PDA

View Full Version : Finally did the QC toolholders!

Your Old Dog
02-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Boy is that sweet. Someone here a week or so ago said they liked the CDCO set so I got a set for my SB9 for $89.00 and 10 tool holders at $10 each. I am very happy with the build quality. The tool holders look like a steal fro $10.00. They have a ground finish and few, if any, tool marks that I can see. Tomorrow I get to try them out. Spent all evening dealing with cosomoline ! Thanks to whoever it was that reccomended the CDCO set.

wierdscience
02-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Only ten holders?That's not nearly enough,as you will soon find out ten wheelbarrows full is more like it:D

RTPBurnsville
02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
My CDCO QCTP arrived this evening and I am impressed as well. Its a bit of an overkill for my 7x10 but should work nicely once I get it mounted.

I also ordered some index lathe bits and a Co-Ax indicator and they look to be of similar quality as the QCTP.

Robert

daryl bane
02-04-2008, 11:43 PM
You boys over did it , as "China Joe" is out of stock on the BXA Std toolholders. Hopefully he'll get some more in.

JRouche
02-05-2008, 12:03 AM
You boys over did it , as "China Joe" is out of stock on the BXA Std toolholders. Hopefully he'll get some more in.

LOL No kidding.. I just got my order in and it felt a lil light.. Five are on back order... JRouche

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/holders.jpg

BobWarfield
02-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Wow, JRouche!

I ordered 5 for my part, and thought that was quite a few. I have the original 6 that came with it, I've probably bought 5 more of various kinds, and this 5 will land me at 16.

How many you got total, JRouche, and are they all for one lathe?

Now you need to build a rack for 'em. With that many, I think a Lazy Susan for QCTP's.

Cheers,

BW

BCtech
02-05-2008, 01:08 AM
It must be CDCO's big day or something. My shipment arrived with 5 toolholders, dial test indicator, drill bit set, center drill set, 60 deg center gauge, cutoff blade, and JT33 chuck to replace the one I stole off my mini drill press.

Quickly tried each toolholder and they all fit very nicely on the phase II wedge QCTP from Enco.

The rivets were blown out of the drill bit set so the side mounted trays were floating loose and the rivets were embedded in the surrounding styrofoam. No visible damage to the drill set case or trays so I just put some more rivets in place and am done with it. The package must have taken an impact during shipping but I don't consider this even worth telling CDCO about as I don't think it's their fault.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/5591/img2551ik0.jpg

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7945/img2548kd2.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2381/img2567je9.jpg

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6587/img2572dk3.jpg

JRouche
02-05-2008, 01:35 AM
How many you got total, JRouche, and are they all for one lathe?

Now you need to build a rack for 'em. With that many, I think a Lazy Susan for QCTP's.
BW

Hey Bob.. I think thirty something.. I just saw they were so inexpensive so I figured they were never gonna be any less expensive so I just bought a few more..

I crunched the numbers re: making my own or buying them. Even If I used some mild steel, which I wasnt gonna (4140ish was my plan) the parts and material would have been too close to even consider..

I use them on two 10 inch lathes. A southbend 10L and a monarch 10EE.. Both lathes have Phase II blockes on them. Works well for me...

Yer exactly right!! I was gonna do some good searches here and the web to find some ideas for tool holder holders..

My problem is these holders will all have tool bits in them most all the time and so maybe some kind of christmas tree type holder would be good. I was thinking about a long rail also but it would have to be segmented so I could remove a holder from the middle. Dunno, I am gonna have to do some searches..JRouche

Ian B
02-05-2008, 02:40 AM
My toolholders have taken up permanent residence on the top of the headstock, along with a couple of chuck keys and some swarf. I keep getting more of them; they seem to breed when I'm not watching. I'm looking for good storage ideas. ANyone?

Thanks,

Ian

Your Old Dog
02-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Nice to see everyone is happy with there's:o That means I won't be able to get a few more :D I wanted to order 10 more because I did manage to use the ones I have up pretty quick and I ain't even turned the lathe on yet.

If you forget the cost of steel, I wonder how many you could make with $40.00 60 degree dovetail cutter before the cutter was scrap?

My SB9 mod A has the cabinet with drawers. the holders seem to fit in the drawer lined up like Ninja warriors all ready get ugly when needs be! I think that's all the storage I'll need. When I look down into the drawer the profile of the bit shows up very well.

