PDA

View Full Version : graphite lubrication

shadoof
02-03-2008, 06:22 AM
I've been using this stuff,

http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-316744/ck-t6283a-graphite-dry-lubricating-powder.html

for certain jobs, yankee screwdriver, locks, etc just wondered where I shouldn't be using it ?

I know it wouldn't be any good on stuff that had oil on / near

Thoughts?

Lee

huntinguy
02-03-2008, 06:36 AM
If, memory serves me correctly, Graphite conducts electricity. May not want to use it around electrical switches or near a white carpet :D

ptjw7uk
02-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Not sure where yo got the info on not near oil as in the past colloidal graphite was used in an oil base as a running in lubricant.
The lock stuff you have there is a lot coarser and is the best lubricant for locks etc where the use of oil will attract dust and will eventually clog the innards
On my locks I just scrape an hb pencil lead and put on key and insert in lock usually lasts for some months so tahnks for the web site I will order some to save the mess from a pencil!!
Peter

Frank K
02-03-2008, 04:11 PM
If, memory serves me correctly, Graphite conducts electricity. May not want to use it around electrical switches or near a white carpet :D

Our workfloor is lighted by 400 watt metal halide high bay fixtures and those bulbs run HOT. We were having a problem with the bulbs siezing in the fixture sockets due to the heat. The glass envelope would sometimes break from the force necessary to remove a burned out lamp. The manufacturer (Phillips) recommended floating a layer of powdered graphite on water in a coffee can, dipping the base of the bulb in to coat the threads and then installing in the fixture. It seemed to work fine. We never had a problem with the graphite being conductive although we did have a problem with the mess. Eventually we switched to using a ceramic based anti-sieze lubricant.

shadoof
02-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Our workfloor is lighted by 400 watt metal halide high bay fixtures and those bulbs run HOT. We were having a problem with the bulbs siezing in the fixture sockets due to the heat.

I was taught with edison screw fittings to tighten them just by hand so they were snug then back 1/8 of a turn.

Lee

darryl
02-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Graphite is conductive, but it takes a significant layer and a short distance between conductors to cause any problems. I think the most significant problem using it around wiring is the potential (sic) for shock by having a live wire conduct juice through a graphite layer to an ungrounded metal case- things like that. You could smear it all over the back of a switch and all around the contacts, or around the base of a light bulb, without causing a problem- not that anyone should deliberately do that. In the case of the lightbulb, it's probably a good idea to wipe the threads with it for easier removal later. That part of a socket that accepts the screw-in base is supposed to be neutral anyway- but I wouldn't count on that for safety in any event.

I'd be interested to see what kind of conduction a graphite filled grease would give- that would represent a bulk more than a thin layer. That could possibly be significant.

Ed ke6bnl
02-04-2008, 07:37 AM
I wouldn't use it near a white dress shirt. but we would use it at work mixed with oil and then put on the gaskets for our boiler flanges so they could be removed in the future

Carld
02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I have a tube of graphite grease for dead centers that I use for some things but never in locks.

Steve Steven
02-04-2008, 11:53 AM
I use a graphite-in-isopropanol solution as an indicator fluid for fitting parts and recievers to stocks. I paint the parts, fit them, and look for the rubbed off spots to be high spots.

The fluid is used in Navy Nuclear work as an approved lubricant in reactor areas, don't spill on your clothes!

Steve