PDA

View Full Version : Link belts, V-belts, and YOU!

tony ennis
02-03-2008, 12:08 AM
I've been looking at new belts for the lathe. I would like to put a link belt. When I look at v-belt specs, there are all sorts of variations which I suppose have something to do with the strength or pitch of the belts. Link-belts have none of these designations. They have a width and a height.

Is there something about link belts that makes then work in pulleys of the proper width?

pntrbl
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm using a 5/8" link belt on my 11" Logan that's right next to being to big. It binds on the headstock casting when switching pulleys but I've learned to pull it thru. Once it's back in the pulleys no rub so no problem.

So I thought I must have sized it wrong and ordered up a section of 1/2". Way to small! I could use some education on the subject myself.

SP

IOWOLF
02-03-2008, 10:20 AM
They were originally for EMERGENCY USE ONLY.
So it didn't much matter the specific size of the pulley .

But I have had them on lathes for many years, Puritans be Damned.

wierdscience
02-03-2008, 10:43 AM
It may depend on the brand,it may also depend on the pulley groove and the belt your replacing.

There are in this world classical groove belts (A,B,C,D etc) then there are L section belts (2L,3L,4L,5L etc) and still again V or VX section belts (3V,5V,8V etc) there are also other less common types than those here in the states.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/wierdscience/v-belts.gif

First thing to do is determine which cossection your pulleys take.The classical and L section belts are both the same angle which is 40*The V and VX are 30*.The two groups do not interchange.

The Fenner belts replace both the classical and L section belts.FAIK there is no functional link belt replacement for the V/VX section belts probibly because of the HP rating per belt being so high.

I use Fenner brand on nearly everything,they are the most bang for the buck IMHO outperforming regular belts in vibration and longevity in my experience.

I have tried other brands and none really match in terms of performance.There are some Chinese makes out there that come close,but they don't control vibration nearly as well.

http://www.fennerdrives.com/high_performance_composite_vbelts/powertwist_home.htm