I'm going to see if I can modify their Knurling tool so that it is sissors type. I have the sissors type from Enco and my use that as part of the mod.

Once I grind a shade off of my HSS cut-off blades they should fit the toolholders arraingment pretty well. I was not able to find any 1/2 HSS cut off blades, only the new $100 style with there $5.00 replacement carbice bits. That won't be in my shop till I buy it at one of your garage sales :D

Virgil Johnson
02-05-2008, 06:53 AM
I have different mindset when it comes to QC tool holders. I have 7 or 8 of them and that to me is plenty. I'd rather switch tools than store 20 holders and look through them to find the tool I want to use. They fit in a nice row on the lathe headstock and there are not so many that I bang the cutting edge of the tool against the row in front while retrieving or replacing it.

ptjw7uk
02-05-2008, 09:24 AM
I notice from the pictures of qctp fitted to lathes that the holder is always way down on the top slide which makes me think most are built to large for the lathes. For the piston to work properly I think the holder should be nearer the middle or at least cover the piston!!

ANtway nice deal at 10$ but over the pond the postage would kill any deal worth a light!!!

peter

DICKEYBIRD
02-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Piston? I thought pistons go in engines. QCTP's are supposed to have wedges.;) (Ducks and runs for cover.)

Your Old Dog
02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Piston? I thought pistons go in engines. QCTP's are supposed to have wedges.;) (Ducks and runs for cover.)

They can have either. Mine has pistons but the wedge version is supposed to be .0002 more accurate. BUT, and this is a huge BUT........ they cost nearly twice as much. I'm pleased as punch with my inferior piston type :)

bob ward
02-05-2008, 12:44 PM
ANtway nice deal at 10$ but over the pond the postage would kill any deal worth a light!!!

peter

US Mail will airmail one of their Flat Rate Boxes up to a maximum weight of 20lb anywhere in the world for US$37, which to me is amazing value.

16 BXA holders fit in the box and under the 20lb just nicely

ptjw7uk
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes the postage is real value so I am going to order 8 of them( musn't be to greedy) so with the postage it works out at 50% of the UK best price!!!
Certainly not to be sneezed at - even cheaper than buying the metal to make em!!
Peter

pcarpenter
02-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Huh....I hope Frank will go along with the US Mail box idea (Frank being *the* guy at CDCO Tools). Me....I live just 150 miles or so down the road from them and he charged me $16 shipping for three stinking toolholders. From trying out his web site (I do not advocate ordering electronically as my order apparentlywent in the bit bucket) it looks like they must have some flat shipping rate schedule as you spend more $. I think it started out as $13 shipping for one tool holder! It calculated that right off the bat, so, what that means is that likely I am subsidizing the shipping costs for those of you on the other end of the country. I guess I wish he would discover the "flat rate" boxes for the rest of us too.

Don't get me wrong....I am largely a happy customer. I've been buying from him for some time....I just always hate to see the bargain shrink when I get the packing slip with the handling and tax on it.

Paul

garyphansen
02-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Your Old Dog: Who about a address or a web address where you have been buying tool holders for $10.00 each? Gary P. Hansen

DICKEYBIRD
02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php

Your Old Dog
02-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Sorry Gary. It was CDCO.com and it's a February special. Someone here said theirs was back ordered? I'm thinking on ordering another 10 and let him back order them for me.

PCarpenter, don't be too hard on them. I just sent out 10 different packages all around the US for some eBay auctions. On big boxe that I thought would be expensive was acutally cheapper to send then some of the much smaller boxes. When I inquired about it the guy told me it had to do if the address was on a normal route or if they'd have to go very far off the route to deliver the package. I guess that makes some sense. If you live in the city with a hundred others getting packages that day it's going to be cheaper for UPS to make your delivery then if they have to go 30 miles out and 30 miles back at 60mph and the drivers wages. It was an education for me.

pcarpenter
02-05-2008, 03:39 PM
I follow what you are saying, but if I am not mistaken its still something like $8.10 flat rate for up to 70 pounds *anywhere* the USPS delivers to use the flat rate boxes. I get mail every day from the USPS...no special trip needed.

The problem is that some businesses ship *everything* through one shipper and that shipper can charge whatever they want. That sort of business relationship should bring a better price schedule, but when the USPS can ship that much cheaper than UPS, the customers of a company in bed with UPS, for example, loose.

