PDA

View Full Version : Surface Grinders Right or Left Hand?

Spin Doctor
02-02-2008, 08:25 PM
It seems looking for a small SG that most of the ones on ebay and Craigslist have their hand traverse wheels on the left side of the cross slide casting. The Harigs I used at work were pretty much all right handed machines which seemed more natural as most people are right handed. I'm wondering, was there any sort of standard or was it just what ever the builder wanted to do? The few left hand machines were always a PITA to get used to.

Mcruff
02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
This would be a standard right hand drive Harig. Never used or seen one any different, if the ones you run are different they were special ordered. I've have worked in shops over the years that had up to 21 Harigs in them and never seen one different.
http://i12.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/a6/a9/7362_1.JPG
I have run one other grinder made backwards to this and it about killed me to run it.

Spin Doctor
02-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Ours were opposite. It seemed much more natural especially when doing plunge grinding.

Mcruff
02-02-2008, 08:47 PM
If yours were opposite that would be a left hand drive and not the norm. I used to run a grinder 10 hours a day for weeks on end and plunge grinding with a true right hand unit is much easier that way than the ones you used. You just got used to running them that way.

John Stevenson
02-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Don't know about grinders but it does seem as though lathes have a standard of some form.
British and European machines have their saddle wheel on the right and US machines on the left.
It doesn't always go that way, there are exceptions but some makers did go out of thier way to conform
Colchesters were one with the UK machines on the right and the Clausing's on the left.

Personally moving from machine to machine doesn't bother me, in fact I never noticed it until it was pointed out here a few years ago.

What I do notice is the left hand wheel machines puts your hand directly in line with hot chips off the chuck.

sconisbee
02-02-2008, 09:00 PM
What I do notice is the left hand wheel machines puts your hand directly in line with hot chips off the chuck.

Aint that the truth! got bronze burns all over my arm from yesterday:I gotta make me a hand shield!

As for grinders, i've not really payed much attention to traverse position. tho i would probably prefer right hand.

TGTool
02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
It always seemed natural to me to have the traverse wheel in my left hand because I'd be making movements, across or down, with my right.

KiddZimaHater
02-02-2008, 09:32 PM
That Harig picture seems to be the norm.
Table left & right feed operated by the left hand.
Downfeed & crossfeed operated by the right hand.
I worked in a tool & die shop with 15 grinders, and they were ALL setup this way.
However, my current place of employment has a bass-ackwards grinder.
Table feed right hand, Crossfeed & Downfeed lefthand. :confused:
i guess it depends on the manufacturer.

rwf71
02-02-2008, 10:36 PM
In the toolroom where I work we have a small (6X12 ?) Do-All surface grinder & the traverse wheel is quickly & easily moved from left to right or vise versa to suit the job or operator's personal taste. It has a spindle for the wheel on either side of machine & the wheel can be put on either one. I have a 6X12 Boyer Schultz in my home shop & the wheel is on the left. The first time I used the one at work it felt bass ackwards to me. I made that comment to the toolroom machinist & he walked over & moved the wheel to the other side in about 10 sec. DUH !! Was a new one on me but very handy once you find out it has that feature.:rolleyes:
Rick

HTRN
02-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Talk about a small world - Mcruffs grinder photo is from one of my friends ebay sales!:)

Your Old Dog
02-03-2008, 10:30 AM

I thought that's why the English still wore gauntlets?

Carld
02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
It never has bothered me which hand moved the table left and right. I seem to be ambedevilous, ahh ambedextor, umm able to use left or right hand to work, shoot a gun or to, ahh, well we won't go there.