PDA

View Full Version : OT: Looking for a computer peripherals bulletin board

Orrin
02-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Gentlefolk:

Does anyone know of a good computer peripherals/accessories bulletin board? I'm looking for a mature site that is not filled with trash-talkers and trolls. I'd like to find a generic site in which all brands of printers could be discussed.

My old HP DeskJet printer is on its last legs and I'll soon need to buy a new one.

My biggest gripe with the HP printers that I've had, so far, (one of the early home/small office LaserJets and my current DeskJet 1220C) has been jamming on heavy paper and card stock. The 1220C won't even handle heavy photo paper and their straight-through feed system is a joke, not having any way of feeding straight or establishing accurate register.

Next to print quality, my next most important criteria is reliable and precise feeding of 8-1/2" X 14" heavy stock. I think I'd prefer a laser printer and use my old inkjet for color. The Canon D320 and D340 look to be a good value. I'm not sure if the D320 takes 14" paper, though.

Would you care to recommend something?

It is a big mistake to rely upon sales people to answer questions about their printers because they don't know zip; furthermore, I've never seen any manufacturers' descriptions that address the issue of card-stock feeding.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Orrin

tattoomike68
02-08-2008, 01:56 PM
I like canon printers myself. I found ink refills at the dollar store so it cost almost nothing to run.

now days printers cost almost nothing, its the ink where they milk your $$$.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Canon%20PIXMA%20MX310%20Multifunction%20Printer: 1994929509

As far as a tech forums all the ones I go to are full of trolls.

Joel
02-08-2008, 04:14 PM
After owning countless printers, I have had far and away the best experience with Cannon.
I currently have an MP780 4 in 1. It wasn't the cheapest one out there, but is quite feature laden and has delivered several years of flawless service. Thick card stock has not been a problem. It actually has an adjustment (via software) but I usually forget to change the setting and have no trouble anyway. At the time of purchase, Consumer Reports had found Cannons to be the cheapest printers to operate, and my experience seems to agree.
A printer is just another tool - one that can be an irritation to use (the eventuality of almost every HP or Epson I have owned), or one that can be relied upon to deliver consistent, quality service.

ptjw7uk
02-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Have you thought of a Canon business inkjet. I bought a Canon BIJ 1300 its only A4 I paid 34(68$) for it it can handle quite thick card with its rear entry feed. They also made an A3 printer in the same series. The only downside I have found is the high cost of replacement inks in the UK. In the US I think the printer is the 2000 or 4000 model and takes 120ml and 80 ml ink tanks which in the US are reasonable priced.
Worth a look.
Peter

kendall
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Another vote for the Canon, very good printers.

A few other manufacturers are switching to the seperate ink tanks, so it's not as good a reason as it used to be, but the drivers, economy and print quality for canon are normally top notch, and overall they last a while.

Ken