PDA

View Full Version : What is a D.P. mean in thread chart?

MachineJim
02-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I got a new lathe recently, and I am looking at the threading chart and it says D.P. and M.P., & TPI & Metric. I am not figuring out the DP. I assume MP means metric Pitch, but not sure because it also says Metric.Its on a new machine, I never had anything but old Monarchs and Cincinnatis that only did Inch threads. I bought 2 new lathes, one big one small. Only big machine says this on it small one doesnot.

agrip
02-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Does the new machinery come with a manual?
Stuff tends to be spelled out on paper text, and cryptic on the mounted charts and or printed tables.

Good luck, Ag

franco
02-04-2008, 12:14 AM
DP is probably Diametral Pitch, used when cutting worm gears.

franco

Joel
02-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes, diametral and MP for modular pitch.

CCWKen
02-04-2008, 01:32 AM
If it was an old lathe, it could also be "Dryseal Pitch". That's pipe-talk for 8 and 11 1/2 TPI. Being it's new, it could be just expressing different names for the same function to catch all audiences. Got a pic of the chart? How is it shown?

John Stevenson
02-04-2008, 03:28 AM
I got a new lathe recently, and I am looking at the threading chart and it says D.P. and M.P., & TPI & Metric.

DP stands for Diametrical Pitch, it's for when you want to make a screw or more accuratly a worm that mates with an imperial gear wheel.

MP stands for Modular Pitch, sometimes written as Mod. As above but to run with a metric gear wheel.

TPI is your imperial thread range for screwcutting.

Metric is your metric thread range for screwcutting.