Two tool holders were $13 each (BXA size) and the boring bar holder was $19. If I divide the $16 shipping across the two "bargain" tool holders, they really cost me $21 each....there goes the bargain. I tend to wonder if the shipping is to make up for the low price on the product....like happens on Ebay a lot.

I had been buying tool holders from Grizzly when I would hit their store in Springfield, MO on trips to visit family. They cost $21 there (and are physically larger and a bit nicer)....regular price. I think the moral of the story is to buy in bulk as I think their shipping charges at CDCO are heavily front-end weighted. Shipping 20 of them may be not that much more than 2-3 of them.

Paul

bob ward
02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Huh....I hope Frank will go along with the US Mail box idea (Frank being *the* guy at CDCO Tools).
Paul

Frank's cool, he understands and works with (he did with me anyway) the International Flat Rate Box system.

ptjw7uk, the combination of cheap postage and buying a few at a time also enables me to land toolholders (in Oz) for half the best local price

J.Ramsey
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
pcarpenter
Last Wednesday I ordered 8 tool holders a DTI and a 3/16 x 3/4 drill chuck, shipping to Kansas was $16.00 for everything and I received it Friday afternoon.
I can't complain the holders are finished better than Phase II IMO, I wanted 12 but he said 8 was all he had at the moment(thanks JRouche):p
Sounds like to me he charges the same shipping no matter where its going.
I will order from them again.

ptjw7uk
02-06-2008, 07:16 AM
JR they must have some more in stock as I ordered 8 yesterday and they just said they shipped today!
It can't get better than that still not sure how they are so cheap at 5(10$) against 14.50(29$) in uk even the postage is reasonable for 8 of them.
Just need a win on the lottery and buy a lot more!!!!

Peter

Your Old Dog
02-06-2008, 09:07 AM
pt7jwuk, can you let us know when you get yours if they still have a really nice finish on them? I'd like to order more but want the others to all be the same and not from two different qualities. thanks.

dwentz
02-06-2008, 04:48 PM
I ordered some of the $9.00 AXA holders yesterday, and received them today. Nice finish same as my last.

I also got one of the one know dial indicator holders as I needed another. Is a very slick little holder for 20.00 CDCO part 26115.

Dale

ptjw7uk
02-20-2008, 10:09 AM
My cdco tool holders arrived today - look the same as my original ones.
Tried the first one and it would not go on so tried all the others only one fitted.
Began to investigate why on measuremen tI could not measure any difference between one sthat fitted and those that did not. Removed fittings from one and tried it on upside down(no idea why but) and it slide almost down to the bottom, when I peered at the toolpost from the to pI could see that there was a gap between the tool side of the holder and the tool post. this suggested to me that the thickness of the angled part was too thick.
I then ground some material from the rear of the holder on my disk sander and after a few goes it fitted OK.
I then did the other 6 so all fit now. Its still a bargain at 50% of UK price even including the US postage.
Peter

Your Old Dog
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
thanks for the report. Think I'll order out 10 more and declare it enough!

Spin Doctor
02-20-2008, 11:41 AM
LOL No kidding.. I just got my order in and it felt a lil light.. Five are on back order... JRouche

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/Jrouche/HSM/holders.jpg

How many are enough? :D Let's see, one for threading, two or three set up for boring bars, one for facing, one for general turning, maybe one for a chamfer tool, but then myself I would want a couple or three insert holders converted to fit the tool post. http://www.aloris.com/products.php?action=display&prod_id=465
Is not nessecary to spring for the big bucks and go for Aloris but the ones shown in the link so just what is possible to do. I've done a few myself and on a QGTP they work great. I've shown them here before so I really see no need to show them now.

JCHannum
02-20-2008, 01:45 PM
The only problem with the toolholders with the pocket for the insert milled in is that eventually, wear or a wreck will destroy the pocket. I have one of these, and use it frequently;

http://www.aloris.com/products.php?action=display&prod_id=411

It has a replaceable cartridge, so the holder is not destroyed. The cartridge and parts are available separately from Aloris, and homemade holders can be concocted to utilize them.

