PDA

View Full Version : Boring and facing heads

sconisbee
01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
I've been trying to get my head around these things for ages, i have no need for one i dont think but i just dont really get how the automatic facing heads work so anyone like to enlighten me as to how they work and how radial feed is achieved in a constant repeatable mannar?

So how do they work?

JCHannum
01-31-2008, 10:54 PM
This is my 95% complete MLA Boring & Facing Head. The micrometer feed needs to be graduated and the orange peel paint job needs to be repaired.

http://members.aol.com/jchannum/mla

The large knurled ring on the top of the body is free to rotate. It has a detent pointing toward the mill table. The feed screw has a ten point star wheel. In feed mode, the ring is held stationary, and on each revolution the detent trips the starwheel 1/10 revolution advancing the head.

Most commercial units work on some variation of this theme.

sconisbee
02-01-2008, 02:45 PM
ahhh thankyou! its easy when its explained!, wonderfull work by the way! how do you like the MLA head? i assume you hold the knurled portion by hand while facing?

BobWarfield
02-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Here's a video of Widgitmaster running a Walhaupter Boring and Facing head to cut an internal snap ring groove:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-137132256811225299&q=widgitmaster+boring&total=3&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Best,

BW

JCHannum
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
The knurled ring is held by hand on the MLA, most commercial units use a stabilizer bar to hold the ring. One could easily be incorporated in the MLa as well.

The MLA head was an easy build. As most of the MLA kits, the castings are excellent and instructions are clearly written. While I installed a R-8 spindle to use on my mill, it was originally designed for use on a lathe, the body is threaded 1-1/2-8TPI. It works well, but I have not used it as yet except to try it out.

sconisbee
02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Here's a video of Widgitmaster running a Walhaupter Boring and Facing head to cut an internal snap ring groove:

oh man i want one!! the Wohlhaupter's are the realllly expensive ones right?

Might just have to aquire a facing head at some point!

BobWarfield
02-01-2008, 05:39 PM
oh man i want one!! the Wohlhaupter's are the realllly expensive ones right?

Might just have to aquire a facing head at some point!

I have a Wohlhaupter. Narex is another extremely well regarded brand for these. Tree also made a fascinating head that can automatically taper a bore.

There's been just one problem for me: the Wohlhaupter is such a fine piece of tooling I haven't had the nerve to fire it up yet!

Cheers,

BW

Peter N
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Those Wohlhaupters are rather nice aren't they? Need a small mortgage to get one though.

Enco used to have what I believe was a French made boring and facing head in their catalogue. It seems to have been dropped from this years (just had a look and it's not there).
I got pointed in the direction of one of these on e-bay UK, and picked up what turned out to be a very nice tool indeed, for the less-than-princely sum of 35.

When I empty the CF card I'll try to take a photo and post it, as it is well worth looking out for one. In the meantime if anyone else has a pic then perhaps you could put it up for reference.

Peter

IOWOLF
02-01-2008, 07:11 PM
If anyone is up to a challenge, I have a print for a simple one I had one of my students draw. It is in PDF format.

Email me for it as this site doesn't have a plans and prints area.

sconisbee
02-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I'd be interested to see the plan, but not quite yet, cause i want to see if i can get my head around the internal workings and desgin my own before i see inside one. that and i have far too many projects already:rolleyes:

lazlo
02-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Those Wohlhaupters are rather nice aren't they? Need a small mortgage to get one though.

Ain't that the truth! The Narex copies (from Czechoslovakia) are supposedly pretty nice, and I've read several times on PM that the Nikken (Japanese) copy is even nicer than the Wohlhaupter.

I have the Tree automatic boring head that Bob mentioned - it's really slick! The autofeed is in tenths, and if you want to bore a taper, you swivel a dovetail slide, and it autofeeds in along that angle. Amazing craftsmanship!

Enco used to have what I believe was a French made boring and facing head in their catalogue.

That's the Gamet boring head. There are two versions, the later model has the automatic feed stops like the Wohlhaupter.

sconisbee
02-02-2008, 08:19 AM
I was checking out the Narex ones at J&L earlier, real nice looking heads, but still slightly out of my price range for a tool i dont really need at 935 for the small set:eek:

Peter what was the name of the french made head?

John Stevenson
02-02-2008, 08:30 AM
One to look for is Kaiser, none on Ebay UK at the moment but they never fetch much money as they have a special taper.
You then have to make a sleeve to fit as they hardly ever have one.

I have two of these, the smallest one was brand new and boxed and it made 49 on Ebay.

There's a Boneham and Turner one on Ebay.co.uk at the moment but it's sitting at 150 with a while to go.
Problem is with these is they are bulky as they have a 3 speed reversable gearbox inside so you can face out or in depending on the settings. They are quite rare but very well made, I think I paid 120 for mine but it was complete and believe it or not from a dealer.

Peter N
02-02-2008, 09:17 AM
Simon, the Enco/French boring & facing head is a Gamet as Robert kindly reminded me.

Picture follows. It's a wee bit scruffy, but then it is a working tool, and despite a few dings it seems to still operate very smoothly.
Only hand tested with a quick dry run held in the lathe at the moment as I need to make a new shank for it, as the current 1" shank on there needs to be replaced by R8.

Peter

http://www.onepoint6.co.uk/Newdocs/Gamet2.jpg

JCHannum
02-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Be very careful of the ENCO heads and make sure you can see Made in France marking on them. They did sell the French made Gamet, which is quite nice, but they also sold a made in India knockoff that looks just like a Gamet on the outside, but is typical made in India hand made, rat gnawed quality. I have had both.

Since making the MLA head, I have run across two Chandler Duplex and a mint Wolhaupter No.2, which is R-8 size. They all were resold for a tidy profit. The Chandler Duplex is another lesser known head which is very good quality and sells for a reasonable price.

Yet another is the Precision Universal Tool Head. This head has the knurled ring which is held stationary with a stabilizing rod. It can be set to tenths while rotating, no need to stop to set it. It is not a self feeder, but has a separate crank handle that can be used to hand feed while under power.

Ian B
02-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Yes, the Wohlhaupters are nice. Exceptionally nice! Everything's hardened, ground & polished, even the wooden box they come in. They turn up frequently on Ebay in Germany; www.ebay.de

Search for Wohlhaupter or Plan und Ausdrehkopf

I bought one for 350, 40 Int, boxed, all the extension bars & reducer sleeves, unmarked.

Gloat, gloat...

Ian

Timleech
02-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, the Wohlhaupters are nice. Exceptionally nice! Everything's hardened, ground & polished, even the wooden box they come in.

Ian

Hardened, ground & polished wooden box. That really is classy :rolleyes:

Sorry Ian ;)

Tim

John Stevenson
02-02-2008, 01:48 PM
Hardened, ground & polished wooden box. That really is classy :rolleyes:

Sorry Ian ;)

Tim

Never seen a wooden tin box ?

sconisbee
02-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Simon, the Enco/French boring & facing head is a Gamet as Robert kindly reminded me.

Doh! i missed that the first time around ok so somtimes it takes telling me twice before i notice:P it looks like a real nice head!

I bought one for 350, 40 Int, boxed, all the extension bars & reducer sleeves, unmarked.

IM not saying a thing! except its entirely possible i've turned green:P 40INT is the taper of my mill too! lol lucky g*t:D

John, thankyou i will keep an eye out for them, i dont really need one at the moment but its one of those things that is handy to have anyway:D