X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QSIMDO
    • Jan 2005

Dial test indicators

I get crosseyed looking at the myriad offerings on catalog pages.

What would be a decent device for, say, under $50?
    Len
  • Jack Burns
    • May 2003

Try here:

Test Indicator Brand Comparison: Mitutoyo, Starrett, Bestest, Interapid and others.

and scroll waaay down.

Comment

• smiller6912
      • Jan 2008

Used?

I don't know if your into eBay but, they have several "name" brands that look to be a good deal. (I always see if the seller has a refund policy).
      I saw a few that I would buy (Starrett, BROWN & SHARPE, MITUTOYO, etc.)
      Used can be a great deal, check out this page:
      Get the best deals for __Measurement-Tools_dial-test-indicator_W0QQ_nkwZQ22dialQ20testQ20indicatorQ22QQ_dmdZ1QQ_fxdZ1 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
      "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• tony ennis

Those only are good for .25" accuracy. I read that somewhere.

/runs away laughing, my job here is done!

Comment

• QSIMDO
          • Jan 2005

Cool!

I'm only working to 1.00" anyway!

No, I tend to drop things as my hands don't function well anymore and I'd hate to drop anything of value...but then the pile of "previous worked raw material" is growing too.

eBay I guess.
          Fly out of the sun and snipe a Swiss made something or other.
          Len

Comment

• BadDog
            • May 2006

I've bought several B&S "BestTest" DTIs for $5-10. And several Starrett DIs for around $10. The most I've paid for any of them was twice that (ready to use). For some reason that seems to be the way it works out here. Rarely see Starrett DTIs (don't like them anyway) or B&S DIs. Also got some others like Geneva, Aims, Federal, etc. for similar prices. My current "go to" favorite DTI is a $30 Interrapid 0.0001.

Some required cleaning with alcohol due to sticky (from over oiling mostly it seems) but all work well. But indicators, particularly sticky ones, can be found pretty reasonably, but it takes some spelunking...

Other than that, to just order something, the very first DTI I bought was a Fowler "set" on sale from Enco, something like $40. Style is based on the BestTest 0.0005 and it works quite well. The mag base was a complete POS, but I salvaged that by taking off the short (~5") articulated arm and mounting on a quick change holder to do setups on the lathe. Over all I'm very happy with it, though I never use the DTI any more.
            Russ
            Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I have a horizontal faced DTI $23 from www.CDCOtools.com checked it against my B&S best test and it gives the same readings and is smooth as silk, don't care for the white face though.

Comment

• BobWarfield
                • Nov 2005

Len, your indicator may be an area not to try to save too much. I appreciate the dangers of dropping one, but the very delicateness of their construction makes it hard to make a nice one for under $50.

eBay is your friend. If you can get to the $50-100 there are some very nice indicators available.

Best,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

• lazlo
                  • Jun 2006

I like the B&S black dials - I get them new on Ebay for $40 - $50.
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• JCHannum
                    • Nov 2001

I find this type easy to read:

Jim H.

Comment

• lazlo
                      • Jun 2006

LOL Jim -- that's awesome!
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                      X