Another Aloris product that is useful is the threading blade. I have accumulated a number of these and made my own toolholder, and it is my most used threading cutter.

http://www.aloris.com/products.php?action=display&prod_id=42

A lot of the Aloris parts are not too expensive, and can be adapted to the home shop without the need to go to the expense of the whole holder. It is worthwhile to cruise the catalog for inspiration.

wirewrkr
02-20-2008, 02:28 PM
My four just arived yesterday, I think I need more.
Thanks for the tip a few weeks ago, I was on vacation and ordered when I got home, just got'em, oy such a deal.
The handle stops in the same place as the ones that came with the phase two, so no complaints there!
Well worth the money. Must have more..................
Robert

GKman
02-20-2008, 02:33 PM
They work even better if you put tools in them. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/P2200040.jpg

wirewrkr
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Well I just shut down the shop for the night and one of the last things to do was start assigning tools to the holders..........Uh Oh!, the set screws (8x1.25mm) are BAD. They are supposed to be a cup style set screw, but are just GARBAGE. This is just a heads up, STILL a good deal, but I'm throwing away the ALL the set screws and ordering real ones. they are BOGUS and if used will probably fail and either cause some harm to person when the tool moves, or at BEST ruin a work piece. TAKE A CLOSE LOOK BEFORE YOU START USING THEM!!! I tightenned down a bit holder in one and it just didn't feel right, so I disassembled it and looked at the screws.
Robert

JRouche
02-21-2008, 12:11 AM
[SIZE="5"]They work even better if you put tools in them. Image deleted

Ok thats the pic I was looking for. I need a rack to store them on while the tool bit is in place. Kinda what I envisioned. Is it basically a strip of bar that is smaller than the opening of the dovetail side? I like it. So you just kinda hook the tool holder over the top and let her droop and gravity holds it in place? I was thinking of some type of plastic to keep from marring the dovetail area, Im kinda hard on the tool as I get moving fast, just wanna toss it up there. Thanks for the picture. I will work off of that. JRouche

Joel
02-21-2008, 12:32 AM
Yep, the screws always seem to be pretty crappy. I got one batch of holders with the screws so hardened that they would shatter. A big box of quality screws from McMaster Carr took care of the problem for only a few dollars.

JR, I just put a piece of angle aluminum along the top of my backsplash to store my frequently used holders. Aluminum was chosen for the reason you mentioned. The location is very convenient, and while my lathe isn't long enough to store all of my holders, there is plenty of room for all of the common ones.

gearedloco
02-21-2008, 02:11 AM
than the "OMNI-POST" system advertised in HSM?

Back when I bought my Nth-hand Logan 10", either the Aloris-type knock-offs weren't available or I didn't know about them. As an alternative to the lantern setup that came with the lathe I bought the prints and material kit to build an OMNI-POST setup. It's served fairly well, but I have some concerns about the rigidity of the design. The question I have to answer before I build another bunch of holders is, "Would switching to the Phase II piston-type be a better solution?"

At the time I didn't have a good way to cut the indexing notches in the base, but now I do, so if I stick with the design that'll be high on the list.

Another option would be to build something like the "Andy's Quick-change Tool Post" which could use the Aloris/Phase II holders. While an interesting project, I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

I await the wisdom of the on-line savants!

JCHannum
02-21-2008, 08:12 AM
When I had my first 10" Atlas, I didn't want to invest in any of the QC posts then on the market. I made my own version of the Omni Post by interpolating the pictures in their ads. It was a little skimpier than the real deal, but more than adequate.

If you already have the system, I would not make the switch to Aloris style. The Omni Post is quite rigid, and offers some advantages the Aloris does not have.

BobWarfield
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
They work even better if you put tools in them. :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/gkman/P2200040.jpg

Nice pic, GKMan!

Let's see everyone's custom holders and holder rack pics.

Here's my tooling, nothing custom though:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/img/Tooling/P1010185.JPG

They live in a nice wooden drawer in the bench the lathe sits on.

Best,

BW

GKman
02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Ok thats the pic I was looking for. I need a rack to store them on while the tool bit is in place. Kinda what I envisioned. Is it basically a strip of bar that is smaller than the opening of the dovetail side? I like it. So you just kinda hook the tool holder over the top and let her droop and gravity holds it in place? I was thinking of some type of plastic to keep from marring the dovetail area, Im kinda hard on the tool as I get moving fast, just wanna toss it up there. Thanks for the picture. I will work off of that. JRouche

JRouche,
1 1/2" X 1/8" angle with one leg up to hook over. I hate to set masonry anchors and design to mince them. Two 1/4" all-thread studs set in epoxy.
A class act like you could slit a piece of rubber/plastic tube to hem the top edge. I just used rattle can paint.

