PDA

View Full Version : Build this. Personal helicopter

KiddZimaHater
01-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Check out this guy.
The "HEAD-copter"?
I should make one of these, and avoid rush-hour traffic. :)
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6b2_1201784970&p=1

sconisbee
01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
go go gadget copter! (hrm was inspector gadget just a brit thing?):D

looks kinda fun!

GKman
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
It's amazing (or maybe it's not) how many homebuilt gyrocopters and helicoptors run through Ebay that are about 99% finished but never flown.

wierdscience
01-31-2008, 09:42 PM
And when you get home you can chunck cabbages in it and make cole slaw:D

lazlo
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Wow, it really is the Inspector Gadget 'Copter! :) Didn't flip out of the guy's hat though... :p

Man, that looks like a Darwin Award about to happen...

tmarks11
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
That has got to be one of the deadliest toys I have ever seen. Hopefully the guy wears a parachute... not that it will help him much. I wonder how many test flights he will make before he breaks a leg? Or looses one. That guy definitely has a brass pair... one of those little jumps looks like he went a 20' high or so.

Where can I get one of those...

2ManyHobbies
01-31-2008, 11:23 PM
Man, as soon as he can haul a pair of 500 lb. anvils and talk on a cell phone at the same time, this is ready for commuter use!

That is truly awesome though. I wonder if he could auto-rotate or anything if he lost power at any reasonable altitude. Probably requires more blade length for that, but then it wouldn't look like you could stuff it in a suitcase.

dfw5914
02-01-2008, 01:08 AM
It's amazing (or maybe it's not) how many homebuilt gyrocopters and helicoptors run through Ebay that are about 99% finished but never flown.

Thats because they typically get wadded up into a pile of scrap on the first attempt at a test flight:D

Evan
02-01-2008, 03:16 AM
It won't autorotate if it loses power. Those blades aren't pitch controllable and to autorotate you have to pitch the blades down. That machine is flown by the throttle so if the power quits it will drop like a rock. I am surprised at the power to weight ratio of that thing. It looks like it has plenty of extra power and could head up and out of ground effect at a good rate. Most such flying machines are usually dogs because they just cant muster enough thrust.

The US military investigated a turbine powered one man flying machine that you stood in about the size of the lower half of a phone booth with a stability augmentation system and a range of about one hour at 60 mph. They decided to scrap the idea when it was pointed out that it would be about impossible to sneak about in it and would make a very high profile and soft target.

lwbates
02-01-2008, 03:31 AM
kzh,
I don't think I'd want that salomi chopper that close to my head. The first time you lose control of it, the blades will hit something and turn into shrapnel about 18" from your gourd. And when that engine sputters, your going down like a rock, with no parachute.
lwbates

IOWOLF
02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
If you put rings around the Blades like the little in house R/C mini choppers it would be safer, or a cage like the Para sail engines.

mwechtal
02-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi, I've been lurking here for some time, but I had to comment on this thread. A friend of mine that flew Jolly Greens in Nam, and was on one of the Apollo recovery teams told me this.

Most people don't look at it this way, but most helicopters are held up by one shaft, and one thrust bearing. Oh, they're oversized, inspected carefully at the factory, and they have a short inspection interval etc., but it's one shaft and one bearing. Gives me the Heebie Jeebies.

Now this one looks like it has counter rotating coaxial shafts, but I'm sure the failure of either would be a bad thing.

Mike