Maaking complex structures with really simple jigs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • winchman
    • Aug 2003

Maaking complex structures with really simple jigs.

Someone asked me to weld together a dodecahedron and an icosahedron from 3/16 rod. At first it seemed like a difficult project, but the jigs turned out to be really simple. The hard part was clamping the round pieces to the table while I tacked them together.

I did the icosahedron first. No jig is needed for the first triangle, of course. Once it's done, the plywood jig props it up to the proper angle while the next triangle is completed. There are thirty pieces to weld together, and twenty joints.

For the dodecahedron, you need a jig for the 72-degree angles in each pentagon and a jig to prop the completed side to the proper angle while the next pentagon is completed. Again, there are thrity pieces and twenty joints.

The two shapes were within 1/8" of being symmetrical, judged by measuring the overall height with each face on the table.

Roger
    Last edited by winchman; 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.
  • Spin Doctor
    • Nov 2002

Like my daddy told me. "Work smarter, not harder."
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
    X