GKman
02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Nice pic, GKMan!

Let's see everyone's custom holders and holder rack pics.

Here's my tooling, nothing custom though:

They live in a nice wooden drawer in the bench the lathe sits on.

Best,

BW

Nice set. What's the vee knotched bubble level for? <edit> Duh, to set the height, right?

Evan
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I e-mailed Frank this am and asked if he will send via USPS to Canada instead of UPS. I heard back and he says :

I can send USPS, make sure remind me when you order. Thanks
Frank

So, I think I will order a few items.

kjbllc
02-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I also ordered one. As you know (which I didn't) you have to machine the bottom piece to fit the SB, or at least on my 10 you have to. Just wanted to get some advice on how the best way to do that would be.
1. hacksaw the sides
2. the grind down the thickness to fit from the bottom
3. finish sand

I guess the bottom doesn't need to be machined flat. cause it doesn't really have to hit anything.

also, will I have to grind the end of the threads as they may stick out the bottom. I think its about 3/8" and the sb uses 1/4" thickness as the holding plate on the compound, I didn't measure it just guessing. thanks for any advice on this.

Paul_Chretien
02-21-2008, 05:06 PM
Here is my Tool Tree. I can't take credit for the design. The materials were discarded by the Public Works Department

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x101/Paul_chretien/tol_p_rack2Small.jpg

This is the stand without the tool holders. The brackets are secured with pop rivets

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x101/Paul_chretien/tol_p_rackSmall.jpg

BadDog
02-21-2008, 05:09 PM
also, will I have to grind the end of the threads as they may stick out the bottom. I think its about 3/8" and the sb uses 1/4" thickness as the holding plate on the compound, I didn't measure it just guessing. thanks for any advice on this.

Are you talking about the "nut"? If so, I just milled two notches down the sides, forming a t-nut. Makes for a nice stable sliding fit in my compound, though not an SB...

Your Old Dog
02-21-2008, 05:57 PM
I have to say this QC holder has done more for the finish I'm getting on my lathe then anything. It is more solid and easier to setup perfect on center and being faster means I'm more likely to use the right bits. I can even sharpen in there holders.

JCHannum
02-21-2008, 07:21 PM
A good QC toolpost is probably the single best investment that can be made for your lathe. Wait until you try it with the cutoff tool.

Walter
02-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Happiness is not having to reach for a wrench to swivel the tool post.

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1167/4323122/17850766/302557492.jpg

All the lathes at work, with one exception, have 4 way turret tool holders and I appreciate being able to quickly swivel to a different tool, but I still miss my QCTP. It says a lot when I find I'd rather do a job on my SB 9 than on the Lodge or the DS&G wholly because of the versatility of the tool holder system.

Reed
02-21-2008, 11:11 PM
2 types of layouts for toolholders on my backboard.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff3/rstreifthau/LatheBackboard-s.jpg

- Reed
Raleigh, NC

GKman
02-22-2008, 07:20 AM
Reed,
Let's see the rest of that tool board. I like it!

kjbllc
02-22-2008, 08:41 AM
any suggestions to machining the nut, without having any machining setup?

jacampb2
02-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Aw geez... I just read this thread and of course I had some extra money lying around. I went to look over the cdco site, and found all sorts of stuff I needed. Of course I had to check some prices against enco, and found even more goodies, so $350 later, I have a lot of stuff I have been meaning to buy, including some more BXA tool holders.

I finally ordered some:
V-blocks
Parting blades
center finder
4" 5c chuck
3 more BXA holders

and then from enco, for about the same prices, but free shipping:

5x7 angle table
5c spin indexer
A few angle plates
A bunch of various MT adapter sleeves
A few MT->JT arbors I needed
and a few other odds and ends.

Which brings up an interesting question...

I need a couple of MT0 sleeves for some micro albrecht chucks I have. So far, all of my big tooling suppliers, enco, MSC, & production tool supply have absolutely nothing in MT0. A google search did not turn up anything but a few very over priced sets; does anyone know where I can buy a MT0 adapter sleeve?

Thanks for spending my money!
Jason

Evan
02-22-2008, 10:33 AM
These guys have MT0 reamers. That's all you need.
http://www.newmantools.com/reamer/index.html#mt

Reed
02-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Reed,
Let's see the rest of that tool board. I like it!

