PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Details for a lathe

heidad01
01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi All,
I have been thinking about ordering a new lathe (likely a Lathe Master 9x30)and have even got started ordering it twice, but backed out because of unclear shipping details. They have a flat rate delivery within the 48 states which is o.k. Here is the catch: (quote from their site)

"NOTE: Shipping will be to your local truck dock for pick up or will be delivered at no extra cost to a commercial address.
For residential delivery you will have to make arraignments locally when the trucking calls you at arrival."

I know this sounds very stupid, but I have never had to ship or receive this way. I live in Los Angeles, and on the west side to be more specific, can some one explain to me where my "local truck dock" is considered to be?
I need the lathe delivered to my house and do not need to hear from the trucking company upon arrival that it costs another $1000 to a residential address. DO not get me wrong, I am not trying to scrape the bottom for low shipping costs. I just do not want to be told that you should have asked before ordering. Any explanation is appreciated and will certainly add to my knowledge of truck shipping. DavidH

rollin45
01-30-2008, 08:09 PM
I bought a machine with similar shipping. I went ahead and ordered the machine and the confirmation of the order indicated which trucking company would handle the freight. I then had to find the local freight dock for that trucking company.

Once my machine was delivered to the "local " freight dock, I drove down and they loaded it into my pickup, which I then brought home. I suspect you could make arrangements to do the same, or you could hire another "local" trucking outfit, to make the final delivery to your house.

The original trucking company which handled my order didn't do residential deliveries, so unless I wanted to hire another outfit to make the final delivery, I had to pick the item up myself. In my situation that wasn't a problem.

I would think you could call the vendor of the lathe, tell them where you want it shipped, and they could tell you the freight company they use for deliveries in that part of the country. You could then make the local inquiries as to how to get it to your door.

hth
rollin'

deltaenterprizes
01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
Call a local tow truck service and see what they will charge to have a roll back truck pickup it and deliver it from your local truck dock to your house or rent a trailer from U haul.

Bill Pace
01-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Delivery to a "local freight dock" is quite common and is, in fact, not a bad deal with a relatively small piece of machinery like the 9x30. As mentioned you will be told which
frt
company, you just look in the yellow pages, get the address and you and a couple buddies (maybe just 2 of you if
youre
hefty) drive over and slide it in a (even small) pickup, and take it home. You eliminate one step of another truck possibly dropping your lathe, can go pick it up at your convenience and you
arent
dependant on their time schedule (which is always wrong) and quite possibly a charge for "home delivery".

You get up into the 1500-3000 lb mills & lathes and
thats
another story...

(spell checker left the contractions highlighted for some reason??)

lazlo
01-30-2008, 09:58 PM
Delivery to a "local freight dock" is quite common and is, in fact, not a bad deal with a relatively small piece of machinery like the 9x30.

I did that with my Clausing -- Joe Bergamo (Plaza Machinery) shipped it to a local Yellow loading dock, and I hired a flat-bed tow truck to deliver it the final 10 miles.

Unfortunately, it adds a lot to the shipping cost -- I had to pay $140 for the towing service, and they made me sign a hold-harmless insurance waiver. In other words, if the lathe fell off the tow truck, or was otherwise damaged in shipping or delivering, it was out of my pocket.

If I had to do it again, I'd just drive to the freight dock with a pickup truck. The loading dock will fork-lift the crate/pallet onto a truck for free, so you just have to handle the rigging to get the lathe out of the pickup truck. For a little 9x30 that's easy.

KiloBravo
01-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Call Bob at Lathemaster he will tell you where it will ship.

I picked up my RF45 mill (800 lbs.) at the local dock. It was an adventure to
get it to my house in my buddies Ford Ranger. The forklift on the dock kind of scooted it into the bed of the Ranger.

It was only 20 miles, but I was more nervous than when I drove my wife to the hospital when she gave birth to our son ! :)

Regards,
Kevin

smiller6912
01-30-2008, 10:26 PM
This is normal as most truckers don't unload. I had my Smithy G1324 delivered to my work (no additional charge to a commercial address) and two friends with a pickup and I with a 2 ton engine hoist got it to my house and set in place with no problems. You should as easily be able to pick it up at the local dock, they have the fork trucks and stuff to handle and load it onto your truck. I highly recommend borrowing or renting a portable engine hoist, it will make your life much easier.

mechanicalmagic
01-30-2008, 11:13 PM
My Griz 12x36 was sent to the Yellow terminal, about 20 miles away. They loaded my pu, and I unloaded with a HF shop crane. All went well.

I think this is standard procedure for shipping to a residence. Almost nobody will tailgate machinery.
Dave

Fred_M
01-30-2008, 11:25 PM
I got a Grizzly lathe via Fedx Freight. They would deliver it to my house but,
I had to supply the equipment and manpower to get it off their truck.
So I went to their dock and they forklifted it onto my pickup. I used a cheep
engine hoist to get in the shop. The local Pep-boys now advertise their
engine hoist as a "shop crane". If you know which shipper will be used, call and ask about delivery policies. Good luck. - Fred_M

RetiredFAE
01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
When I ordered my Birmingham 14x40 lathe and 9x49 VS Mill from Machine Tools Direct of Las Vegas, NV a couple of years go, they arranged for the trucking company to deliver it from their warehouse in CA to my home in Pahrump, they (the owner of MTD and his son) met it at my home, brought a forklift with them, unloaded both machines into my shop and then spent the next 8 hours installing, wiring up, leveling and testing both machines. All that, for an additional cost of $300 on top of the cost of the machines. The shipping was (or would have been ) free if I had elected to have it delivered to a freight dock, but we don't have one here in Pahrump, and I wasn't interested in driving the 150 mile (round trip) to the dock in Vegas with a rental truck big enough to haul them both home in one trip, and then renting a fork lift here when I got them home (fork lift rental here is $130 for 3 hours, $200 if you want the lift delivered to your location) so in the end, it was a real bargain for me. I'm north of 50, closing in on 60, and I haven't encountered service like that since I was a kid.

gr8life
01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
I have 3 lathemaster tools in my little shop, 3 different trucking companies and the most any one of them charged me was $45 for liftgate service. All three machines were rolled into my shop just where I wanted them. Rented an engine hoist for $35 and set them up. Go for it.

heidad01
01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice, Information and words of encouragement. I will order it as soon as I can get a spot cleared up to place the lathe. DavidH.

tmarks11
01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
I prefer to pick up heavy machinery at the freight terminal... even if it means an hour drive each way. I believe that the majority of shipping damage to machinery happens between the freight terminal and your house, when the heavy chunk of cast iron machinery is sliding around and tipping over unrestrained in an empty truck. Plus, not having to wait during the day in a "four hour delivery" window is another plus.

The shipping company will give you a call to arrange delivery, and you can find out where the terminal is and tell them that you will pick it up there. Of course, getting it from your truck to the shop is a whole different adventure... that is why I have a CUT with forklift attachment...

Willy
01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
(spell checker left the contractions highlighted for some reason??)

Bill I believe what happened is that you forgot to use apostrophes in your contractions so the spell checker highlighted those as mistakes.

I'm afraid we're go to have to dock you a day's pay.:D