PDA

View Full Version : My new chinese 4X6 saw hits the floor...

torker
02-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Heh heh heh... or so they wish :D
Here it is guys! The old Wells M8 (8 1/2 X 16)hit the floor today...as in finally got unloaded out of the back of the truck its been sitting in for a month and a half. I was a little leary of this saw. I paid $400 for it off fleabay from the same guy i bought my lil' turret lathe. Now that I've tried it I still can't believe I got this for $400. The blade is about done and there's something wrong with the downfeed cylinder (too slow and no adjust) but other than that shes an absolute beauty! It's about 7 feet long and it works fantastic. There is nothing missing that I can see and it's all OEM.
Funny...the guy told me it weighed about 250 pounds. That's what I told the shippers also. Guess they never weighed it. I'm not sure what it weighs but it is HEAVY!
Very nice saw! It runs wisper quiet...no vibrations... I still can't believe it's so good.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00008.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00007-1.jpg
Russ

rockrat
02-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I hope thats not your blood on the floor!!!! Looks a little spooky.

Thats a good looking saw though. Some of the fellas around here have posted downfeed mods that they have made to their saws. You might do a little search and get a free design.

Have fun, and doint try cutting any 60Rc steel in that thing or youll turn your sawblade into a butter knife. And dont ask me how I know. :D
Or worse, dont put the blade on backwards. Butter knife in half the time! And dont ask me how I know that one either!

rock-

torker
02-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Rock...LOL! No that's not blood! The floor is painted a dull red and the snow is melting off the saw onto it. Yes, I'm going to check into a better downfeed cylinder and of course I want to add a coolant setup so I'll have to build a tray as well.
If you look in the background of the first pic you can see my old 4X6 swivelhead saw. I've about worked that thing to death up here. It still works well but it's far too slow to cut the big stuff in a business environment.
The old saw also needs an auto shutoff wired into it. Not quite up to workers comp specs I'd say.
Russ

wierdscience
02-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Russ,nice score!I love Wellsaws,the 1118 at work I like more and more everytime I use it.Sawed up some 6x13" blocks the otherday,ran about 15 minutes a cut finished up less than 1/64" out of sqaure over the 13" width.

Did you contact them about a parts book yet?They sent me the one for the 1118 in PDF form,all I had to do was print it out.Good company.

JoeFin
02-06-2008, 11:10 PM
I picked up a Johnson 14" x 7" horizontal for $300 to replace the Happy F@rt bandsaw that took a dump on me.

No comparison, the heavy Johnson cuts STRAIGHT, no more milling off .060" to get a straight edge. The downfeed is adjustable and it has a nice fluid pump that runs off the pully. no seperate pump motor to mess with or burn out.

torker
02-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the info Darin! Just for fun I may ask them about a cylinder. It might be reasonable enough to buy it from them. you don't know til ya try.
Once I get that sorted out i want to change to a 6tpi blade to speed the heavy cutting up. This ol' girl is going to save me a lot of loot...having the "other" gurl standing there for hours on end while the small saw nibbled away at anything big....well it's just expensive.
Joe... I like the pump idea. It prolly wouldn't be that hard to adapt a pump to an added pulley on this saw.
Russ

Willy
02-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Nice saw Russ, that'll sure cut the hurry up and wait BS. Just saw one like that a while back...guy wanted $1000 for it so you did purty good on that one.

Pump on the pulley is not a bad idea if ya got a pump laying around but what about a parts washer pump. PA has the on for 20 bucks now and then...only two wires and your done.

torker
02-07-2008, 12:51 AM
Willy, i already have a complete coolant system with a liltle giant pump etc. Just need to build a pan. The belt driven pump struck me as a good idea as it'd only be pumping coolant when the saw was turning. No need for another on/off switch, little less mess when you lift the saw up, etc.
LOL! Now that I have this saw in hand I'd have to say I'd far rather have one like it for $1000 than one of the light duty 7X12's for $1000 new.
Everything on this saw is beefy and simple.
Willy...come over for coffee and i'll let you saw my neighbours car in half with it :D
Russ

Willy
02-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Thanks Russ, I'm on my way...just give me a few months...I'm kind of busy right now.

For the pump though, if it was electric, I would wire it to come on when the saw motor starts.

Evan
02-07-2008, 01:16 AM
Russ,

Check with Thomas Skinner in Vancouver. They are clearing out bandsaw blade stock at super low below cost prices.

Buy at Below Our Cost !

☼ $1.00 per foot on all
1 Bi-Metal Blades

☼ $1.50 per foot on all
1-1/4 & 1-1/2 Bi-Metal
Blades

☼ $2.00 per foot on all
2 Bi-Metal Blades

☼ Odds & Ends Also
Available

Carbon $0.50 per foot
Bi-Metal Coil Stock 3/8
$0.50 per foot

They also have a long list of blades for as little as 10 cents on the dollar.

ptjw7uk
02-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Nice to see your still active in the tooling department, i'd began to think you had got stuck in the concrete!!!
Nice saw!!
Peter

Alistair Hosie
02-07-2008, 11:25 AM
could you give us an address ERvan for them do they ship?Alistair

JCHannum
02-07-2008, 11:31 AM
It is hard to beat a well made product. The older Wells are among the best. Cast iron and the heavy bow across the front to keep the blade tension. These were built to work and do.

I am not a big proponent of coolant on a horizontal band saw. It makes more of a mess than any other tool in the shop. No matter what is built for a drip pan, it will run down the work piece and drool all over. Put a coffee can under the drip, and the drop will knock it over as soon as it approaches being full.

Unless you are doing heavy production cutting of exotic alloys, I recommend dry cutting.