PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Cables?

madman
02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
What type of cable Lube is used in outdoor xtreme weather conditions that wont gum or freeze up the cable . Im havoing problems with cables freezing solid and getting gummy on some equipment I keep outdoors.Thanx

rockrat
02-03-2008, 08:59 AM
I used some graphite based stuff in the past. It was a dry mixture but I dont remember the name. I have also had luck with the liquid graphite stuff for frozen car door locks.

Cheers
rock

ptjw7uk
02-03-2008, 09:08 AM
see
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=27403
Peter

Bguns
02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Good rust preventative, fairly thin, cheap, and not too messy...

Carld
02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
There is a grease called open gear and cable grease that is black and like tar. It is Moly29 open gear compound by Pennwalt. It sticks like s**t on a stick. Don't get it on your cloths it won't come out.

Optics Curmudgeon
02-03-2008, 07:15 PM
A friend of mine has a Cessna 210 that developed problems with the mixture and carb heat cables. The carb heat cable was nearly unusable. In desperation he sprayed some ACF-50 into the cable jacket and blew it through with compressed air. Those cables are still working smoothly two years later, and they get exposed to some pretty severe conditions. ACF-50 is sold by Aircraft Spruce as a corrosion preventative and penetrating oil, it's expensive but has freed stuck items for a number of people that I know of.

Joe

andy_b
02-04-2008, 09:01 PM
for mountain biking there are GoreTex Ride-On cables (at least that was the name a few years ago when i bought them). they are a rigid cable inside a teflon sheath of some sort, and then all of that is inside the standard black PVC cable housing. they come in various lengths and you cut them to fit. in the years i had them on my bike they never froze or bound up, and my bike was generally covered in mud (and i never oiled or cleaned the cables). we rode from march-december. if a set of these would work in your application i'm sure they would function fine.

andy b.