PDA

View Full Version : DIY toolpost grinder

2ManyHobbies
02-02-2008, 12:56 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96687

Happened across this looking for something else, and started wondering if it would be something that could easily be cannibalized for a toolpost grinder.

I'd have to see it in person to see if the blade would even clear the motor sans housing, but it looks like it could.

macona
02-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Dont expect too much from that. The quality of the bearings will be reflected in the finish. Just like a full size surface grinder or tool post grinder bearing quality is paramount.

I have had a couple shop built toolpost grinders and the finish was just so so even with fine grit wheels. I rebuilt one of my grinders to use one of the spindle cartridges from my tsugami tool grinder and the finish was much nicer.

I do like the looks of that sharpener for what it is. Could be nice to sharpen up some of my blades.

motomoron
02-03-2008, 01:25 AM
3800 rpm is ~way~ slow for a TP grinder. They're usually like 20k rpm or some such.

Anyone have any idea why they're always so freakin' expensive? I've been looking at eBay, sales and auctions for years and I can't find a half decent Dumore or Themac that's not $500.

BobWarfield
02-03-2008, 02:07 AM
Running at 20K ain't easy, especially not mass produced and able to survive industrial conditions. Hence they're costly. All high speed spindles seem fairly costly unless you can sell a whole ton of them. Routers are amazingly cheap when you consider how many rpm they turn, how sturdy they are, and so on.

Best,

BW

Oldbrock
02-03-2008, 03:40 AM
If you have a good lathe and you are going to use a toolpost grinder it won't be a good lathe for long so be warned. they are lathe destroyers.