PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the shop. Should help with matrimonial bliss!

Your Old Dog
02-07-2008, 07:12 PM
No, it ain't a live shop calendar model!

I got this problem. It's my wife. She has absolutly know sense of humor when she steps on a piece of swarf embedded in the carpets. We are also getting another Labrador who will spend more time in the shop as it's a 7 week old puppy. I need to figure out how to keep the floor free of swarf as much as possible. I couldn't use the conventional shop vac as the dust coming out the breather chocked me with my COPD/emphyzima. The wife wanted me to try and fix this household vac. The on/off switch didn't work (but it had a heppa filter!) I told her to just go out and buy a new one.

Well I tried this on the concrete floor and the rug brush worked great at scouring up my floor free from swarf. I ran my magnetic swarf/nail picker upper over it and it comes up clean. This means I can have a bird dog in the shop with me AND, I don't have to listen to SWMBO!

I have enough room in the shop that nearly all the equipment can fit the new floor vac in between the machines.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/39683/2130773000102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2130773000102651310XQAPQp)

Spin Doctor
02-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Swarf or chips in the carpeting frosts my keister too. Not to mention in my shoes. I'm not sure that there is any possible way to keep the stuff from migrating short of striping buck naked and showering when leaving the shop. With a dog. Impossible.

Uhh, you can get dressed again after showering, unless of course the mrs likes you that way.

BobWarfield
02-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Industrial mats in front of the machines help a lot. Put another on the exit to the shop to catch course stuff and a traditional mat to catch the rest.

I have a pair of "shop shoes". Get a pair with no tread, leather soles. They pick up fewer chips. Change your shoes at the door religiously. I've got some steel toes I use when I'm working with heavy stuff, but they've got tread and pick up chips.

I wear a Tilman welding jacket over whatever I have on. It has no pockets or cuffs. Leave it at the door.

Wear a baseball cap to keep chips out of your hair and from dropping behind your safety glasses from above. Leave it at the door.

Vacuum and sweep the chips up constantly.

That'll cut down 99% of tracking chips into the house. The trouble is, SWMBO only needs to get one chip in her big toe and you are dead meat!

J.Ramsey
02-07-2008, 07:54 PM
For the shoe problem a hand wire brush rubbed across the sole/heel will remove most of it.
I doubt the pup would like the same treatment.

Your Old Dog
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM
I have a pair of "shop shoes". Get a pair with no tread, leather soles. They pick up fewer chips. Change your shoes at the door religiously. I've got some steel toes I use when I'm working with heavy stuff, but they've got tread and pick up chips.

I guess you live in the South! If I tried that my shoes would be frozen to the shop floor here near Buffalo :D But now that I think of it, it might be advantageous to build a small wooden box, but some stryrofoam on it, heat it with a 40 watt bulb and put my shop shoes in there. I have a pair of slipons that might work for that.

J Tiers
02-07-2008, 09:32 PM
That shaper will throw chips to places you have never even heard of, let alone been to........ Mine will throw them up to 20 feet. After that, they have probably hit something, so I don't have proof of any longer throws. Of course, I make it grunt, so the chips are thicker. (they don't "clang" though).

I wear shop-only shoes, which get taken off on the way out of the shop (basement).

Ball caps are OK, but sometimes they "reflect" chips behind the glasses.

andy_b
02-07-2008, 10:38 PM
http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/39683/2130773000102651310S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2130773000102651310XQAPQp)

something looks very wrong in that picture. at least, it's something i have never seen before (or longer ago than i can remember). :)

andy b.

kendall
02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
I thinkl it's that big flat grey thing the machines are sitting on, I know there's a name for it, just can't hink of it.

Ken

Dawai
02-07-2008, 11:11 PM
You could wear bib overhalls.. they catch all the shavings and they rest right there on the midsection.

I use my beard also, it catches them and saves them for the shower when I am lathering up.. Sneaky lil devils make you think of wasps in the shower.

OK.. enough humor huh?

Shop apron, shop shoes.. still only half safe..

THE needle swarf I got cutting some slides was the worst thing I ever saw.. recently someone with a air hose found some more, Under something, they hollered, looked like they had petted a porkypine. About fifty embedded needles.
THE HF magnets with the handle to release pick up lots and lots of the Steel. THE aluminum seems to embed in flesh and tears apart as you pick it out.

mechanicalmagic
02-08-2008, 12:01 AM
YOD,
I think I have the same vacuum, (Bissel inexpensive), much faster than a broom for light stuff. I have problems with lathe curls, too big to get in with it set low. And band saw chips sometime get thrown past the sucker, and beyond the rear wheels. So I always use a final pull stroke to clean up.

Since my grinding & wood area is closer to the door inside, it works pretty good for that stuff. But, I don't have a SWIMBO. But I do have a 50+ YO lady with an attitude, nuff said.
Dave

JRouche
02-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Damm!!! You just had to work a story in there to just gloat on yer real treasure!!! All that floor mister!! Im jealous.. Ok, you can stop, you have a great shop floor there. Mind selling some. You do ebay?? LOL

Oh, for the chips, dunno, I like the bristle brush type mud cleaners for the boots, works well on chips but doesn't help the pooch out much. And you really dont want the poor guy getting a stainless chip in his boot. Maybe them rubber mats with the one inch holes in them like they have in restaurants..

I have a similar problem with the kids. They always wanna be out in the shop. They are three and seven and havent realized the benefits of shoes yet LOL So its a strict rule. Cant come in the garage without shoes on.

Maybe some ground rules for Mr pooch.. Get yer shoes on boy or you cant come out to play in the shop. :) JRouche

Your Old Dog
02-08-2008, 05:58 AM
JRouche, actually you're right! I'm pretty proud of the floor. My shop in my other house was really cluttered. I vowed to try and keep everything off the floor that I could so that it would be less of a fire hazard, easier to find lost parts, easier to clean and just plain be more inviting to work in. I have the luxury of having enough room to store materials and non-needed toys elsewhere and just have tools in the shop. It's been a lifetime getting here though, I know some of you guys are way ahead of me in that regard, good on you.

JTiers, I think you're right. With just the little experiance i have with the shaper it seems to launch the metal chips with zest. I'm glad they're steel and not boogers :D Even if they were, I might run it just to listen to it run. It makes the sound of a lullaby!