This is a more recent pic I have on the PC. It shows the 5c part and the rest of the "spots" for holders are filled.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff3/rstreifthau/LatheToolBoard-1-s.jpg

- Reed
Raleigh, NC

IOWOLF
02-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Is your Lathe cold? get that cover off and use it.

GKman
02-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Happiness is not having to reach for a wrench to swivel the tool post.

http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1167/4323122/17850766/302557492.jpg

All the lathes at work, with one exception, have 4 way turret tool holders and I appreciate being able to quickly swivel to a different tool, but I still miss my QCTP. It says a lot when I find I'd rather do a job on my SB 9 than on the Lodge or the DS&G wholly because of the versatility of the tool holder system.

Isn't that one of those Hebrew Shofars they blow when Sabbeth starts?:rolleyes:

quasi
02-22-2008, 09:18 PM
just got 10 AXA and 10 BXA's, all are well finished and fit great.

JRouche
02-22-2008, 09:19 PM
This is a more recent pic I have on the PC. It shows the 5c part and the rest of the "spots" for holders are filled.
- Reed
Raleigh, NC

Hey Reed, nice board. I like the fact that it provides for a dense storage solution. I am limited on space so density or I might say efficient use of space is a concern.. Im not to good with wood working, very costly in screw ups LOL I might consider an aluminum version for myself.. JRouche

uute
02-23-2008, 05:32 AM
kjbllc

What type tool holder are you replacing? When I installed my QC post to my import lathe, I just made a new nut from plate or bar stock.

I set my 4-way flush w/ the compound, set the compound square to the bed, then clamped the plate to the side of the compound w/ C clamp. Now you can mount an end mill in the lathe spindle to mill the T nut, then drill & tap the stud hole.

You may get away w/ just tapping a flat plate that fits in the "slot" part of the compound - esp. as a temp nut if you can't make a better one now. It doesn't have to fit tight, you could file one if you had to!

Hope this helps
uute

kjbllc
02-23-2008, 07:52 AM
thanks yes that does help.

Reed
02-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Is your Lathe cold? get that cover off and use it.

:-) yep, it is also cold. The Playpen is an unheated attached 1.5 car garage.

But it is the grinders' dust; bench, surface, TC&G, etc. that are in the same space that I need the canvas covers. It should be a bit bigger and some larger pieces of canvas will come my way someday.

humm, maybe sooner. 2 weeks ago I was trailering Girl Scout cookies in an open 7.5 x 12 trailer on a sunny day; and sure could have used a cargo net. The China Kit supply store, HF, was in that neighborhood and they had a bungie type cargo net for full size pickups that worked (still needed a perimeter rope). The price? 7+ bucks on "sale". geesh, the time I spent lacing ropes for 7+ bucks <shaking head>, I might see if they have canvas in there if I ever go back.

- Reed

Reed
02-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Reed, nice board. I like the fact that it provides for a dense storage solution. I am limited on space so density or I might say efficient use of space is a concern.. Im not to good with wood working, very costly in screw ups LOL I might consider an aluminum version for myself.. JRouche

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff3/rstreifthau/LatheToolBoard-2-s.jpg

here is a close-up, not that I think you need it to get the idea. There is a slight angle so the toolholders stay positive to the board. It was made of scraps around the place and Linseed Oiled. I see talk that Linseed is bad (armchair experts abound on the Internet), but works for me, no rust.

Obviously make the pins with a working fit to the dovetails. And given you'll improve the design, post it back. I might need use your improvements. :-)

Looking at the pic again, I see the varity of toolholders I've picked up over the years, including the original Aloris that came with the QCTP and the "shop-made" ones; before the China stuff became to cheap to spend time on "shop-made"..

Before some asks, that is a Keystone Manfg. shaper internal toolholder and it is not for sale. It is a "memories" item for me. :-) It came from my father and his 5 shapers, none less than 18" stroke. (he obviously had a _much_ larger shop)

IOWolf: I just noticed the dust on the 5c rack. I think a cover from the backboard down across the lathe would be a good idea for me. Then the entire lathe will stay cozy-n-warm. <grin>

- Reed
Raleigh, NC

uute
02-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Reed,

Those holders are Too SHARP!! I gotta put some on my to-do list. I like the high density storage and that you can see the cutter profile instantly.

Thanks
uute