a 16" disc and a six inch by 49"belt sander I switch it on the both depend on each other so they both come on at the same time.Trouble seems to be I need to set the tracking on the belt which tracks quite easily then it runs fine.When I switch it off and then on again it needs tracking agin.I have a similar set up in my machine shop, which once set remains set .Why do I need to keep tracking this one every time I switch it on.I know it's only a little bit of fumbling with the knobs then it's fine but why???Alistair

lynnl
01-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Good question. Every belt sander I've ever met (only 3 or 4 actually) displayed the same temperamental behavior. Aggravating!

May be a function of belt quality. May be that the belt develops a 'set' while stationary for extended period, and then characteristics change once it starts running and warms up. May just be gremlins! But it is a nuisance, for sure.

ptjw7uk
01-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I thought one of the rollers should be barrel shaped to stop the belt wandering.
Perhaps the bearings in one of the rollers is a bit suspect.

Peter

sconisbee
01-30-2008, 01:58 PM
is one side of the tracking mechanism sprung loaded? like the types with a quick release belt changer? if so it maybe "stretching" that one side a tiny bit while turned off. probably not that tho

Your Old Dog
01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
is one side of the tracking mechanism sprung loaded? like the types with a quick release belt changer? if so it maybe "stretching" that one side a tiny bit while turned off. probably not that tho

I'd be surprised if that doesn't turn out to be the answer.

lynnl
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I have a Sears 6x48" belt/disk sander, and the tracking adjustment is simply an eccentric cam at each end of the tracking roller, and clamping bolts to lock the eccentrics. No spring involved.

Alistair Hosie
01-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I'll check tomorrow to see if it's sprung loaded see J C Hannun for die filer files Alistair

Ed Tipton
01-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Try putting one or two rubber bands around the pullies. Wrapping some masking tape around the pulley does the same thing which simply makes it harder for the belt to "slide" to the side.:)